Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Rats in the trunk.

Henrysmommy

Cavy Slave
Hey, I'm dealing with a situation right now. I found an SUV on campus with a cage that has three rats in it. The windows are cracked partially but the temperature changes rapidly here hour to hour and they are in full sun during the day. The car hasn't moved since Friday. I showed some friends and one of them told an RD. I don't know if I'm over re-acting but I want to call the humane society, it seems like animal abuse to me, intentional or not. If It were a guinea pig they would have to drag me away kicking and screaming from the car- I just don't know enough about rats to feel justified screaming murder. The rats seem clean and are very friendly, but no food is visible and the the water is in direct sun light and clearly warm because it's condensing along the sides/top.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Call the Humane Society. No question.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Please call someone. They will die in there without your interference. It is too hot for rats to be in a locked car in the sun. In AZ it is against the law and the people can get ticketed for leaving animals in a parked car. We as citizens are allowed to break a window to get to the animals.
Please call the Humane Society or the police or the campus police and get them out of there and to a safe place. Thank you.

Henrysmommy

Cavy Slave
We got the campus police to come! Poor ratties

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
Wonderful news!! So what happened? Did they get them out?

Henrysmommy

Cavy Slave
:( No! They are still in there. No one will do anything, MI doesn't have a no parked car law for pets. It's so cold today. I saw them huddled together and stayed with them for about 20 minutes. The police wont do anything but try and contact the owners, I've been asking around who the car belongs to like crazy and left a note on the windshield with friends.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
Can you call Your local humane society. Do you have Hey local PETA Chapter. Keep calling the police. Explain to them The rats Are going to die Not taken out of The car. Can you share Hmmm phone numbers So we can help Call.

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
OMG! That's awful... Any news?

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
Ask the police to run the plate so maybe you can track down the owners. They have the tool to unlock a door. They can get in the car. The rats could be held until the owners are found. At least they would be safe.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
P.S. Thank you for caring and all you are trying to do.

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
great call suzilovespiggie!
Doesn't campus have that info?
How cold is there?

Henrysmommy

Cavy Slave
Humane society isn't open and we don't have a PETA chapter here. It will be 47F here tonight at 38F tomorrow night, raining both nights and in the 50's today and the next two days. My friends are going to tape signs on the car that say "This is animal cruelty" with an arrow pointing to the cage and another sign that says "Would you leave your dog alone in a car for over a week?" I'm calling the humane society as soon as they open in the morning, and taking pictures.

I can get ahold of PETA. If I know the location, I can see if I can get you some help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Henrysmommy

Cavy Slave
From what I've been told they are running the plates- or were as of last night. It looks like they left a parking ticket too. I've been talking to everyone who lives in that hall about it, no one knows who the car belongs to.

Also- the day I first posted about this it was in the high 70's. So it isn't just the cold. Over heating is an issue as well. How can someone do this? There's also a small pet carrier next to the cage, we can't tell if there is an animal in it or if it's used to transport the rats.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
Thank you for trying so hard. It isn't ideal at all but at least they have each other to cuddle.
Yes, please call as soon as you can in the morning. Keep at the police, like I said they have a tool to unlock the doors. They should be able to get in the car. Even your campus police might have the tool. I would think if you and some others kept bugging them, just maybe they will do something. How about the ASPCA? Any chapters in your area?
Not only the elements are a bad thing, they are going to, if they have not already, run out of food and water.
I will call in the am. if you give me the numbers and the location of where you are at.

Henrysmommy

Cavy Slave
I think whoever owns them is feeding them and watering them because the bedding looks clean every day, but must be doing it at night because NO ONE has seen them- and I know everyone in that hall. I'll get the number on the car for you too.

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
please take pictures of the suv... I can get that distribute fast! You are great for doing all this! And im glad you have self control not to open those doors yourself.

logansmomma1228

Cavy Slave
WTH?! I live in MI as well and the weather has definitely been, well, Michigan weather! I can't believe the cops won't let the rats out and hold them at least. That is complete animal cruelty and I would have called a tow truck to bust into that sh.. tuff myself!

I am so peeved right now, those poor rats :( I hope they get them out soon. I absolutely HATE it when someone has the ability to do something, but they won't. Obviously the "owner" of those poor rats knows they are in there, and if they haven't been answering the phone or moved their car for days, then get those poor things out of there!

Henrysmommy

Cavy Slave
If it were a cat or a dog, something would have been done the first day it was noticed.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
What time is it in MI?

Henrysmommy

Cavy Slave
A couple minutes away from midnight.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.