Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnant piggie

talla's mommy

Cavy Slave
My girl is pregnant. At first we werent 100% sure but we are now...she just keeps gettin bigger and bigger and I can see the babies moving around. Talla spends most of her day eating/drinking and sleeping. She wont even let me take her out of her cage anymore.

I've read through several things about what to do for her and how to care for the baby piggies. My question though is are there any ways that I could make her more comfortable until she has the babies? She acts miserable and I hate seeing her like that!

I know this is an adoption board and I would have never bred her. She was already pregnant when I bought her and I didnt know.

muffin

Cavy Slave
It is sometimes suggested that you shouldn't lift a pregnant piggy unnecessarily after a certain point in the pregnancy. It is usually recommended to put the water and food at opposite ends of the cage, so your piggy has to move around, which is beneficial in pregnancy and helps prevent the problems that can arise from lack of movement. I have seen it written that if you need to move the piggy in the late stages of pregnancy you can kind of gently shoo her into a strong box with the side cut off, and gently lift it out, keeping her in safely, but it's not recommended unless necessary. In any event if you lift her make sure you fully support her weight. If you haven't looked on guinea lynx, here is the link to their reproduction page with good links. Guinea Lynx :: Reproduction Links

Hope this helps a bit.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
I've read through several things about what to do for her and how to care for the baby piggies. My question though is are there any ways that I could make her more comfortable until she has the babies? She acts miserable and I hate seeing her like that!

I know this is an adoption board and I would have never bred her. She was already pregnant when I bought her and I didnt know.
First of all, where did you read about "what to do for her and how to take care for the baby piggies"? Hopefully not the same places that you read up on guinea pig care before you "bought" your pigs.

To make her more comfortable, give her soft fleece blankets to lay on and plenty of warm, soft fleece things to snuggle in. Change it and wash it (once or twice a day) as it gets soiled.

Make sure she has plenty of fresh water, alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets, and has a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables twice a day (read the information in the Diet and Nutrition forum). Keep offering a quarter of a green pepper a day until she begins to eat it. Eating that will ensure that she gets enough vitamin C.

I don't know what sources you've been using for information, but here are a couple of links to use for the proper care of pregnant guinea pigs:
(broken link removed)
GuineaLynx::Labor
Also, search this site for all threads (and there are many) relating to pregnancy, labor, birth, and the care of the pups. Please use only this website and GuineaLynx for information.

Are your pigs in C&C cages? How many pigs do you have? Are they all together? Are they all female? If you're not sure, check this link: Cavy Spirit::Sexing. Males have to be separated from females BEFORE they give birth...otherwise, the female can get pregnant again immediately.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
Talla's Mommy, I am in the same boat. One of my little girls was pregnant when I got her and I think she is close to delivering. Read the website links Wheek gave you, they are the only thing keeping me sane right now. I can't wait until she has her babies so I can stop being so stressed.

Good luck and let us know how things go. I will do the same.

pignewton

Cavy Slave
First of all, where did you read about "what to do for her and how to take care for the baby piggies"? Hopefully not the same places that you read up on guinea pig care before you "bought" your pigs.

Wow Wheek. I dont feel that your tone here was necessary or productive. Many people on this forum bought their first pig (as you well know). The important thing is that they came here searching for answers as to how to better care for their pigs now that they have them. Hopefully, they will learn that it is better to adopt than purchase.

It is our job to inform and educate new piggy people and treating them rudely is not the way to go about it. I hope that Tallas Mommy will ignore your comment and concentrate on keeping her pregnant pig healthy by returning to this site for education and information. Driving people away will defeat the purpose of the forums.

talla's mommy

Cavy Slave
Talla's Mommy, I am in the same boat. One of my little girls was pregnant when I got her and I think she is close to delivering. Read the website links Wheek gave you, they are the only thing keeping me sane right now. I can't wait until she has her babies so I can stop being so stressed.

Good luck and let us know how things go. I will do the same.

