Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Poor Darwin!!...pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
sooo chunk and Darwin are in the same cage and they are both just silly! They try to hump each other then they fight! None of them have bled up until today....I got darwin out of his cage and he has a few cuts on his face....what should i do? keep them together? they are normally good if i keep there big igloo in their cage but then they dont have much space to run around so i normally take it out in the day.

so should i leave them? or separate them?

They are in the same room as 5 other males and one female....should i move them?

any ideas are welcome!

IMG-20120220-00231.jpg

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
are they om a proper sized c&c cage?

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
they are in a large pet store cages i dont have room for 5 c&c cages...

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
There are some pretty creative stacking that can be found in the photo section to get some bigger cages for the piggies. That is probably your biggest problem: cage size. How old are they?

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
my mum hates the look of them....they are 1 in....5 days

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Check out the pictures I posted, a few are shelf conversions, look tons better than C&C's.

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
thanks ....i really like the 2nd one....she might go for that one :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Large pet store cages are NOT large enough for two pigs, and you've been here plenty long enough to know that. If you're not going to provide them with the proper amount of space, then yes, separate them. Anything else is cruel.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Sorry, Soph, but I have to agree with Beeps on this. You have been here longer than I, and I had a C&C Cage built before I had my piggies. You can't call them silly because they fought-- 1: It is natural.... and 2: They aren't in a big enough of a cage to get away from each other.

Sorry, but that's how it goes.

;)

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
to be fair i didnt know about c&c cage before i got them. my mum hates them and thinks they look ugly trust me i want to take care of my pigs the best way i can but my mother is picky! i am looking into other types of cages for them. i just want to point out i do not treat my pigs cruel they get the best care i can give them i am working on the cages. I also do not have much money at the minutes so that is another issue

but back to darwin will his face heal on its own? do i do anythin or just leave it?

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
My baby piggy had his ear split almost entirely in half by his brother before we picked him up. I applied topical antibiotics (just general first aid ointment) once a day for a week. This past week, his ear healed on it's own and the scab fell off today.
His cuts are not deep at all so they will heal fine. His nose may be a bit sore but that is to be expected. If you do not make it your number one priority to expand their living space as soon as you financially can, then it's cruelty. You've been informed. I'm sorry your mother may have a problem with it, but perhaps you could explain to her why it's essential that piggies have room to run and be on their own.
Imagine if you had to live in a little room with one of your siblings (if you have one). Eventually, you'd end up fighting because you would just get fed up with each other. Many children think it's unfair to have to share a bedroom with their sibling — Consider it to be the same with cavies. The cage section of this website has many arguments for C&C cages and against pet store cages. You can make your C&C look nice by using coordinating fleece for liners and bedding and coordinated toys. The galleries have many examples of ways to make your piggy's cage look attractive.
I know you are not intentionally doing anything to bring stress to your piggies, but that's exactly what you are doing by keeping them in a pet store cage.

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
i am working on it.

ally112087

Cavy Slave
to be fair i didnt know about c&c cage before i got them. my mum hates them and thinks they look ugly trust me i want to take care of my pigs the best way i can but my mother is picky! i am looking into other types of cages for them. i just want to point out i do not treat my pigs cruel they get the best care i can give them i am working on the cages. I also do not have much money at the minutes so that is another issue
but back to darwin will his face heal on its own? do i do anythin or just leave it?

From what you have told me you give your piggies floor time which helps. I know that you are working on trying to come up with different cage type. If you need help with ideas or help thinking of things to try let me know and I will do my best

Last edited:

kananaka

Cavy Slave

Pics 2 and 3 are just jaw dropping! Serious works of art imo.

@ avengedsophggies. I understand about cage size. I am kind of in the same boat with our 2 females but have ordered a bigger cage for them (found out about C & C cages after ordering the new one thats on its way) but it is 1/2 the size recommended for 2 piggies. The one I ordered is one that can be attached to and I had planned on doing that anyways in a few months but am now thinking I would love to build one like is in pic 1 or 2. This is the one I ordred Amazon.com: Midwest Expandable Guinea Habitat: Pet Supplies and this is what they are in when we adopted them last week (broken link removed) . Regardless of what cage we end up with a proper size home is obviously really really important! Hope you can show the evidence to your Mom and that she helps you make your piggies safer, healthier, and happier. Best of luck to you and your loves!

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
It's not really about your mom, it's about the pig's health. If she cannot understand the importance of having them in properly sized cages, perhaps you might have to give them to someone who does.

Until you figure out what you are going to do though, definitely seperate the boys. Yes, his face should heal on its own just fine. Be sure to keep it clean though, warm wet rag can get any loose debris from it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
avengedsoph, your earliest posts indicated that you knew your cages were much smaller than are recommended. Yet you have added several pigs to your herd just in the last few months. You had to put those cages somewhere. Had you chosen to enlarge the cage for the pigs you started out with (I believe it was three) instead of adding multiple new pigs and cages, they'd have plenty of room to get along without fighting.

This isn't on your mother. This is on you. You wanted the extra pigs, you got the extra pigs, and you're not adequately providing for them. It's very irresponsible to keep adding animals when you can't provide the necessities for them.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Pics 2 and 3 are just jaw dropping! Serious works of art imo.

I know!! I can't wait until we have a house so I can build something like this! I am really not a fan of the C&C look. Love the cages for ease of use, space for piggies and cheap cost but the look is not for me.

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Does anyone have the specs and material used for those cages? I would love to get them to research cost of cage 1 or 2.

Emissa

Cavy Slave
I hope it works out for you, but it sounds harsh what everyone says, but you should really worry about the pigs health. If your mother does not like the C&C cage or you cannot work something out, then it is safer to post out for adoption and get them into a home that can help them have better living. It's not fair to you to see the piggies get hurt and you cannot compromise with your mother, but it is also not fair for your piggies to suffer being stuffed together.

Status
Not open for further replies.