Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Scratching & Started Sneezing

Lauren Oliver

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

Truffle has started sneezing a bit.
It's not constant, maybe 5 times in a row then nothing for a few hours and then a couple of times.
It's been going on for about 3 days.

He's gaining weight really well eating normally, he's started sleeping in his loft area uncovered which he's never done before but I think he's just getting confident and sleeping near me as it's where I sit in our lounge.

He's active as normal, very vocal.

But all I've ever read about Guinea pigs is that sneezing isn't normal like it is for humans and could mean something is up.

I called my vets, they arent exotic vets because the exotic vet in my area aren't taking any new patients during coronavirus, and he said it's nothing to worry about and it's just them rejecting something from their nostrils. He told me to monitor him for a few days and record his episodes.

He also is scratching quite a lot with his feet and teeth!
It's been going on a week or so now and I've been treating him with Beaphar.

I've done 2 treatments of this all over, 1 pipette per treatment as per instruction.
I've done this twice in a week as unsure how often it should be done, no information regarding this on the box.
He still seems to be itching and biting his skin. I don't know if it's a normal amount or not but I never see my other Guinea pig scratch at all!

No photos as the app isn't letting me upload any!

Would love to some help and advice please!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Lauren Oliver

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs sneeze, just like people do. It could mean a URI, or dusty hay, or allergies to something else, or nothing.

If you're using Beaphar Spot-On, it's not strong enough to do the job. You need a stronger ivermectin preparation, given once a week for three or four weeks. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/111160-How-to-treat-for-mites-and-lice.
The product you recommend there I can't get in England and I can't find an equivalent on amazon. The only stuff coming up for me on Amazon is the beaphar stuff?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Bummer. It's only sold there as oral Stromectol tablets.

What is the strength of the Beophar you're using? And how large is the dose?

Lauren Oliver

Cavy Slave
Bummer. It's only sold there as oral Stromectol tablets.

What is the strength of the Beophar you're using? And how large is the dose?
150ug per pipette, not sure how much liquid per pipette but he's the 300g to 750g dosage!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How much does your pig weigh?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He's not very big, so the Beaphar should be enough for him. If he were full grown, you might need two pipettes of the stuff.

It should only be given once a week. Three or four doses, each seven days apart.

Is there any hair loss in the areas where he's scratching?

FYI, I don't think you can upload pictures from a phone, but you can from a computer or tablet.

Lauren Oliver

Cavy Slave
He's not very big, so the Beaphar should be enough for him. If he were full grown, you might need two pipettes of the stuff.

It should only be given once a week. Three or four doses, each seven days apart.

Is there any hair loss in the areas where he's scratching?

FYI, I don't think you can upload pictures from a phone, but you can from a computer or tablet.
Yeah he's still tiny! Just weighed him and he's just 600g.

So is the box the full set? So once I've done all 4 pipettes 7 days apart he'll have had the full medication cycle?

He doesn't have any loss of fur at all!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know what you mean by "a full set." He needs three to four doses, each 7 days apart.

Lauren Oliver

Cavy Slave
I don't know what you mean by "a full set." He needs three to four doses, each 7 days apart.
Yeah I mean the full box is the total dose?

Do I just put the whole pipette behind his ears and rub it in or do I put it all over him?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You use four pipettes, one each week, seven days apart. Put it behind the ear in the bald spot, fold the ear over, and rub it in.

I have no idea how many pipettes are in the box, and it doesn't matter. You need four pipettes however they come packaged.

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
This stuff should work without getting your pig really wet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PHARMAQ-Iv...d=1&keywords=Ivermectin&qid=1589131273&sr=8-2

If your piggie weighs 600grams, he should have 0,3mg of ivermectin (dosage for topical is 0,5mg per kg). This means with the Beaphar he needs 2 tubes at a time.
Beaphar often times says to repeat after 4 weeks, but as bpatters mentioned it should be repeated every week and 3 to 4 times.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.