Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Oxbow!

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
Yessss! *does a jig* I found Oxbow in Wilsons Pet Centres! It was the Western Timothy type.
Downside is, it was £4-something for a really small bag. They had some other brands though - one was a much bigger bag and only £3-something. It called itself "dried grass" and was really green. Would this be even better, because it was barely hay, it was sooo green?

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Was the other brand called something like "Friendly Dried Grass"? Clear bag with green and white label/logo? I tend to refer to that stuff as more of a Readigrass type hay. I use it as an extra forage and include it for different tastes, and I use Tesco Meadow Hay as their main hay. (Tesco do really green hay a lot these days - not as green as Oxbow but still.)

At least Oxbow is becoming a little more widespread here now.

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
Yes, it is good! I can't remember what it looked like, sorry. I think I'll have to go to a bigger Tesco's to get hay, they don't have it the local one.

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
Wilson's do do a good selection of grasses and hays, at least mine does. I'm still not seeing Orchard grass hay yet! is anyone else? Mine much prefer the orcgard to the timothy. I managed to find Brome hay once but it's too coarse, only the rabbit was happy to eat it.

thalestral

Cavy Slave
You could always just order online? I find that ordering in bulk from the many sites people here use works out much cheaper per kg, delivery included :)

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
Which website do you suggest? Kleenmama doesn't ship here and I can't find the information of Oxbow's site - only the list of shops that sell it.
I need some more hay now, I've run out. Well, must run and get a bag from the pet shop down the road :bored:

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Yup - the dried grass is great - my girls love it! ( I usually mix 3 types together - timothy, simply grass and dried grass)

I would recommend THISTLE CAVIES for good, prompt and reliable service. All profit goes to the piggies.

I keep looking at Tesco's hay - but ours just seems to stock the shredded cardboard type. If it turns greener - I may consider trying some!

JulianSteve

Cavy Slave
We use Readi Grass made by Spillers. Its made for horses and its pure dried grass and the pigs love it. Under £10 for a huge bag.

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
I really do not like to order online as the post and packaging is awful and you so often have to put your details online which I do not trust. I'll keep look around but they're happy with the Wilson's hay at the moment. I'd just love to get orchard for them.

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
The post and packing does seem expensive I know, but actually if I compare it to the cost of a bus fare into town or petrol and parking then it's probably quite reasonable. You can order by phone on some of the stores listed. But if you have a source of nice hay locally that the pigs like then stick with that and enjoy your good fortune!

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
I really do not like to order online as the post and packaging is awful and you so often have to put your details online which I do not trust. I'll keep look around but they're happy with the Wilson's hay at the moment. I'd just love to get orchard for them.

If you contact Thistle Cavies via email and ask nicely they can do all the ordering offline for you! P&P from them only covers the cost and is included in most of the site's prices.

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
If you contact Thistle Cavies via email and ask nicely they can do all the ordering offline for you! P&P from them only covers the cost and is included in most of the site's prices.

Thats interesting to know, thank you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.