Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Quarantine confusion

Jadyn

Cavy Slave
So if I'm getting two baby female guinea pigs, should I keep them both quarantined if they are both the same gender, and close to the same age?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
It is recommended to do quarantine when you are getting pigs from a source where they could carry disease. In that case, quarantine should be 3 weeks in length in separate cages, in separate rooms with you changing clothes and carefully washing you hands inbetween interacting with them.

However, if they are coming from a reputable source there shouldn't be a need to quarantine.

Also, many people will skip quarantine with babies. They are so little and usually extremely stressed to be on their own. Sometimes it's better to just take the chance and put them together.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Are they coming from different place? If they are coming from the same place, you don't have to quarantine.

Quarantine is to make sure both are healthy before introducing to each other. This is to reduce the risk of both pigs getting sick if one of them is sick.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.