Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Scared of losing my pigs - please help

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
I wasn't sure where to put this thread really as its guinea pig related but more about my life really. The situation is this - An ex friend has decided to make trouble for me by calling the police and saying that I neglect my kids and starve them and that my pigs take up half the house and the house is dirty and untidy. It was a lie about me neglecting my kids but I admit that the house had got untidy and I'd neglected to keep the floor free from hay due to various problems in my life right now which have caused me to be ill with stress/anxiety and depression. Even though I was ill, at no point did I ever neglect my pigs, please be assured of that. They were/are always cleaned regularly.The majority of my pigs are housed in what normally would be the dining area. Its more than 9 feet away from the food preparation area.

The police came round and told me that these kind of calls have to be reported to social services, who would be visiting me in time and that I would need to clean up a bit (which I now have done). I don't have many friends anymore since several people have said that I shouldn't have animals in the kitchen, they're a health hazard, put them in the shed, get rid of them blah blah..... God I hate some people with their attitude to animals.

I'm really worried that they will try to make me get rid of my pigs. If they do I will fight it every step of the way, believe me. I've already told them that I'll kill myself without my pigs. They're not a health hazard. What about people who keep cat litter trays in the kitchen and cats walk all over the work tops? No one says anything about them.

I don't know what will happen if the worse comes to the worse since my house is really small and theres no other big enough location to put them in. Please will you guys help me if this does happen, by writing emails and letters? I'm at my wits end.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry, what a horrible situation....

I'm sure once they actually meet you and how you take care of both your kids and your pets they will realise there has been a mistake.

Still, it doesn't help to be prepared. All I can suggest is just to keep the place tidy for the time being, and make sure the piggies' cage is clean. There is nothing abnormal with having pets, even in or near the kitchen. As you say, plenty of people have cats which walk all over the work surfaces and have a litter tray in the kitchen. I've also known many people who keep small furries (usually hamsters) in the kitchen. You could always mention this if they comment on it.

I very much doubt you will have a problem, but I imagine you could find loads of peolpe to stand up for you if necessary. Where your kids are concerned your family, their school etc should be happy to tell them your kids are well cared for, and you could always get a reference from the rescue you adopted from for the pigs.

I really feel for you, big hugs and best of luck!

MinnieMay9

Cavy Slave
I would think that if they come in and see you don't have them on the kitchen counter or anything it would be fine. Also, you did say that you cleaned-up in general. I would think that they would come in and see that your kids don't look neglected(if they are around at the time) or that the house isn't gross that they wouldn't actually do anything.
Either way I'm going to be hoping the best for you and all your children (fur and human)

gooberific

Cavy Slave
I've known people who were visited in that manner, for having five or six dogs and four kids in a filthy environment, you just have to make sure you have food for kids in the fridge/cabinets, the place is SAFE and all that. If it happens to be sparkling clean, even better. I'm sure they're more concerned about your kids than your piggies. Keep in mind about pets and them being in/near the kitchen, all our furry friends get into mischief.

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
Thank you guys, you have put my mind at rest somewhat. I'm grateful to be able to confide in others who care about guinea pigs as much as I do. Most people seem to think animals are disposable, to get rid of if they become inconvenient. It upsets me and I don't want to have such people as my friends. I was starting to think the whole world was against me and my pigs but its good to know I have folk on here who are on my side.

Jane_G

Cavy Slave
Well those people would freak if they came into my house. Cookie's cage is on my kitchen counter and her big hay container is in the kitchen too. And *gasp* my cats food bowls are in the kitchen too!

I think some people just need something to do. Tell these people to get a hobby and leave you alone.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
How many/what kind of other animals do you have? Is it just the guinea pigs? How many pigs? Those things shouldn't matter if you keep up with it, but trust me, it matters.

In most social service situations, at least here in the states, if you can clean up the area and keep it clean/sanitary and can clearly show it's not posing any kind of health risk to you or your children, they can let it drop, or at least work with you.

