Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Plastic storage bin?

Ly&Pigs said:
Who would want to do all that when coroplast is a much easier alternative and not as hard to find as most people believe.

I agree, it just doesn't make sense. Why try to find an alternative that is just going to be more work in the long run than driving for 30-45 mintutes? Go for the cloroplast, trust us, it is so much easier. Everyone has given a ton of suggestions on how to find it, but I wanted to add one more. When I was first looking around the name "cloroplast" got me no where. When I said "corrogated plastic", or "something that looks like cardboard, but is made out of plastic" they knew instantly what I was looking for. Just another hint.

I have cardboard around me all the time.. it's the only reason I used it as an example. I didn't think to suggest wood, cause I don't have a wood base. Would feel a bit silly suggesting something I don't use.

As for the plastic bins, I was just saying what she'd have to go through to use them... I wasn't really advocating using them which is why I said after, "It'd be easier to get coroplast."

Sorry for any misunderstandings.

When I was first looking around the name "cloroplast" got me no where.
It's not called "cloroplast", it's coroplast without an L in the beginning of it.

It is as simple as taking a walk through the yellow pages of the phone book. sign/sign making companies/etc. It is there. Even if you live in a small town there is a city somewhere near by. Small towns make signs also. My daughter lives in Statesboro, Ga which is 60 miles from me here in Savannah. What she can't get there, she gets here.

Idril said:
Thank you :) Anywhere near 94598.

Hi! I'm in 94510. I think the sign store (Agh. Forgot the name) which is in the Michael's Mall in Vallejo (Plaza drive?) would be able to get you a sheet of coroplast. In any case, if your parents are unwilling to drive to Bezerkley, I might be able to pick you up a sheet next time I'm headed in that direction. You and your parents could pick it up at my house.

Or you could try the linoleum option....Suisan

ilovemykisses said:
A few places have plastic bins that would suit half of a 2x4 cage, but you'd have to get two, cut one end off each one and meld them together.

Ive tired that, it doesn't work the plastic breaks and doesn't make a straight cut, the bottum pretty much smashes.

Idril said:
I am going to build my two guinea pigs a cage. However, the whole coroplast thing seems so complicated and I have a feeling I'll have to travel to a store 45 minutes away just to buy this stuff. So I thought, as an alternative, I could use a shallow but large transparent plastic storage bin and put the wire cage inside of the bin?

Such as this one: (but of course with no lid and a much bigger one)

I was wondering if it's safe or if it would grow fungus or something funky like that.

I know I am getting to this a little late, but I built my piggy's a cage out of these I had left over from my son:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/...bbs_b_2_1/104-0968728-2909553?v=glance&s=baby

It was only meant to be a temporary measure, but so far it is working out great and I LOVE it. I keep it in the alcove off of pc area, so I can keep a constant eye on my piggy's. We interact with them every day, and I check out the cage everytime we clean it (every couple of days) for signs of chewing, but so far they have not shown an intrest in that. So far it looks like this:

I basically broke down the nursery cart, and then made my frame out of it. At first I used 2x3 grids, but I thought it was two small. The space I am using over there will not allow for anymore length or it will cut off the entrance to the downstairs bath, so I took it outward, making it a square. Because it is on tile all I have to do is add fleece for the floor, or sometimes I use the hospital cloth chucks pads. What you see here though is the sheet to an old Graco Totyard I gave away. I love the colors, and may search eBay for another. I zip tied everything together, and I just added the "gazebo" portion last night so I could hang their kabob and basket from it. I really like it and think I might take it all the way across so I can add a ferret hammock to it later. Originally, I thought I would add a second level, but I think I like the openess of it better. Eventually, I may go ahead and make my C&C Cage out of the metal grids, but for now this will do, and I am happy with the way it came out. I actually found a picture of one someone made as part of their home decor with sunflowers and I think I want to try and repeat that but with ivy. I am still strategizing that one, though!! lol

And on a side note, I just got the bin for their hay. I like how it seems to give them more floor space, but it seems less accessible, so I may go back to just it in an old kitty bed. I thought I would throw that in, to give you some more ideas.

Thanks,
Lisa

Lisa,
If the floor tile is cold then put something to insulate it for them. Newspaper then towels I would suggest. Please post pics of the cage from other angles for us.

So a blanket, like fleece isn't enough?? I would think the chucks pads would be though. They are quite a bit thicker with different layers in them, because they are meant to be absorbent with a water proof back. I will have to take more pictures and get them loaded... give me a few, ok?

Thanks,
Lisa

I can't say. It is a judgement call on your part. I really just wanted you aware of the cold floor.

I am just going to give the links to my photobucket pictures. I tried uploading all 7 of the different pictures into a new thread and it said I had too many. Then when I went to try and delete on it acted as a back browser and I lost my whole darn post!!!!

Another front post:
(broken link removed)

A close-up of the front:
(broken link removed)

The lower left hand corner:
(broken link removed)

A close-up of the lower left hand corner:
(broken link removed)

The left side:
(broken link removed)

The upper-left hand corner:
(broken link removed)

A close-up of the "Gazebo":
(broken link removed)

I hope I was able to get all the angles you wanted. Any suggestions or idea are appreciated :)

Thanks,
Lisa

Lisa,
The other day I had the same problem. I think you can upload 2 pics at a time and have no problem. Thanks for the pics. The cubes are cute. Good use for the old cubby bin! Just make sure the floor is not too cold and there are not a lot of drafts either. Cloth chux you say? Hmm didn't know they made them still. I will have to see about getting my hands on some if I read your post correctly. If they are regular chux I found that Wal-Mart puppy pads were tons cheaper. I was going to switch to chux because of the size but when I priced them whewee too much. Tell me more about the chux please.
Judy

Well I am not sure how much they cost because my ex husband does transportation to area hospitals and senior homes. He used to get them when we were married while we were potty training our daughter. I still have those, and I just asked him to pick me up a couple more too!!! I'd do a google and see what you can come up with or even eBay :)

Best of Luck,
Lisa

So they are cloth then? That is what stumped me? Everything is throw away now.

Yes, they are. They are a quilted fabric on the top, then there are inner layers, like a quilt, and the bottom is a thick waterproof plastic. They use these for patients who can not control their bladders. I LOVE them, I want to have a couple of sets, so I can throw one in the wash and still have at least one other set.

After the craziness of Christmas has calmed down, I am going to find some reusable chux. Funny I have been thinking about getting some crib size mattress pads. Hmm maybe? They are right at Wally World too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.