Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Piggy getting pee on himself?

Gerrit2

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

Recently I switched to those rectangle fleece flooring (forgot what their called but where sorta like a fleece pillowcase goes on a flat rectangle)
and I've been having problems with one piggy getting pee all over the region around his genitals. It has stained his fur and he's a white furred guinea pig so it is obvious. Is there any way I can prevent against this? They refuse to become potty trained and I have tried multiple videos and tutorials. I turned a portion of the cage back to bedding but it still happens

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First off, you can't potty train pigs. If you're lucky, a pick will pick a place in the cage to do it's business, and you can put something there to catch it. But that's training you, not the pig.

Second, fleece doesn't work at all unless you have an absorbent layer under it. There's a whole forum on fleece on this site that you can read.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Are you using fleece flippers? Did you test if the water is going through the fleece to the absorbent layer? The top of the fleece should stay dry.

If the urine is going through, but your pig likes to pee in one spot and lay there, you might have to change that section more often.

Gerrit2

Cavy Slave
Training a guinea pig to "potty" in a certain area, potty training.

Second, I use fleece flippers and they have two layers of absorbent lining pads.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
All I'm saying is, it doesn't work. If you have a cooperative pig, they'll go in the same place all the time. If not, they'll go everywhere. But it's extremely unlikely that you can get them to potty where you want them to and not where they want to.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Did you listen to @lissie though? It is really important that your fleece is wicking properly. If it isn't, the wet bottom could possibly cause a URI, which can be deadly. Here is a clip from a blog post on Cali Cavy Collective on how to wick fleece:

Wash the fleece in warm or hot water. Dry after washing Repeat 3-5 times to break down the water barrier in new fleece fabric. DO NOT use any fabric softener or conditioner! This will replace the water barrier that you are trying to break down. Check after drying to see if the fleece is ready by pouring a small amount of water on it. If it is ready the water will pass through the fleece. If the water remains on the surface and does not sink through, return it to the washing machine for another cycle before checking again.

Read more at: (broken link removed)

Copyright © 2015. Cali Cavy Collective.
All Rights Reserved

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.