Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Peta

Status
Not open for further replies.
CavySpirit said:
What exactly are you FOR? That's what I want to know. I could counter any list with hundreds upon hundreds of POSITIVES. I just don't have the time. LIKE I SAID, DailyGP, THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR BASHING animal welfare organizations. If you've got something BETTER to present, go for it.

If you've got an issue with Newkirk, take it up with PETA instead of bitching here.

Why is it a problem to state my opinion on PETA when the OPer started this thread for that reason? I don't understand.

Quote Maggie:
"I'm more of taking a poll, to see where people stand on the forum, and allowing them to state their opinion."

This is the kitchen, isn't it? What happened to a good healthy debate?

*Sigh* Another stupid SPCA

In this topic a member critized SPCA and no one had a problem with that?

Which reminds me, locally what got people upset about PETA was a PETA sponsored billboard with concentration camp victims on one side and cattle on the other. Local personalities said PETA was anti-semitic for running these advertisements equating concentration camp victims with cattle and due to this type of pressure and public outcry the billboards were eventually taken down. Personally I'm quite indifferent, but for me that local news item was the first time I even heard about PETA.

DaisyGP said:
*Sigh* Another stupid SPCA

In this topic a member critized SPCA and no one had a problem with that?
In this case, no, I don't have any problem with it at all. This wasn't criticizing the SPCA in general, it was criticizing this one particular one. Did you bother to read the ad that it was referencing? It was advocating housing a guinea pig and a rabbit together and saying that there was nothing wrong with that. It's unbelivably dangerous to do that, to the point that the guinea pigs can be killed.

From CavySpirit:

I just want to add to this as if this were post #2 on this thread, this IS a PRO-PETA forum.

It is not necessary to defend their policies on this forum. If you take issue with PETA, great. Start a thread about another animal welfare organization that does things better and discuss how you support that organization and why it's better. Be positive.

I SAID, if you don't like PETA, fine. But I don't want to hear much about it. If you've got better alternatives--EXCELLENT!!!! Let's hear them! You are more than welcome here no matter what you think of PETA.

The problem, Daisy, with stating your opinion is that no matter what the original poster said, *CavySpirit* has said that this is a PRO-PETA forum, and that she doesn't want to hear much about how you don't like them. If you have a different animal welfare organization that you do like, we want to hear about that. But we do not want to hear any more PETA bashing, whether it's about pit bulls or fanatical members or anything else.

This is the kitchen, isn't it? What happened to a good healthy debate?

This question has already been asked by someone and answered by CavySpirit. See quote below.
You're not open to some healthy, intelligent debate on PETA's policies?

If I ever see that, I'll let you know. In the meantime, like I said, I have a BIG problem with people slamming any organization that does even a little good for animals, let alone the HUGE amount of good that PETA does. That is NOT what this forum is about. I discourage it.

Susan9608 said:
This question has already been asked by someone and answered by CavySpirit. See quote below.

Yes, but I think our problem with that is that it is very dismissive of CavySpirit to announce that she's not interested in such a debate. Some of us are. And while it is true that this is CavySpirit's forum, I think that a certain amount of freedom of expression should be permitted.

A member was interested in other people's opinion of PETA. That includes both the positive and negative. We all know where CavySpirit stands on the topic of PETA, but the rest of us get to have opinions, and express them, as well.

Percy's Mom said:
In this case, no, I don't have any problem with it at all. This wasn't criticizing the SPCA in general, it was criticizing this one particular one. Did you bother to read the ad that it was referencing? It was advocating housing a guinea pig and a rabbit together and saying that there was nothing wrong with that. It's unbelivably dangerous to do that, to the point that the guinea pigs can be killed.

Percy's Mom, I did infact read the ad it was critizing. I know you aren't suppose to keep guinea pigs and rabbits together. Yes, that is an issue. But how is it any less important than peta wanting to exterminate pit bulls? I realize that pit bulls aren't guinea pigs but they both have their lives at stake.

Susan9608 said:
From CavySpirit:
The problem, Daisy, with stating your opinion is that no matter what the original poster said, *CavySpirit* has said that this is a PRO-PETA forum, and that she doesn't want to hear much about how you don't like them. If you have a different animal welfare organization that you do like, we want to hear about that. But we do not want to hear any more PETA bashing, whether it's about pit bulls or fanatical members or anything else.

Fair enough. For future referance it should be stated at the top of the kitchen page, or it is there somewhere and I somehow missed it? I know it states that it is pro-rescue but maybe now you'll have to be more specific. Just a suggestion.

This forum is run by a guinea pig rescue and is a rescue-friendly board.
Intentional breeding and/or showing "how-to" discussions are not welcome in this forum.
For more information on breeding, see Cavy Spirit's Breeding page.
What does it mean to be a so-called responsible breeder? Read this page to find out.
For accidental pregnancy information, see this GuineaLynx page.