I wouldn't recommend attempting to argue what other people do with their pets, as far as cats in kitchen areas, etc. It's certainly a point worth making but social workers are there to do an investigation into the specifics of your situation and make a determination based on their findings. Focus on your situation, because they are.

If you think it's clean the way it is and they come in and tell you to do things differently or make recommendations, do what they say and show that you are willing to work with them. Make sure you tell them that you got behind on some things because of certain circumstances but that it's better now and show them that you are able to keep up with the house, kids, pigs, and all. Be consistent and you stand a much better chance at getting them out of your hair a lot sooner, with your pigs and kids all in tow.

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
Too be honest, I wouldn't worry, just make sure you keep the house safe and extra clean for now (put cleaning products in a locked room or cupboard, dont leave things like kettles and toasters on the work top). My mums friend had the same thing, she kept guinea pigs in her "garage" (it was converted to make a guinea pig room ;) ) and they were about 4 feet away from where the food was prepared, the cats were fed on the counter top (they were fed a raw diet! god forbid, haha) that was next to the door to the kitchen (they were in the utility room) and she got through it fine, just try find some people (friends, family, work friends) to back you up and just stay calm. ((((hugs))))

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
I would also avoid saying things like "I would kill myself without pigs." That just makes you seem crazy to them and they will think you care about the pigs more than the kids.

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
You can also make your house smell nice by putting cinnamon and apples in a pot with water to boil. You can also use oranges. Every little thing helps.
Just make your house look normal. If your kids are clean and fed you should be alright.

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
How many/what kind of other animals do you have? Is it just the guinea pigs? How many pigs? Those things shouldn't matter if you keep up with it, but trust me, it matters.
I only have guinea pigs. There are 5 girls in the kitchen/diner and 2 boys in the living room. I'm obsessively sweeping up poo and hay several times a day now and cleaning the cages every 3-4 days. I wish social services would just come and get it over with.

This is my big cage in the kitchen https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/8719/ppuser/4667 Even though the room's clean now it still looks horrible with that awful yellow paint on half the wall. The bottom is white where I ripped off the old wood cladding. I'm going to go over it all with magnolia paint tomorrow to make it all look nice and clean.

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
I think as long as you are keeping the house clean and continue taking care of the pigs' cages when needed you should not have any trouble. Some days I feel the guinea pig's cages are cleaner than my own room. :p *hugs*

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
Hi Maisie,
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear your going through so much right now. I read through all the threads here and agree...Make your home appear "normal," keep it tidy, use some nice scented potpourrie in a simmering pot. Keep the pen tidy as I know you are. When they come be polite and courteous show them you are open minded and agreeable to any recommendations. I'm sorry you have rotten neighbors. I'm a true believe what comes around....goes around and one day they'll get theirs. I feel their focus will be on cleanlyness and safety and checking if the children are in neglect. I can't imagine how hard it's been for you to be going through anxiety and depression and now have this to worry about, I wish I lived nearby so I can come over and help you. My heart goes out to you and your family and pigs. I hope only for the best...please keep us posted.
God Bless

mbator

Cavy Slave
Boy that just burns me. Really its none of anyone's business, but since you are in this situation now, I would just make sure your home is clean make that a priority along with taking care of your children. Having piggies in the home is no different than people with caged birds, dogs, cats and so on. As long as you try and keep everything tidy that is the main thing while you are going through this. My place is not huge either and I have my piggies in my bedroom, I mean I am not asking anyone to sleep with them and they are not on the kitchen table so I get what you are saying. Hang in there and I hope the best for you. Keeping your house safe for your children is number one and after that you will be okay. The main reason they would come over after a call like that is to make sure the welfare of your children are ok. I hope this helps you. ❤️ ;)

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
It sounds like you're doing everything you can to be proactive - and I definitely think that will pay off for you if it ever amounts to anything. Best of luck to you, your piggies, and your kids.

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
I received a letter from Social Services to the effect that they are not planning to visit unless they get any more reports about me. It looks like I got myself in a tiz over nothing but I'm so relieved now. Thanks everyone for your support, it was a big help.

Fanch

Cavy Slave
Im so happy things worked out for now!!! **hugs still**

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.