Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions What now? Tips on quarantine and introductions.

HotShod

Cavy Slave
Hello all. 👋 I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season.

A short while back I posted that a pet store had misgendered my 1M and 1F cavies as 2F’s. Of course, both have since been separated / alone. The male developed an URI and both were immediately seen by the vet. (No baby bumps so far.) It’s been 11 days since my pig completed his antibiotics and has been symptom-free since, the female has had no symptoms.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how they might would proceed from here.

I’d like to get both of them a friend. I don’t know if I should start looking now? That way by the time quarantine is done for everybody, they can all be introduced to their new buddy?

One of my clients has a friendly / lone adult boar. My boar is sort of skittish, but also pushy and opinionated. Vet estimated my boar is about 3-4 months old. Would introducing an adult to a baby be a bad idea? My client has agreed to have them meet before I pick him up if it seems like it may be a viable option.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you're going to get them both a friend, you'll definitely need adequate space so make sure you've provisioned for that.

Optimal time for quarantining a new pig is about three weeks, so bear that in mind. I would definitely start looking as soon as possible because once you've got them, it'll be another three weeks before you can do introductions.

Introducing a baby to an adult shouldn't be a problem. I've done it a couple of times and it's always seemed to go very easily. Problems may or may not arise later when the baby hits puberty, but those are issues you'll run into anyway IF there's a problem at introductions.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.