Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Piggies again after 20+ years!

Alisande

Cavy Gazer
Hi All: Been reading threads on here for several weeks and decided to join. A little over 2 weeks ago I adopted two girls who are now 9 weeks old. Haven't had guinea pigs for a LONG time. It sure is nice to have good information about their care at your fingertips on the internet.

My girls are Willow and Autumn. Autumn is much bolder and more sociable and started eating out of my hand (set gently in the cage) after a few days - I didn't try that right away as they were obviously scared in their new home and needed time to settle in by hiding in their hidey-house except to venture out to eat. Willow is shyer and gets most of her veggies by stealing them out of Autumn's mouth. lol But the past week or so she's gotten more confident about taking veggies from my hand, too. She's just not as brave as her friend. I suspect she'll never be as tame but as time goes on she'll be less shy.

I have a 2 x 3.5 C&C cage with the "Cavy Cafe" and the Coroplast cover over the Cafe, which is working out great. 90% of their peeing and pooping occurs in the kitchen area, so cleaning the cage is a snap. I'm using fleece "sheets" over washable puppy pads in the main area and am trying different methods in the kitchen until I find one I like enough to stick with.

They have a water bottle which I change daily, but I found they much prefer drinking right out of a bowl. They get Oxbow Young Guinea Pig pellets, Oxbow timothy hay (since the "young" pellets are alfalfa based already so growing babies get enough calcium), and various veggies and small, infrequent amounts of fruit. I AM a bit confused by the fruit and veggie guidelines as many lists don't indicate amounts. If you feed a veggie once a week, can you feed smaller amounts every day, etc.? I do go by the cup of greens daily, but am not really sure how much carrot, cucumber, parsley, etc. is appropriate.

Looking forward to reading and learning more about caring for these two goofballs. They seem happy in their new home, popcorning and doing the zoomies.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Congratulations on your new adoptions! I'm sure you're looking forward to enjoying your new furry children.

And now that you've found this place,

Welcome home.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.