The discussions in this forum sometimes get heated; passions tend to run high.
Please try to be respectful. What some people consider lively debate, you may consider rude.
If your sensibilities are easily offended, you may want to avoid this forum.

"If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the Kitchen!"

DaisyGP said:
Fair enough. For future referance it should be stated at the top of the kitchen page, or it is there somewhere and I somehow missed it? I know it states that it is pro-rescue but maybe now you'll have to be more specific. Just a suggestion.
It was stated when T (CavySpirit) said that this is a PRO-PETA forum.

When the Admin states a fact about the site and lays down some rules, whenever or where ever that may be, then that is what we must respect.

All we ask is that if you are going to bash PETA that instead of simply griping about it you supply us with a viable alternative. As far as I can tell no other large animal advocacy group gets as many results and exposes as many abusive practices as PETA. Give us a different group that gets results like PETA that we can get behind and then we will talk about the problems with PETA.

You realize DaisyGP that PETA might just be going along with the local laws regarding pit bulls? My province now has a pit bull ban. That might entail that PETA has to put down what pit bulls it happens upon.

Also the person who sent you the message said this:
i was a member of peta

To me "was" means past tense. As in no longer a member. There may well be a very good reason she is no longer a member. It could well be her attitude towards living creatures.

"Even if animal tests produced a cure for AIDS, we’d be against it."
- PETA president and co-founder Ingrid Newkirk, in the September 1989 issue of Vogue (September 1, 1989)

"Arson, property destruction, burglary, and theft are ‘acceptable crimes’ when used for the animal cause."
- PETA co-founder Alex Pacheco lists the “acceptable” tactics to fight for animal rights, Associated Press (January 3, 1989)

"[Eating meat] is not your personal decision, any more than, you know, whether somebody beats their child is their personal decision."
- “Animal Rights 2002” convention (June 29, 2002)

VoodooJoint said:
It was stated when T (CavySpirit) said that this is a PRO-PETA forum.

When the Admin states a fact about the site and lays down some rules, whenever or where ever that may be, then that is what we must respect.

All we ask is that if you are going to bash PETA that instead of simply griping about it you supply us with a viable alternative. As far as I can tell no other large animal advocacy group gets as many results and exposes as many abusive practices as PETA. Give us a different group that gets results like PETA that we can get behind and then we will talk about the problems with PETA.

My point was that it should be posted on this, so that someone doesn't accidently make a topic on it and get flamed

This forum is run by a guinea pig rescue and is a rescue-friendly board.
Intentional breeding and/or showing "how-to" discussions are not welcome in this forum.
For more information on breeding, see Cavy Spirit's Breeding page.
What does it mean to be a so-called responsible breeder? Read this page to find out.
For accidental pregnancy information, see this GuineaLynx page.

The discussions in this forum sometimes get heated; passions tend to run high.
Please try to be respectful. What some people consider lively debate, you may consider rude.
If your sensibilities are easily offended, you may want to avoid this forum.

"If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the Kitchen!"

Sabriel said:
You realize DaisyGP that PETA might just be going along with the local laws regarding pit bulls? My province now has a pit bull ban. That might entail that PETA has to put down what pit bulls it happens upon.

Also the person who sent you the message said this:

To me "was" means past tense. As in no longer a member. There may well be a very good reason she is no longer a member. It could well be her attitude towards living creatures.

She isn't the only person who is against pit bulls. She was just the example I used. Many many people pit bill lovers and/or owners are against PETA because of the fact of what they are doing to them. The article provided wasn't the only incident of this happening. It happens repeatedly and members repeatedly attack pit bull owners.lovers that try to stop these breed baning bills. Just look this up if you don't believe me. That's all I ask.

In all the news I heard about Ontario's Pit Bull ban, in all the time I followed that topic I did not once see PETA take our attorney general's side. Not once did I see him even quote PETA. And he would have since he was grasping at straws to make his "logic" make sense to dog owners.

I was very vocal agaisnt the ban, and not once did PETA even get brought up by either side of the debate. I am sure my opposition would have loved to drag PETA into this if they could have.

I personally have no knowledge on Peta being for or against Pit Bulls, but from what I can see, if they are against the breeding of this dog breed, it makes sence to me. Arn't they against all dog breeding though?

In the case with pit bulls, these dogs are so often bred and badly treated, more so then perhaps any other dog breed. Also, the shelters are filled to the brim with Pit Bulls, and crosses, which just can't seem to find homes. I know right now the Toronto Humane Society has mostly pit bulls and pit bull crosses, some of which have been there for a year or more waiting for their forever home.

Maggie's post is a prime example of why I will not have this discussion here.

You want the intro to the forum amended? Fine, I'll amend it.

This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.