Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Animals and Breeding

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@spudsthepiget that's interesting about English Bulldogs. Do you know why they can't mate without human intervention?

pinky

Cavy Slave
@spudsthepiget that's interesting about English Bulldogs. Do you know why they can't mate without human intervention?

I watched a PBS special on dogs a while back and it discussed how the English Bulldog has been so overbred, it no longer resembles the dog it once was. Bulldogs used to resemble Boxers. They bred them to achieve stumpy legs, large heads and torsos. They're not healthy animals. It's really sad what breeders have done to this breed.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I remember hearing about that, I think my boyfriend mentioned it. They're also quite a difficult breed to train (within my knowledge of them personally). I more meant why do they need physical intervention though. I assumed since it said mate or birth, it meant a human had to get involved for them to actually do it.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
A friend of our family (millionaire friend as it happens) got a purebreed English Bulldog. It basically humped everyone so aggressively that people were getting physically injured, even after neutering. But being so "high society" and all they had to have a purebreed. I'm honestly glad they gave him to Dogs Trust, they're so invested in the dogs in their care I know they'll find the poor guy a proper home.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
@ThePigAlchemist is right; their bodies are too stocky to mount. Since their heads are so big, they can't pass through the birth canal and have to be born by C-Section. It's very sad to see what's become of the breed :( There really isn't any such thing as a healthy bulldog.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.