Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Poor Darwin!!...pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

PR_Piggy

Cavy Slave
The cost of supplies it took to make a c&c cage were less than the cheapest and smallest store cage I've seen (you could have already purchased supplies with the funds that were spent on the store cages. I am not sure of your age but if you are able to earn money you can support the piggies with this money and it might show your mother to comprimise when she sees how you are taking care of the situation and deserve her approval. Or maybe sell items online, give up spending money and birthday money for the c&c funding.

On the space issue. I would think about rearranging the furniture. Sometimes a room can have more or less space depending on how the furniture is arranged and the location in the room. Its a lot of work, but piggies are so worth it!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Kananaka, read the "how to make" article on the main page of this site. It's got instructions for building a cage, and you can figure out what you need.

kananaka

Cavy Slave

bpatters, I am talking about the wooden cages (link 2 and 3 here). I do not think they are listed. I checked out the C & C specs here. Looks really easy but the wooden ones are super nice and would fit better in the space we will be using :) . Either way our piggies will get a proper size cage in the next month to month 1/2. We decided to donate the cage we purchased, which is an upgrade from what they have but not nearly big enough for 2, to my daughters class piggy once ours have a proper size cage. That way all the gp in our lives will have proper size cages :) .

Last edited:

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
NM the page didn't load right.

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
yeah you are all sounding very harsh but i understand that. i got the extra pigs because i didnt want them to go to a bad home. i have spoke to my mum and she has told me to do what i want as long as i pay for it. i get £300 in march i cant get money any sooner so the pigs will just have to wait. i think i am going to find someone to make be something like picture 2.

i would like everyone to see that i do take care of my pigs the best way i can in my current situation. i have fights with my dad when he is home because he thinks i feed them too much veg he thinks just once but i keep telling him twice i hope you all understand i fall out with my family over this stuff money is an issue right now as things have gone on in my family. so dont call me a bad owner or dont say i dont look after them when you dont no the full story. i try the best i can

Just to make is clear they are all getting bigger cages at the end of march.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
And is it better for them to be with you in cages that are so small that they can't run around unless you take the pigloo out, and where they fight with each other?

Your taking them to keep them from going to "a bad home" and then putting them in a "bad cage" doesn't sound like such a good deal to me.

It's one thing to feel sorry for pigs. It's another entirely to take on more pigs than you can responsibly care for, and then say that "the pigs will just have to wait."

It's time for you to take a more mature view of animal ownership, and to reduce your herd to the point that you can care for it without conflict with your family. It sounds like they are the ones paying for your pigs, which makes it doubly irresponsible to take on more than you can handle.

It's one thing to keep pigs in substandard conditions because you don't know any better. But you knew better when you got your last several pigs. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but this was your decision all the way along the line. Now your pig is being injured because of your decisions. I think it's past time for you to make some changes in the number of pigs you have, and in the way they're housed.

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
no i pay for my pigs. i have made that clear my father thinks i just waste the money on veg when i dont.
WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT ME TO DO!!! I AM GETTING THEM NEW CAGES!!!!!! YOU ARE ALL SAYING I AM A BAD OWNER! I THINK YOU WILL FIND THAT IF THE DIDNT COME TO ME THEY WOULD NEVER GET A BETTER CAGE AS MOST PEOPLE HERE DONT EVEN NO ABOUT THEM!

you thionk you no everythin about my situation but you dont. you have told me to get new cages i am.

thanks for the information. you will be seeing pictures of the new cages soon.

Cavalicious

Cavy Slave
Please calm down for the sake of your pigs. No one has said that you are a bad owner. Yes, the cage is bad and making excuses is irresponsible, but you posted a picture of your Darwin and need to understand how that would make people upset, esp. since you regarded it as "silly" behavior instead of reacting more gravely about it. This is why people are worried.

I'm sorry, but I don't care how much your mother thinks C&C cages are "ugly," you need to have at least a temporary larger space for your pigs to live in until March so that they don't end up hurting each other senseless while the family is asleep or they are unattended.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
no i pay for my pigs. i have made that clear my father thinks i just waste the money on veg when i dont.
WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT ME TO DO!!! I AM GETTING THEM NEW CAGES!!!!!! YOU ARE ALL SAYING I AM A BAD OWNER! I THINK YOU WILL FIND THAT IF THE DIDNT COME TO ME THEY WOULD NEVER GET A BETTER CAGE AS MOST PEOPLE HERE DONT EVEN NO ABOUT THEM!

you thionk you no everythin about my situation but you dont. you have told me to get new cages i am.

thanks for the information. you will be seeing pictures of the new cages soon.

Dude, seriously, don't freak out.

We can't stress enough how Guinea Pigs need bigger cages. You just took advice the wrong way.

But, Beeps is being 100% fair and true-- You knew better before you got your last piggies that they needed a bigger cage.

I know this is the last thing you need, but you need to make sure your parents are willing to cooperate with you before you get Guinea Pigs at all. Trust me, I asked my parents every day to reassure them that they were fine with me getting piggies.

I pay for my Guinea Pigs as well. There isn't any excuse not to get a bigger cage. I bet if you sold your other cages, you could make enough money to house at least 3 of your piggies in a C&C cage.

Just don't take information to sensitively when we are helping you. You HAVE been here long enough to know to get a C&C cage.

Try and calm down, and take a look at Darwin:

If these injuries are so easy to prevent, why aren't you taking necessary action? Show your parents. Any parent NOT willing to cooperate when a small animal's life is in danger aren't responsible because they let you have pigs NOT willing to be so.

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
i have spoke to my mum she is calling her friend tomorrow to start planning there new cage. as he is going to build it. i have to pay for it which is fine with me.

Eimear

Cavy Slave
maybe people should give the kid a break now, avengedsoph has all the info she needs now, theres nothing left to be said.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
i have spoke to my mum she is calling her friend tomorrow to start planning there new cage. as he is going to build it. i have to pay for it which is fine with me.

Good!

Good luck! Sorry if we were harsh. Realizations can be hard to accept, sometimes.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
I just want to clarify some advice given on page one: Be very careful when choosing an antibiotic ointment to put on a guinea pig, especially when it is somewhere the pig could lick it. Common antibiotic ointments (Neosporin, for instance) have medications (bacitracin with Neosporin) that can kill a cavy. Make sure to cross reference any medications used with the following link: https://www.guinealynx.info/dangerous_medications.html

kananaka

Cavy Slave
I am happy for you because I know you will be happier when they are happier. Can't wait for you to proudly show off the new cages!

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
i have been stressing out over it enough i cant sleep at all but it will soon be sorted.

Eimear

Cavy Slave
dont stress, we all make mistakes and you're doing your best to fix it which is more than a lot of people would do, your pigs are lucky to have you

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
thank you....darwin is doing fine now

lissie

Cavy Slave
I just started reading this thread, I'm not even going to mention the cage space. I just have these questions, what happens to the pigs when they need vet care? Since money is tight, and your parents are not on the same page as you are. Who will pay for vet fees?

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
i pay they get vet check every 3 months or so it only costs me £30 for check ups they have one next week i get paid ema twice so i have enough.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
I just started reading this thread, I'm not even going to mention the cage space. I just have these questions, what happens to the pigs when they need vet care? Since money is tight, and your parents are not on the same page as you are. Who will pay for vet fees?

+1 this! If you have an emergency, treatment isn't optional. What do you plan on doing if one of them develops bladder stones? If I were you, I would consider re-homing two or three to excellent homes, and keeping the remainder. That way they will all be receiving proper care and it will be less stress on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.