Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnant?

lala_11

Cavy Slave
I put my 2 piggies in together almost four months ago. my abby sow (9months now)and my 2 1/2 year old boar. Neither of them have been bred before and i'm not sure if my sow is pregnant beccause she has always been quite small and although some days she looks a little fatter than other days she doesn't really show any signs of pregnancy. I'll have to seperate them soon anyway before she gets too old but i was wondering if anyone thought trying a younger or proven boar would be advisible. Thanx.

This is a PROrescue, ANTIBreeding website. There is no reason for you to be breeding at all. There are thousands of homeless guinea pigs all across the country.

Chances are this post will be removed.

Be prepared for negative feed back.

She is already too old to be bred regardless. Are you trying to kill your sow? This is an anti-breeding, pro rescue forum.

Please read https://www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm and https://www.cavyspirit.com/responsiblebreeder.htm and https://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html

Then go to www.petfinder.com to see just some of the homeless guinea pigs already, many on death row at animal shelters.

Where did you get your pigs? What breeds are they? Are you sure you will not end up with lethal whites? Do you know their histories? Do you know if they have heart problems, or carriers of maloclussion? Many believe both are hereditary.

I advise you to remove both and get each a same sex buddy.

sorry. i'm new here

As stated above this is a PRO-rescue, ANit-Breeding forum. With that said it doesnt mean that you cant post questions that are for general piggy care. The people here are very knowledgable and give sound advice. I suggest in your case that you either give up on breeding because its a bad thing to do...or if you still choose to do so dont talk about it here. If you look in The Kitchen you will see many threads about why we dont believe in breeding on this forum.

Lala_11 Please seperate your sow and boar now. Hopefully she is not yet pregnant.

Breeding is not something you should jump into lighty. It greatly endangers the life of your pets especially if you do not know what you are doing.

The world is full of too many pets. Breeding more burdens the already strained rescues and shelters.

Your sow is too old to get pregnant. Their hips fuse and she may not be able to pass the pups and this could kill her and the pups. I highly suggest, if you intend to keep them toegether, to get your boar neutered. I had to do this with mine. I have a sow and a boar. She has had a litter of pups, and after the one litter, I had to get him fixed or seperate them, and that was out of the question. So look into having him neutered. My vet only charged $60, and he healed very quickly.

If you do decide to neuter your boar rather than seperating, you will still need to keep him seperated from her for 3-4 weeks to make sure that all of his sperm have died.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.