Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Please Help - Piggie Breathing Problems & More

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
And now the teeth... I am still amazed at how fast their teeth can grow. My piggie had his molars shaved down, but in less than two weeks later while on Crital Care, they had overgrown again. So definitely have the vet keep an eye on the teeth.

Another poster had questioned if Broccoli might be in pain. That is something to consider. Grinding the back molars can be a typical sign. When you say he seems to chew and chew, I am wondering if he has already eaten when you have given, but is continuing to grind his molars out of discomfort.

The weight is also critically low. I was looking over the postings again - is his normal weight 1225 (your recent post above) or 1120 (your initial post)? At 775 he has lost so very much, and may have other organ issues going on. For my 1225g piggie, 1000 was critically low, and my vet warned of other health issues that can arise if the weight goes lower.

I would be back at the vet to address the weight and motility. If the respiratory infection is gone, either it's just time to get him back to eating and feeling good, or there may be some other issue that made him susceptible to the infection in the first place. Honestly, anything would just be broad speculation on my part, but he's at least four years old, I think, and at this age there are other things that can just start coming up. I wish you both better luck, and will keep you in my thoughts. I know first hand how hard it can be, but just stay positive!

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the posts, but Broccoli didn't make it yesterday. He was doing okay on the Critical Care, but had even lost interest in that. We had booked Monday for the vet, but maybe he had just lost too much weight, and like you say probably had inner organ issues. I tried my best - spent over £100 on 4 vet visits but still feel guilty. I miss him so much and couldn't stop crying :'(
Oh and @cavy_jdas thank you for the posts - and I must have made a mistake about his weight in the first post as I meant 1225g.

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
:( Sorry for your loss. I lost my ferret recently due to complications from surgery. No matter how much I spent or tried to do the right thing, the feeling of guilt is always there. Could I have done more. Could I have done something different etc. We can only try our best. At least he is not suffering anymore.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.