Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Pellets for SPCA!

Brookielizz

Cavy Slave
My local SPCA currently has two guinea pigs that have been there for a few months now. I have been trying my best to help them in any way I can. I just found out that they have been giving the pigs different pellets brands of pellets very often, so I decided I'm going to try to buy them a big bag if pellets and buy them a new one ever month so they can stop hurting their poor stomachs with changing up their food. Now, being a poor college student, I can't afford to give them the best of the best pellets like I do my current pigs. So, I was wondering if anyone knew a cheap, but still good, brand of pellets that I could buy from Petco or petsmart. Also, any ideas of cheap things I could get/make for them to go with this gift basket I am giving them.

Oxbow is the best brand sold at Petsmart. Kaytee timothy complete is slightly cheaper and not horrible, but not as good.

I'm not sure what brands will be available in your area, but I would look for a feed store rather than a pet store if you can. They typically stock larger bags than pet stores. I got a 25 lb bag of Mazuri pellets for $20 at Coastal farm supply that lasted through the summer, which is my financially lean season.

Thanks for doing this! I find oxbow cheaper than kaytee Timothy at my local petco and the quality of oxbow is better.

Thank you for the help! I needed up going with oxbow! I got a great deal at a discount pet food store! The piggies were very happy! (Probably because I brought bell pepper though haha)

How nice of you to help them! You could bring or just suggest to them that empty toilet papers rolls make good chew toys. Easy to toss in and there is always a steady supply : )

I actually did bring toilet paper rolls haha! I also brought hay (because I buy that in bulk so I have a lot), a few old hidey huts I had, some bedding (I told them about fleece but they said they couldn't wash it. Which is understandable), and two containers of veggies! I really wanted to make this a good donation for them. I feel so bad for those piggies. They have been there so long and the one just got over some kind of sickness. I'd adopt them if I could but I just don't have the room. :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.