Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellet food question

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
In one cage I have a 9 mth boar and (2) 6 week boars.
In another cage I have a 9 mth sow and a 6 week sow.
In each cage I have a 1 cup measuring cup that I fill with pellets each day. The pigs eat the majority of the pellets, but there is always a small amount left when I go to refill daily...this helps me keep up with them getting their daily recomended pellets, but not more than they should get.

OK, here's my question. I'm looking at KM and Oxbow websites for pellets. I'd like to keep all 5 pigs on the same pellet diet since it's virtually impossible to determine when they want to eat pellets therefore I'd have a hard time seperating the babies to feed them alfalfa pellets. Alongside the pellets, each day my piggies get 1 cup of veggies each and unlimited timothy and bermuda hay. What should I do in regards to pellets?
Would it be sufficient to feed all the pigs Cavy Cuisine/Timothy based pellets, and possibly just section the babies off once a day for an alfalfa hay treat or something (veggie) high in calcium?
I'm trying to figure out the most cost and time efficient way to make sure the babies get the extra's they need without my adults getting more than they need. AH!

Thanks
Tina

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
What should I do in regards to pellets? Would it be sufficient to feed all the pigs Cavy Cuisine/Timothy based pellets, and possibly just section the babies off once a day for an alfalfa hay treat or something (veggie) high in calcium?
This would work but I would give them alfalfa hay during a period of floor time and then during laptime offer them calcium rich veggies.

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
Good idea, Thanks Ly!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.