Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quick: Chylorphyll Pine Bedding, Is it Ok?

tomcat6

Cavy Slave
Hello. I need to change my guenia pigs bedding and I have just purchased some bedding. All the store had was Hartz Natural Pine with Chylorphyll. I just want to make sure this is alright before I put it in.

Trega

Cavy Slave
Unless it is kiln-dried pine do not use it. Try aspen bedding instead.

tomcat6

Cavy Slave
I was just wondering about the chylorophyll. I always use regular pine. I'm not sure if its kiln dried. Its Petspick. I've used it since I've had my pigs and it works great. I'm going now so I'll check back later. Bye.

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
I don't *think* the chlorophyll would be a problem (I searched google for it, and from what I understand it is just the green pigment that gives plants their green color, and is sometimes used as a product dye) but I can't be totally sure on that.
Pine bedding is ok to use, but it is preferrable that you air it out in a box for 24 hours before you put it in their cage....to dry out some of the oils that can cause repsiratory problems.

If it were me, I would just set some of the pine out to air, and wait until tommorrow when someone can confirm or discredit my assumption that Chlorophyll is ok.

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
Chlorophyll is in grass and many other things you feed your piggies. I don't think it would be the issue. Someone else will have to address the pine (or previous posts).

I'm getting back into pigland though so don't take my word for it.

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
OK Ive searched both the forums here and at Guinea Lynx and every topic I have found cant say for sure that there is any health issue with chlorophyll bedding. I do want to mention though, that I found quite a few posts that say when the bedding gets wet, it will stain the bellies and feet of your lighter colored pigs green.

Trega

Cavy Slave
No regular pine is not ok! Please stop using it.

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
"The most commonly used beddings are pine shavings and processed paper products but you will find a number of interesting and sometimes innovative beddings."
Taken from Guinea Lynx :: Bedding

"PINE SHAVINGS
In the U.S. dried pine shavings are an economical, convenient, and useful bedding material for your guinea pigs. Small bags are sold in most stores that sell pet supplies. Farm supply stores sell a huge bag very reasonably ($5 to $6). This 3.25 cu. ft. compressed bale yields about 9.75 cu. ft. when decompressed.

All bedding materials have pros and cons. Some cavy owners object to pine, believing that the shavings' volatile oils may harm the liver when used long term or the respiratory system. Should you have any concerns, opening the bag and dumping a third or so of the shavings into a large open container for several days will allow the volatile oils to dissipate.

The weaker the pine smell, the fewer volatile oils will be present. Be sure that any pine shavings you purchase are dry. If the shavings in the bag are wet (stored outside in the rain), return them to the store. Any wet bedding is subject to mold.

Pros:
Low cost
Availability
Efficacy

Cons:
Sticks to towels and fleece.
Not as soft as paper products
Concern with possible respiratory and liver problems (see bedding to AVOID) "
Taken from: Guinea Lynx :: Bedding - Wood Products

"PINE: And if you're using pine, be sure to air the shavings thoroughly and use in a well ventilated cage. Airing the shavings will allow the volatile oils to dissipate. "
Taken from: Guinea Lynx :: Beddings to Avoid

Pine bedding is preferred by many, and avoided by many. The fact is it IS ok to use IF:
1) you used Kiln Dried Pine or
2) you air the shavings out to get rid of the oils/strong scent.

Cedar shavings are never ok.

tomcat6

Cavy Slave
Oh! Did anyone see my post a few monthes ago? I was having some problems with my guinea pig because when he tried to squeak loudly, he made a squaking noise. This could be because of the pine right?? You said it can cause respirtory infections. Only, I've been using it since I've had them, which is about 4 years, and the problem only arose a few monthes ago. The vet said to make sure to only give veggies as a treat so that they will eat their regular food to get vitamin C and to remember to use the vitamin drops. I have been doing this and he seems better. He doesn't make the noise anymoe, but on occasion he will.

smartorl

Cavy Slave
The oils in pine are cumulative, this makes it like smoking for a human, the more you smoke over time the more effects you can show. Some animals are very resistant and will never show any symptoms, however, it doesn't mean that damage is not being done internally or that they won't decline rapidly if their immune system gets compromised. Glad to hear that your pig is doing better.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Your vet has no clue what he's talking about. They need 1 cup of veggies per day, they are not a treat. Do not use vitamin drops, they distort the taste of the water and are not affective at all after dissolving in the water. As long as they're getting their 1 cup of veggies per day, there's no need to vitamin C drops. What does the noise sound like? Does it sound like an owl hooting? Or does he have any crustiness on his nose or eyes?

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
I would be curious as to how the chlorophyll gets INTO the wood that they're putting in there. Wood, as a general rule, does not produce chrolophyll because it is not harvesting sunlight for energy production (on account of being inside the tree)

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
Ditto Fourb. Tomc, your vet is seriously misinformed.
Unless you replace the water/vitamin drops constantly, they are useless. They break down in the water. They can make the water taste bad causing the pigs to not drink as much as they would/should. And, the most important con against them is since they are in the water if your pig isnt drinking ALL the water daily, or if you have more than one pig drinking from the same bottle...you have no way of knowing and can almost bet that your pigs are not getting the required amount of daily Vitamin C.

Fruits should be given as a treat. Veggies should not be given only as a treat. Each pig should be getting a minimum of 1 cup daily of things such as romaine lettuce, green bell peppers, corn husks/silks. You can find alot of useful information here: Guinea Lynx :: Diet
If your pigs need extra vit c for some reason, you are better to give them 25 mg of vit c tablets rather than the drops in the water.
Also, Ly&Pigs just posted a fantastic veggie chart here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-guinea-pigs/22156-cavy-nutrition-charts.html#post254730

If your pig was sounding "hoarse" it was likely the pine bedding if you are not airing it out or using kiln dried. It may have caused some airway irritation over time.

Edited to say: I also want to add that Vit C in pig pellets also break down over time. I wouldnt advise counting on your pellets as the source for their vit c either. Each pig should only be eating 1/8th cup of pellets per day.

tomcat6

Cavy Slave
I know all of you say that the drops are useless, but since I've been putting them in again, the squaking noise is much less frequent, so I believe its working. And I do give them a cup of fruits or veggies each day. It was just before that my Dad thought they ate them all the time and didn't give them any dry food when he looked after them, so they didn't their Vitamin C. Thanks for you help guys. I'll be sure to air out the bedding from now on. And they drink plenty, so its ok. Thanks again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.