Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Rabbit and Guinea pigs?

KatherinesPigs

Cavy Slave
So, I have been seeing rabbits online and reading about them and they sound like a very cool pet. I really liked that they can actually be litter trained, not just the "poop mostly in the box but still goes everywhere else" kind that pigs have. I know that they are smart and can learn tricks which interests me as I train my dogs. I also found that they can get along with cats and sometimes dogs, but can injure guinea pigs. I plan on getting an older one from a shelter where they already know their personality and everything. But I wonder if getting a rabbit would be too much to handle with a cat, two guinea pigs and three dogs in the house. I am only really responsible for the pigs and the cat; I'm only sixteen. Would a rabbit be too much? Please correct me if I have misinformation.

Suzzanne

Cavy Gazer
Ok first you need to know rabbits like to nibble on every thing. Like wires, walls, bed post ect. They need space too, so you can't just keep them in their cage all day. Also they can bit, kick, scratch you. I've had rabbits a lot in my life and the one thing most new owners don't know is the chewing and bitting. Being sixteen I'm sure you have a lot of electronics. Computer wires, cell phones chargers, tv wires, and I'm sure there out in plan site. Also most people see that they poop these little round poops so they think there pretty easy to keep clean, but they poop 24/7 and there pee smells. I'm sorry if it sounds like all I'm giving you is all the bad things about rabbits, but if you know the bad parts of having a rabbit and think your ok with all this, then the rest is easy, well with a little trail and error.
I loved my rabbits, but Iwent threw so many cords, and then they chewed a big whole in my wall lol it's like baby proofing your home, when you think it's all good, you walk in the room and it's a disaster. Lol

Suzzanne

Cavy Gazer
Oh sorry I forgot to mention they get scared easy. And that can result in heart attacks. I had this one rabbit for years, he was the best. He did not like other animals or my kids, but he loved me. He had a dog at the time, very well trained dog who also loved the rabbit. I kept them apart because the rabbit did not share the same love like the dog did. One day while I was picking the kids up from school, the dog got in my room ( which was where the rabbit was in his cage). I think my dog tried to play with him and even thought the cage was big and my rabbit had hide away places, he got to scared and died. Vet said it was a heart attack probably brought on from being scared. So sad... That was the last rabbit I ever had because we always had dogs and I didn't want to take that chance again. Just a little info on dogs and rabbits. Not all rabbits are like my old rabbit, some do like other animals, but it's really hard to tell if your rabbit will be ok with your other animals.

KatherinesPigs

Cavy Slave
I knew about the chewing and I've handled puppies and cats that like to scratch and bite you, I know that's not like a rabbit really... But anyway I knew about the heart attack thing, but I thought it mostly happened to rabbits outside. Would dogs suddenly barking cause one? Also, is their pee worse than cat pee? Cat pee is awful but manageable. I don't really have any wires exposed in the room I'd be keeping the rabbit in, and I think I can manage to easily bunny proof it beside the furniture, but that's why they make wood putty! And lastly are there any good commercial cages sold for bunnies?

Suzzanne

Cavy Gazer
Yes the pee is way worse lol it's so hard to explain the small, I cleaned and cleaned yet the smell stayed haha. The rabbit bitting and scratching is worse then a cats or puppy's so keep that in mind k and the heart attack thing is really hit or miss, anything and give him one. I did have my dog and rabbit for years together in the same house and my dog was not a big barker but it did bark here and there, I'm not sure why that one time it gave him a heart attack. It's really up to the rabbit and what is scaring it at the time and how scared it is. And I had my cage made, the ones I found at stores where way to small , the only big ones where for out side rabbits, the inside ones where just boo lol and they are costly. Pet smart had a nice long inside one, but it was a few 100$ at the time I seen it. Don't forget about the wall chewing too, shoe chewing, wellBasically anything that it can reach it will chew. And when they bit, they bring blood. Even the most well trained rabbit will still kick and bit at one time. Also I know there are wild rabbits, but what you will be getting is not wild, so if you get a rabbit and it's just to much, you can not let it go out side. It will die. And most animal shelters do not tAke rabbits. See if there is a rescue shelter by where you live, that way if it don't work out you can bring it back to them.. Good luck

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
No commercial cages. You can buy kits though just like the guinea pig cages.

I would also caution you because rabbits live 10-12 years. Even an older rabbit is likely to be alive and well when you graduate high school. You need to think of you college living plans (dorms, apartment, room matesstaying home?)

Rabbits need to be fixed if the shelter doesn't already fix them. That bill will run you on average between 150-300 depending on the vet.

Unlike puppies and kittens rabbits will not grow out of their chewing stage and some never learn to stop. Wires and wood furniture is not all you have to worry about, a stubborn rabbit will chew baseboards, carpet, clothing, books, ect.

They can be trained, some more easily than others. My bunny Pepper has learned a few tricks already. She'll go to her cage when told, come when called, lets me pick her up and she's learning to walk on a leash (sort of).

KatherinesPigs

Cavy Slave
I would never "release" an animal outside- that's just cruel. I expected there to be no good commercial cages. I knew how long they live, and I already plan to have a living situation that has room for my pigs and my cat. I might just wait until I move out, but I may just adopt one this summer. I know to keep anything of value hidden away keep a watchful eye on them. Can you train them to chew on their toys and maybe spray some vinegar or something to keep the damage to a minimum or am I just dreaming here?

