Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pigs need food don't they? But what brand?

lovepigs
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

CRAZY4guineapig

Cavy Slave
Yes, I am wondering the same thing! I was using Timothy Complete food too- is it really that bad?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
For clarification purposes, I am an administrator/moderator but I do not own this site. CavySpirit owns this site. I have just been one of her moderators with admin rights for about 2 1/2 years now.

I believe I already told you that Kaytee Timothy Complete isn't a good brand of food in our pm's earlier. I also stated to you via pm's that the top brands are KM's ((broken link removed) online ordering only), Oxbow ((broken link removed)) and finally Mazuri 5664 (www.mazuri.com). There are no other brands of pellets that will compare to these in the US. The rest are all junky garbage.

Kaytee Timothy complete uses low quality fillers, potentially cancer causing preservatives and other unneeded ingredients. If you want your guinea pigs to be on a better pellet, then KM's or Oxbow are the best top choices.

I am moving this thread to the diet and nutrition section as it primarily relates to pellets then caging.

As far as the cage question, are you wanting to build a C&C? The materials are pretty easy to find and cheap to make.

lovepigs

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Going to the section of the forum dealing with your questions is always a good idea. Often there will be sticky threads at the top of each section that will be able to provide you with the answers you need.

As I'm sure Ly probably already told you, while Kaytee's Timothy Complete is a plain pellet, it contains a preservative called ethoxyquin which has the potential to be carcinogenic.

lovepigs

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
Good luck with getting piggy food!

valfl

Cavy Slave
Is the Kaytee hay ok to use? The only ingrediants are hay.

Thanks,
Val

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Kaytee hay is fine if you can find decent quality. It usually ends up being far more expensive than some of the mail order or special order hays though, because it typically only comes in small bags. Ordering in bulk is far cheaper per pound if you have the room to store the larger quantity.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.