Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Refusing to eat his pellets

aspecht

Cavy Slave
For about four days now, my rabbit Max has been refusing to eat his pellets. I am still mixing his old pellets with the new ones (slowing increasing the amount of Oxbow I add) and he was doing fine with that. Then all of a sudden he's only wanting his hay and lettuce. He tears up the lettuce but just sniffs the pellets and walks away. IDK what to do? Should I be concerned? Or will he be ok not eating pellets?

Rayen

Cavy Slave
What kind of pellets was he eating before? Rabbits can be really finicky about different pellet brands/types, especially if you're switching from an alfalfa pellet to a timothy one. The Oxbow pellets may not be as tasty or rich as the old brand, and if you're at the point of only adding a small amount of the old food in with the new, he may not want to bother digging through the dish for only a few yummy pellets.

Pellets aren't a huge part of an adult rabbit's diet. If he's still eating a decent amount of hay and vegetables, not eating pellets for awhile isn't really going to hurt. I would just keep offering the food and really watch to see if he's eating any of it. Make sure to keep offering fresh pellets each day. If he really won't eat them, you may want to try offering a bowl of only the old pellets to see if he really won't eat any pellets, or just the new brand.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
What kind of pellets was he eating before? Rabbits can be really finicky about different pellet brands/types, especially if you're switching from an alfalfa pellet to a timothy one. The Oxbow pellets may not be as tasty or rich as the old brand, and if you're at the point of only adding a small amount of the old food in with the new, he may not want to bother digging through the dish for only a few yummy pellets.

Pellets aren't a huge part of an adult rabbit's diet. If he's still eating a decent amount of hay and vegetables, not eating pellets for awhile isn't really going to hurt. I would just keep offering the food and really watch to see if he's eating any of it. Make sure to keep offering fresh pellets each day. If he really won't eat them, you may want to try offering a bowl of only the old pellets to see if he really won't eat any pellets, or just the new brand.

He was on Producer's Pride. The cheap stuff. He used to eat the whole dish without an issue. And of course, after I posted this last night he sat and ate the whole dish of pellets! And all of his lettuce. IDK what was up with that but I guess LOL. I will continue to watch and offer the new pellets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.