Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Please help me finding a good cage!

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave
Hey everybody! I have 2 male guinea pigs, so they need a lot of space. My cage is too small for them so i'm looking to find a new one. The problem is that i have a very very small space which on length can be around 30 cm and width can be more then 60.cm.
One more thing is that i have a dog who doesn't get along with the piggies so i need a closed cage and also, i need something that can ship to where i live:) kind of a lot i know:D does anyone have suggestions?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Will you be able to find materials to build your own cage? Closet shelves are very strong and you can make a lid from them. 30cm is too narrow though. Ideally, the cage should be at least 60cm by 150cm for 2 boars.

Edit to add: here's an example of a cage built from closet shelving. You can make it one level if you'd like.

(broken link removed)

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave
I probebly won't be able to find.. I thought about building it before but i can't.. A quick qestion- if i'll have 2 floors, does it make the fact that it's too small better?

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
What is your space? Often people have more space and they think, or else can move something just slightly out-of-the-way to make a lot more space. A 30 x 60 cm cage will not be enough for two boars, but that doesn't mean you can't have a big cage in that place

also having a second-floor usually doesn't help very much, since the idea is that they should both be able to do laps around the cage or else if there's aggression they should be able to run away from each other without being cornered

lissie

Cavy Slave
No, only main level counts. Guinea pigs need space to run laps, and boars need space to get away from each other. The wider the cage, the better. You didn't mention your location. If you're in UK, there are some good size store bought cages.

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave
Oh okay thanks! And i live in israel- and guinea pigs aren't very popular here so it's really hard to find

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave
A fix to what i wrote-

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave
Im sorry i meant 30X160 cage haha i forgot to write the 1

lissie

Cavy Slave
30cm is still too narrow. Can you rearrange your furniture to find more space?

lissie

Cavy Slave
See this gallery. (broken link removed)

You can find other materials to build a cage. What kind of dog do you have? Can you put the cage up higher so your dog won't be able to reach?

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave
I have a flat coated retriver that REALLY likes to hunt. And i don't...

Greysanatomy

Cavy Slave
Okay, sorry for doing it again, but i re-checked and if i change things i do have 160X60! I will change the entire room for it but it's okay cause i want the best for my piggies!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.