Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

"popcorn" questions

woltra

Cavy Slave
I found your site a day after we came home with two baby guinea pigs, since then I have been learning as much as I can. I have a question about "popcorning" as I have never heard of that term before coming here.

Our little rascals (named Spanky & Alfalfa, ages 9 & 11 weeks old) usually go completely crazy during floor time and I am wondering if this activity is the "popcorning" you are talking about. I cant help but laugh when they do it, but at the same time I worry that if this is NOT popcorning then what is it.

First of all, at times they look like they are trying to be bucking broncos. They rear up kicking their front legs, then buck kicking their backlegs in rapid repeats, almost as fast as they run, but this is a different movement from their normal run. They really look like they belong in a rodeo with a tiny cowboys on their backs. They also do run, full speed, and if they get going opposite directions from each other they have at times had a head on collusion with each other resulting in sneezing (cuase I think they hit their noses pretty hard).

Other times they just jump while running, and then other times they are at a complete standstill and it looks as if something startled them by touching their butts (but nothing did) and so they jump with a full twist as if they are instantly trying to catch whatever it was they thought was there.

I don't think its because they are scared of us, because they are getting used to climbing up on our laps to get their favorite snack (parsley), and they also run laps around us, under our legs, behind our backs. It seems that they run out into the open, then race back to us to hide behind us. It is true that most of the time when we try to pet them they run off out of reach (unless we have the food, then they have to stay, lol).

So, I'm just wondering if this is normal popcorn behavior. If it is I can stop worrying and just enjoy it without feeling a little guilty because I'm laughing. I wouldnt want to laugh if they were feeling distress. We love them and want them to be happy.

Also, how is the rumbling different from purring? When they are facing off doing the head raising thing I hear them rumbling/purring at each other. Then at times when they are in their cage (a 2x4 grid size) I try to pet them, they do this same rumble for me. I stop petting them because I dont want to make them mad. But then in this other book it said that when you pet them they will "purr" when you pet them in just the right spot. We've only had our babies for a week now, so I'm not really completely sure how to make them happy.

popcorning

Welcome to the world of Cavy Woltra :)

What you described sounds exactly like popcorning to me :) It sounds like you have two very happy piggies!

About the rumbling/purring... there are so many different noises that piggies make... the rumblestrut is my fav, when they strut while making a rummbling noise & wiggle their backside... this is either marking their teritory, asserting dominance, or showing their interest in a pig of the other sex (most often heard from males). You will get to know your piggies in time & learn what their sounds mean.

Congradulations on your new family

Shell :)

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
purring

Don't worry unless your boys are chattering their teeth (they're annoyed or squaring up for a fight) or actually fighting. They may have to establish who's the boss of the herd. Hopefully they'll work it out.
One of my boys used to purr and "flirt" with the other, the way a male postures for a female, and then would popcorn with joy, so they may just be having a good time together. Purring is definitely a sign of contentment - keep petting them!

purring : male Gp's purr to show their dominance and that they have control in this area

popcorning : Popcorning is a sort of "playing" for the Gp's . Its like a cat that rolls ( i dont knwo the exact word)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.