Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Where to Order? On a food hunt!

MissPriss16

Cavy Slave
I was wondering if anyone could recommend sites where you buy good quality guinea pig food and hay?
I know you can't rely on pet store food and I only want the best for my Willow ❤️ so I would really appreciate if you all would post good reliable web sites to buy guinea pig food and hay from?

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Those are the two best brands of pellets and hay out there. The Oxbow site has a store locator but you have to order online for KM's which is the cream of the crop in my opinion on both pellets and hay.

I actually found Oxbow Cavy Cuisine at Petsmart, is it safe to buy it there

I actually found Oxbow Cavy Cuisine at Petsmart, is it safe to buy it there

It really depends on your values whether or not you want to buy from a pet store. You might also be able to find it cheaper at a vet, it just takes some investigating.

Personally, I do not have a problem with buying SUPPLIES only from stores. If you do not want to contribute at all to the chains who sell live animals, then I would look into the vets nearby.
(broken link removed)
If you use the locator, you might be able to find the closest vet that sells food.

When I have plans that involve going past vets' offices who sell the pellets, I will stop and buy from there, since the one I go to sells in 10 lb bags that end up about $3.50 cheaper than buying two 5 lb bags from Petsmart.

It's preferable to not buy supplies in stores that sell live sentient beings.

I did the store location for Oxbow supplies and it says my local vet Longmeadow carries it. I work at Longmeadow vet as a kennel assistant, but I've never seen Oxbow supplies :?:

I did the store location for Oxbow supplies and it says my local vet Longmeadow carries it. I work at Longmeadow vet as a kennel assistant, but I've never seen Oxbow supplies :?:

Double check with the receptionist, do you guys have dog food and all that lined up out front? It could be that your vet might have like the vitamin C tabs or that they no longer carry, but they should be able to order it in for you if they are listed on the oxbow locator. It's worth asking about!!

As I mentioned in a different thread, I'm done with Oxbow. I bought from them for years, and put up with ever decreasing quality hay. But they've stopped selling direct, so my costs just skyrocketed due to middle-man costs ($13 - $25 product cost, and as much as $23 additional shipping cost!).

As for pet stores, I now avoid them with a passion. It sickens me to even have to go into one. I know it's over-dramatic, but I feel like I'm enabling a 'concentration camp' for pets when I spend money there. I can't even go into the pet area of the store now when I do have to go in for something for my dog or cats.

We recently lost our Griffin to bloat, and his son Bandit now lives alone. I had a difficult time explaining to my daughter why getting another piggie from a pet store is not 'rescuing' him. I know it really is, but like most good intentions, it's only encouraging the stores to carry pets.

We're hoping to find him a mate, but it's looking more and more like our best option is to neuter him, and place him with his mother and sister. (That's another long story about why you shouldn't buy pets from a pet store!).

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.