Thanks, I will. Hope everything goes well for you and your piggie! :)

To make her more comfortable, give her soft fleece blankets to lay on and plenty of warm, soft fleece things to snuggle in. Change it and wash it (once or twice a day) as it gets soiled.

Make sure she has plenty of fresh water, alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets, and has a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables twice a day (read the information in the Diet and Nutrition forum). Keep offering a quarter of a green pepper a day until she begins to eat it. Eating that will ensure that she gets enough vitamin C.

I don't know what sources you've been using for information, but here are a couple of links to use for the proper care of pregnant guinea pigs:
(broken link removed)
GuineaLynx::Labor
Also, search this site for all threads (and there are many) relating to pregnancy, labor, birth, and the care of the pups. Please use only this website and GuineaLynx for information.

Are your pigs in C&C cages? How many pigs do you have? Are they all together? Are they all female? If you're not sure, check this link: Cavy Spirit::Sexing. Males have to be separated from females BEFORE they give birth...otherwise, the female can get pregnant again immediately.

First, you dont know where I read up on anything.Just because I didnt read everything on Guinea Lynx first doesnt mean my baby isnt properly taken care of. Why cant I use other sources for information?

Talla gets plenty of vitamin C, fruits, and veggies. She's actually eatin some vitamin c and apple right now. :)

No, we dont have c&c cages. We have three piggies but each are in their own cage..plenty of room for them to run around. We get them out several times a day to play with one another. They all are females and extremely happy.

talla's mommy

Cavy Slave

Wow Wheek. I dont feel that your tone here was necessary or productive. Many people on this forum bought their first pig (as you well know). The important thing is that they came here searching for answers as to how to better care for their pigs now that they have them. Hopefully, they will learn that it is better to adopt than purchase.

It is our job to inform and educate new piggy people and treating them rudely is not the way to go about it. I hope that Tallas Mommy will ignore your comment and concentrate on keeping her pregnant pig healthy by returning to this site for education and information. Driving people away will defeat the purpose of the forums.

Yeah, thats basically how I feel -dont really want to come around here much. Its just like I'm being judged by where I get information, where I got my piggie, and the type of cage I have. I just feel like I'm being told I'm not a good mommy and that nothing I do is best for my girl. I honestly feel like everything I give her is the best. I love her to pieces.

I mean I'm sorry that I havent had piggies for years like some of you or have some gigantic cage but Talla seems really happy. The piggies in Petstores need homes too! Not everyone can adopt -theres not always places around them for things like that.

pignewton

Cavy Slave
Having spoken up regarding Wheeks reply to you Talla I must now play devil's advocate. I understand that you did not know about adopting pigs when you got your current babies. However, you certainly should know better now. You will not find a single person on this site that would support you on purchasing any future pigs that you may acquire and you will not find anyone willing to back you on your decision to keep your pigs in a regular cage. There are always adoptable pigs available if we are willing to keep searching for them and I assure you that if you think your pigs are happy now then you should see how much happier they would be in a properly sized cage. I didnt know anything about guinea pigs when I "bought" my first one. I did educate myself though and I now have 2 pigs (one adopted) in a huge C&C cage. I cannot believe the difference it makes!

That being said, please continue to read all the info on the site and ask questions if you need to. There is a wealth of information here!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
First, you dont know where I read up on anything.Just because I didnt read everything on Guinea Lynx first doesnt mean my baby isnt properly taken care of. Why cant I use other sources for information?

Talla gets plenty of vitamin C, fruits, and veggies. She's actually eatin some vitamin c and apple right now. :)

No, we dont have c&c cages. We have three piggies but each are in their own cage..plenty of room for them to run around. We get them out several times a day to play with one another. They all are females and extremely happy.
You can get your information wherever you want, as long as the information is correct. Most of what is out there is written by or for breeders and is frequently incorrect. That is why most everyone on this forum and on Guinea Lynx will refer back and forth to each other because we KNOW that the information is anti-breeding and in the best interest of the cavies. If you have found good information elsewhere, that is wonderful! Please send me a private message with a link to it. I would love to see what you have found. I don't doubt that it is out there.

