Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Peta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maggie

Cavy Slave
I have a simple question - Is anyone here with or supports PETA? I'm not stating my opinion to avoid the inevitable argument, at least so I'm not in it. :expressio (I've already argued with you guys - I'm not doing it again! I say that in a cheerful tone)

If you're refusing to state your opinion, and thus refusing to participate in any conversation that ensues, what is your interest? Why do you care if other people support PETA?

I'm a very proud member of PETA. I applaud all the good work they do for animals.

I'm more of taking a poll, to see where people stand on the forum, and allowing them to state their opinion. I'm refusing to state my own so I don't start a fire we can avoid.

Okay ... that still doesn't answer my question. Why are *you* interested in everyone's opinions on PETA?

Just by starting a thread in the Kitchen on a topic that is bound to be controversial, you most likely already started the "inevitable argument" and the "fire we can avoid."

The topic came up in another thread, and so she started a seperate thread to debate the matter. Don't be so touchy, guys. lol

I'm not touchy. I'm curious as to why someone who refuses to give their own opinion on PETA wants to know the opinions of others.

I am a member of PETA and proud of it.

I'm curious about something...
i've heard (don't shoot the messenger!) that PETA does not support owning Animals as pets, because they believe that animals should be more equal with people, and I want to know what everyone else thinks about this. It's one of those rumors that anti PETA people here pass around (and that they pass around everywhere that I know of).

Just curious...

PETA does not advocate people not owning pets, although they do refer to them as "companion animals" and not pets. It's not that the PETA philosophy says that animals should be equal with human beings in that they should have the right to vote and the right to bear arms and all that stuff. The idea is that since human beings are animals (mammals) that other species should have the right to the same things we take forgranted - the right to be free of pain, the right to adequate food, water, and shelter, the right to appropriate medical care, the right to be respected as a living, sentient being, and the right to a dignified end.

Susan9608 said:
PETA does not advocate people not owning pets, although they do refer to them as "companion animals" and not pets. It's not that the PETA philosophy says that animals should be equal with human beings in that they should have the right to vote and the right to bear arms and all that stuff. The idea is that since human beings are animals (mammals) that other species should have the right to the same things we take forgranted - the right to be free of pain, the right to adequate food, water, and shelter, the right to appropriate medical care, the right to be respected as a living, sentient being, and the right to a dignified end.

The right to appropriate medical care? The right to a dignified end? I assume you mean only if they're pets. Wild animals do not have these rights. Humans have the right to medical care because we provide that for ourselves, and if we take responsibility for the care of an animal, that provision is transferred.

Also, since when do humans have the right to a dignified end? Last I heard, euthanasia is illegal in most countries around the world.

Last I heard, euthanasia is illegal in most countries around the world.

Yes, but even a slow death in a hospital, with all your friends and family around you, with people caring for you is better then what most animals get. People in North America typically don't get their throats slit or are gased to death. We tend to view that as inhumane.

Thank you Sabriel. That's exactly the kind of thing I was referring to.

And with the truly wild animals, PETA's stance is that they have the right to live - and die - away from human interference.

Sabriel said:
Yes, but even a slow death in a hospital, with all your friends and family around you, with people caring for you is better then what most animals get. People in North America typically don't get their throats slit or are gased to death. We tend to view that as inhumane.

Of course. I just always thought it was very strange that we consider it 'humane' to put down an animal who is obviously dying (as my family recently had to do with the beloved family cat), but a person with a terminal disease who wants to die peacefully is not given the same right.

You're welcome. I just attended a funeral, so I have been musing much on death and grace at the end of ones time.

Krysanthemum said:
Of course. I just always thought it was very strange that we consider it 'humane' to put down an animal who is obviously dying (as my family recently had to do with the beloved family cat), but a person with a terminal disease who wants to die peacefully is not given the same right.
It is strange. People focus too much on the religious and not enough on the scientific sometimes.

Susan9608 said:
And with the truly wild animals, PETA's stance is that they have the right to live - and die - away from human interference.

So... as an extention to this, PETA is acknowledging that there is a different level of rights for domesticated animals as opposed to wild animals? Is it not then equally able to be asserted that meat animals (cows, pigs, chickens, fish etc) have a different level of rights to pet animals?

Devil's advocate, don't kill me. :)

Are you going to argue with everything I say?

If you're so interested, and are not asking to argue for the sake of arguing, why don't you check out (broken link removed) I'm sure you'll find the answers to all your questions there.

Susan9608 said:
Are you going to argue with everything I say?

If you're so interested, and are not asking to argue for the sake of arguing, why don't you check out (broken link removed) I'm sure you'll find the answers to all your questions there.

Lol, I'm not picking on you, Susan. I just think that if you're going to support an organisation as extreme as PETA can sometimes get, you should be able to defend their policies.

I just want to add to this as if this were post #2 on this thread, this IS a PRO-PETA forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.