Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Okay to feed Oxbow Orchard Grass hay with brown strands?

GotPigs?

Cavy Slave
I know Kleenmama and Sweatmeadow are generally superior to Oxbow in nutrition and quality but I'm a vet student so we get Oxbow products at a great discount ($11 for a 9 lb box of hay, 10 lbs of pellets for $9, no shipping costs) and this is what my piggies get. The last box of Orchard Grass I ordered didn't have a single brown strand of hay in it but the box I got today has quite a few- is this okay to feed? I've attached a couple pictures of the hay, and one of the piggies begging for me to fill the hay rack :)

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Yep, it's fine to feed. Cute pigs.

cetd27

Cavy Slave
Oh,what cutie piggies! I just picked up a small bag of orchard today, the brown pieces are fine. My bag didn't have any brown in it. I guess it just depends on the cut and the season. The last bag of Timothy I got had a lot of hard pieces in it, I returned it today, but the bag before that one was really nice. I guess it's just hit or miss. You are definitely getting a good deal on it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.