Why are each of your pigs in seperate cages? Have they been fighting? Are any of them ill? If you have room for 3 seperate cages, it seems that there should be a way to house your girls together in one larger cage. If you think they are happy now, wait until you see what they would do if they could interact 24/7.

clotho

Cavy Slave
Pregnant females tend to get grumpy and hormonal during their pregnancy - you would too if you were carrying around that much baby LOL!!! You have been given some really great advice here so far and I'm sure you can continue to learn more if you are willing.

Lots of veggies high in vitamin C and calcium are great for pregnant moma and the babies once they are born. You should be giving all your piggies unlimited timothy or another grass hay, but you can also add alfalfa to the pregnant mom's diet.

What do you mean by she seems miserable? Just grumpy and out of sorts? Is she still active? Does she eat a lot? She's not just lying around depressed and lethargic is she? Pregnant sows can develop pregnancy toxemia so you have to watch out for that. Make sure she doesn't smell like nail polish remover. Try to encourage her to move around her cage.

Please continue to learn more and keep an open mind. I learn something new here every day!! Ask any questions you have and we will try to help. I know how nerve wracking it is to have a pregnant sow and be worried about her. I hope everything will go just fine with the birth.

Just a couple other things - get yourself a good digital scale and start weighing her if you aren't already. Actually all your piggies should be weighed at least once a week. Weight loss is usually your first indication of a problem. Also, if you don't already have one, find a good vet and know where to go after hours if you have a problem with the birth. It's good peace of mind to know you know what to do in an emergency.

Guinea pig babies are born fully furred and ready to run. They will eat solid foods right from birth but will also nurse from mom. You will need to learn to sex the babies and have the males separated from any females by the time they are 21 days old so you don't get any more babies.

talla's mommy

Cavy Slave
Pregnant females tend to get grumpy and hormonal during their pregnancy - you would too if you were carrying around that much baby LOL!!! You have been given some really great advice here so far and I'm sure you can continue to learn more if you are willing.

Lots of veggies high in vitamin C and calcium are great for pregnant moma and the babies once they are born. You should be giving all your piggies unlimited timothy or another grass hay, but you can also add alfalfa to the pregnant mom's diet.

What do you mean by she seems miserable? Just grumpy and out of sorts? Is she still active? Does she eat a lot? She's not just lying around depressed and lethargic is she? Pregnant sows can develop pregnancy toxemia so you have to watch out for that. Make sure she doesn't smell like nail polish remover. Try to encourage her to move around her cage.

Please continue to learn more and keep an open mind. I learn something new here every day!! Ask any questions you have and we will try to help. I know how nerve wracking it is to have a pregnant sow and be worried about her. I hope everything will go just fine with the birth.

Just a couple other things - get yourself a good digital scale and start weighing her if you aren't already. Actually all your piggies should be weighed at least once a week. Weight loss is usually your first indication of a problem. Also, if you don't already have one, find a good vet and know where to go after hours if you have a problem with the birth. It's good peace of mind to know you know what to do in an emergency.

Guinea pig babies are born fully furred and ready to run. They will eat solid foods right from birth but will also nurse from mom. You will need to learn to sex the babies and have the males separated from any females by the time they are 21 days old so you don't get any more babies.

Thanks. She's been eatin her vitamin c just as fast as I put it in there. Her hay too. Yeah, she's just kind of grumpy and doesnt want to be fooled with much. I can understand that though. She loves being brushed and thats about the only thing she'll let me do. She lays around a bit more than she did before but she's still pretty active. I just think she gets tired..her belly drags the bottom of her cage and it couldnt be easy carryin several babies. This morning she started running around her cage and popcorning all over the place..would have been nice if she would have waited until a bit later in the morning though. lol Someone suggested putting her food and water on opposite sides so I did that. The toxemia I've read about and have been keeping a close eye on her. I make sure she has plenty of veggies and fruits.