Suzzanne

Cavy Gazer
Ummm none of the sprays or rubs worked to keep my rabbits from chewing. But I can't say for every rabbit. They don't chew because there hungry or think it would be fun, it's what they do. Kinda like a cow is always chewing on cud. Rabbits chew 24/7. We are not trying to convene you to not get a rabbit, we are just letting you know the issues with owning one so you know ahead of time. I was so over whelmed with the damage with my first rabbit I could not handle it. Granted I was only a teen like you and had a full life in school and sports so I was not the best person to have any animals that took that much time. If I only new then , what I know now I would have waiting until I had my own place ( aka my mom was less happy about the damage then I was ). Lol but in the end it's what you think you can handle. If you think you are prepared for owning a rabbit then go ahead a adopt one, just on the safe side make sure you can return the little guy if it comes down to it. That way it's a back up plan so you want find your self so overwhelmed k

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I used both Ick and Bitter Apple sprays. They worked on some of my rabbits but not the very determined ones.

Owning a rabbit is a lifestyle, you have to meld the way you live around them. IE cover cords, buying furniture that will be safe from them, carpet squares over carpet, ect.

Check out rabbit.org and read everything you can on rabbit care, rabbit proofing and decide from there if a rabbit is right for you.

KatherinesPigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all your useful advice. I do have a lot of time for a rabbit and have been reading about them further and I still think that I could take care of a rabbit, although I am not sure if I should adopt during my summer vacation or really just wait two years or more just so I won't damage my parents house even further. I really like to be extra prepared when I bring a new animal into my life so I think for a rabbit I will have to see what would be best for the rabbit's quality of life before I adopt. If anyone has any more advice please feel free to share! Thank you

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
I know you've been getting great advice from others, but I want to make sure your Parents are okay with another pet. Not just another "pet" but potentially another Vet Bill. Not saying something will happen to the Rabbit, Guinea Pigs, Dogs and a Cat but you have to be prepared to handle multiple vet bills simultaneously or your parents are okay for paying for the expenses. I have a dog and guinea pig sick at the same time (week) my bill for the dog came out to $3,700 and my Guinea Pig bill $675 all in one week and it doesn't factor the ongoing treatment expenses.

You might of done a lot research and a uber responsible 16 year old who can handle taking care of your furry creatures, but I suggest you talk to your parents about the finances as well.

KatherinesPigs

Cavy Slave
@ThePigAlchemist Yes I thought about that even before I considered a rabbit. I think I will stay at home and commute to college. It would be hard for me to find an apartment now with the pigs and a cat so I think commuting is a better option than hoping to find a place to rent that would allow a mini-zoo lol Also I do have some money set aside for an emergency and I would have to pay any vet expenses for my guinea pigs or -if I do get a rabbit-my rabbit.

gatorgirl

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all your useful advice. I do have a lot of time for a rabbit and have been reading about them further and I still think that I could take care of a rabbit, although I am not sure if I should adopt during my summer vacation or really just wait two years or more just so I won't damage my parents house even further. I really like to be extra prepared when I bring a new animal into my life so I think for a rabbit I will have to see what would be best for the rabbit's quality of life before I adopt. If anyone has any more advice please feel free to share! Thank you

I really think you should wait. You can *always* get a bunny in the future, but you do have a lot of pets that need a lot of care now and you are facing summer vacation. Rabbits take an extraordinary amount of care. One idea would be to foster one from a shelter and see how you like it. I'm an adult -- waaay old. LOL But I did a lot of research on rabbits because when I first was thinking of getting a small pet, that was what I wanted. A flop eared bunny - so cute. But after all the research, I decided on guinea pigs. While GPs still obviously add a lot to my daily routine, it's no where near that of a rabbit. If I were you, I would love on the large menagerie you have and put the rabbit idea away for later. Just my 2 wise-old cents.

KatherinesPigs

Cavy Slave
@gatorgirl Honestly, I was thinking the same thing. It would probably be best to wait, at least now I know what to expect and I can investigate it later (probably after college). Thanks again for all your rabbit wisdom. At least if I get a rabbit in the future I will be prepared. :)

Tarams

Cavy Slave
I haven't read through all the comments, so this may have already been mentioned, but keep in mind they can leave 10+ years, which means you'll be in your twenties! a time when many go off to school! travel! became very busy, etc.
Not to discourage you, I have had bunnies since I was 16 yrs old, am now 34, but I lived at home while in school. Just something to think about :)

Tarams

Cavy Slave
You could also consider being a foster mom for a shelter or rescue group, may give you a better idea about the care required, or adopt a senior bunny.

KatherinesPigs

Cavy Slave
@ThePigAlchemist I wanted rats too! But my mom is freaked out by rats and mice. One time she found a mouse in her oven. I tell her they are not wild and different from wild rats but she won't budge. Also, I was planning on adopting an older bunny, just so you know their personality and its not usually a 10+ year commitment with senior rabbits. But I will do that later when I have the time to care for a bunny.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I vouch for waiting as well on adopting a new rabbit. Things change a lot as a teenager and there are already enough animals in your home.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.