Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Plastic tubing

ARustyWinter

Cavy Slave
I've noticed a few people have used white pvc drainage pipe for tunnels, and I am wondering what they used for the inside so the pigs can get traction to go up it. Down isn't my biggest worry as I think mine would rather enjoy that. lol

snickers

Cavy Slave
You can try using fleece inside, or a textured rubber mat. Most pigs prefer the fleece though.

ARustyWinter

Cavy Slave
I was thinking of a textured rubber mat of some kind, figured it would provide good traction and be easy to clean out. What would I use to hold it in place? I wouldn't think any kind of glue would be good as it could be toxic....velcro?

Tdchewy

Cavy Slave
I believe that I read that they line the tube with fine grit sandpaper and glue it into place

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
You mean in the cage or as a ramp?

If its for a ramp you can use a rubber mat or I think a member on here used 120 grit sandpaper.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Whatever you put in the pipe, don't glue it down permanently. You'll need to be able to take it out and clean it. I have a fleece-sewed-on-top-of-mattress-pad runner through mine, and it's probably the nastiest thing in the cage when I do a cage cleaning. They both sit in the ends of the tunnel and sleep, so there are piles of poop and pee and the bottom end, and poop and pee running down from the top end.

Other than that, the runner works really well. I tape it down at either end with double sided tape so the pigs can't eat the tape, and it comes right off for cleaning.

paperdragon

Cavy Slave

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
Whats the internal diameter for the pipe?

That will fit say a 3lbs boarly piggy.

ryounce

Cavy Slave
I use 400 grit sandpaper on the ramps. It helps to keep their nails filed down. I check each of the pigs feet to make sure they were not harming themselves for the first couple of weeks. They love it and fly up down at will...

ARustyWinter

Cavy Slave
I'm starting to like the sandpaper idea very much.

lunabkat

Cavy Slave
Hi, I've built my cage but am having a heck of a time with a ramp. I have a pvc pipe that needs something inside it for them to grip, I'm hearing fleece is preferred by piggies? I'm wondering what kind of incline they can do...I didn't want it to be too severe but I only have a four grid long cage.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Hi, I've built my cage but am having a heck of a time with a ramp. I have a pvc pipe that needs something inside it for them to grip, I'm hearing fleece is preferred by piggies? I'm wondering what kind of incline they can do...I didn't want it to be too severe but I only have a four grid long cage.
The best thing to do with pvc pipe for a ramp is to cut it in half lengthwise and drill or punch a couple of holes in one end (to attach it to a grid, pipe cleaners work good for attaching it) then take a length of fleece and some binder clips and clip the fleece to the pvc pipe. Works great, I used to use one myself. For a 2x4 cage, you need about a 30-36" long piece of pvc piping for the right incline.

Please see my old cage pictures in my gallery of my ramp.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.