Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Oh, The Irony...

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Ever since I can remember, I never really liked Abys. I don't know why, I just didn't like them. We'd be in the pet store and my mom would comment on how cute their hair was, and little me would say, "It's ugly. I like that one, with the normal hair."

Now... I have 3(going on 4) sows. How many are American Shorthairs? One. Uno. Singular. The other three... Abys. I love my Abys now (I don't love my Nala any less)! Their attitude is like me! Stubborn, crazy, and silly! :p

I just thought it was weird and ironic, and I was thinking about it earlier today. Have any of you guys had an ironic moment with piggies?

cavykaitlyn

Cavy Slave
I don't like how boring American coats are (I just have a vision of brushing my Peruvian) but both my piggies are Americans and I couldn't love them any more than I do already. They have unique colorings. Deli has a patch of Agouti! Just a patch! And Char has a strip of white down her nose :) they're both lovely in their own ways :D

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
I love them all. Flower is a white crested, with a little white on her chin and down her nose too, Lulu is one of the bronish creamish, squirrel looking American short haired, Loopsie is an Aby with white, black and orange, and FireCracker was a Peruvian with a black face with "tears" coming fromher eyes and a cream butt. The tears where cool little white streakes down her face :D

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I didn't have this irony with my guinea pigs, but I had it with my horses. I loved Appaloosas as a teenager and dreamed of having a gorgeous spotted Appaloosa with a loud blanket. My mother was pretty much absent in my life, so I got a job and scrimped and saved until I earned enough money to buy a cheap horse at age 16. I was over the moon when I saw a purebred Appaloosa advertised for only $600. I imagined he'd be a perfect spotted specimen, but when I went to look at him, he was a snowflake Appy. For those not familiar with the breed's coat pattern, that means a solid coat (bay, in this case), with just a light sprinkling of white hair. You could barely see it. Ironically, he had every other Appy characteristic, like prominent mottled skin and striped hooves.

I bought the horse and named him Cochise, and that horse was my heart. I owned him for more than 25 years and would have trusted him with my life. He died a few years ago, and I still miss him to this day. Many, many years later, when I was thinking about retiring him, I saw an ad for a cheap Appaloosa and went to look on a fluke. There, right before my eyes, was the loud blanketed horse of my dreams. I ended up buying him, and I love him dearly, but he's a totally different personality than Cochise. 'Chise was the horse I was fated to have, and a once in a lifetime soul mate, despite my initial disappointment at his color. It actually worked out better in the long run because I used to show him in hunter over fences classes at local shows, and the judges rarely placed loud Appys because they were considered "Western" horses, but 'Chise racked up the ribbons.

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
I had several years to think about what kind of guinea pigs I liked before I was allowed to get any, and it just so happens I got what I wanted! My first pick was a mostly white aby with patches of other colors. Even though there was only one pig at the shelter, Zelda just happened to fit that description. My second pick? A cream colored shorthair. My first piggy grandchild, Peach, surprised me by having beautiful cream colored fur despite having a white, brown, and black mom. I don't think I would've picked her pink eyes, but she's still a cutie. Elli's just my little bonus. lol

Another slight bit of irony is I think all of my pets (personal pets, not family pets) have been female, even though I didn't really have a preference either way. I used to think my gerbils were boys, but looking back they were missing some equipment that's pretty obvious on my mom's current gerbil.

Magewrite

Cavy Slave
My mom doesn't like Abys- she calls them "bad hair day" pigs :p. This wasn't helped when the only aby we ever had was seriously mean to everyone and every thing, so we only have Americans now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.