I've been weighing her every couple of days. In 2-3 days she gained almost 2 ounces. She's actually got a vet appointment on Tuesday for her ears (poor things just wont clear up!) so I'm gonna have them check her and stuff just to make sure everything is going ok. I'm also going to see when I should expect the babies.

I was surprised when I read that they are fully fur and everything. Thats awesome. My dad knows how to check for males/females so that'll be his job through all of this.

I'm just really anxious to see what they'll look like since I dont know what the father looked like. They'll be beauties though.
Thanks for all your help.

Why are each of your pigs in seperate cages? Have they been fighting? Are any of them ill? If you have room for 3 seperate cages, it seems that there should be a way to house your girls together in one larger cage. If you think they are happy now, wait until you see what they would do if they could interact 24/7.

First we had two in one cage and another in a different one and was going to get a friend for her(we just were able to find a 4th female at the time). But the two started fighting and just wouldnt leave the other alone. It was sad to watch. We actually just bought a huge playpen to put them in to interact. OUtside of their cages they all get along but inside they dont.

clotho

Cavy Slave
Piggies will get along better when they have more space. Depending on how big the cage is that you originally had the two piggies in - this could be the cause of their fighting. Also, when you introduce piggies to each other you need to do it in a place where no one has their scent - otherwise they get territorial. The same goes for their cage - it needs to be cleaned completely so no one can get territorial over the cage - before putting the newly introduced piggies in together. However, if you have a pet store cage, two piggies wouldn't be happy in there together.

It's a lot of fun to build C&C cages - we just expanded one of ours. They are very easy to make and compared to pet store cage costs, they are very reasonable cost-wise. If you do consider making one, there are lots of great pictures to give you ideas.

It sounds like she is acting normally for a pregnant piggie. It also sounds like she is close to her time if she's huge and her belly is dragging. Any idea how many she has in there? Can you tell?

Guinea Lynx :: Sexing Pups is a great site for your dad to look at to help him sex the pups. Make sure he checks and rechecks until he's positive and make sure any boys go into their own cage by the time they are 21 days old.

talla's mommy

Cavy Slave
Piggies will get along better when they have more space. Depending on how big the cage is that you originally had the two piggies in - this could be the cause of their fighting. Also, when you introduce piggies to each other you need to do it in a place where no one has their scent - otherwise they get territorial. The same goes for their cage - it needs to be cleaned completely so no one can get territorial over the cage - before putting the newly introduced piggies in together. However, if you have a pet store cage, two piggies wouldn't be happy in there together.

It's a lot of fun to build C&C cages - we just expanded one of ours. They are very easy to make and compared to pet store cage costs, they are very reasonable cost-wise. If you do consider making one, there are lots of great pictures to give you ideas.

It sounds like she is acting normally for a pregnant piggie. It also sounds like she is close to her time if she's huge and her belly is dragging. Any idea how many she has in there? Can you tell?

Guinea Lynx :: Sexing Pups is a great site for your dad to look at to help him sex the pups. Make sure he checks and rechecks until he's positive and make sure any boys go into their own cage by the time they are 21 days old.

Thats what my sister was telling me. They were together before we bought them and were fine until we brought them home. I really dont know how many she is having. She's got a vet appointment tomorrow so I'll ask them. Although I can feel several lumps.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave

I sincerely apologize to you, Tallas Mommy. pignewton was right...after I re-read my post, it did sound rude - even though I didn't intend it that way, at all.

Because of of what you said in your intro:
Hello! I'm Ashley.

I recently got a piggie (December 26th). This is the first time I've had one. Before buying we read through some books and websites to make sure we could properly care for her.
I was actually making a commentary on the source, or sources, of information that you received before getting your pigs. Due to the fact that you bought your pigs and didn't know about proper housing, I could tell that you had used the same type of (bad) source(s) that we had used when we were new piggy slaves. I'm sorry that it came across as sounding like an insult to you. I honestly, truly didn't mean it that way ((hug)).

I'm so glad that you finally did find a GOOD source of information. Kudos to you for being here and trying to do what's best for your piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.