Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Now I'm paranoid...Petco-mites question

ohgracie

Cavy Slave
I got my 2 girls from Petco (and I've since been thoroughly convinced to never buy from a store again, promise!!). I've had them for 2 months now and had no signs of mites...no itching, they like to be held, etc. Should I still treat them with ivermectin as a precaution? Have I had them long enough that I can assume they don't have them?
All the posts about Petco pigs all having mites has me concerned!
TIA!

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
If you've had them this long and noticed no signs. Scratching, hair loss, sores, dandruff then they're probably fine. However, if you're really worried about it, a treatment of Ivermec/Revolution/Advantage won't hurt the pig.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You sure they are both females too? They are often missexed.

ohgracie

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I already got over the mis-sexed paranoia :) They are definitely both girls. I think I may wait until I get piggie number 3 (or 4!) before I do the ivermectin...then I'll do them all at the same time.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
I would recommend you treat your pigs now. Then after treatment, go to a reputable rescue that treats their pigs for mites as well. Then you wont have any problem.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
If you suspect mites, go ahead and treat them.

I don't know where you live, but in our case...we have to treat when the humidity gets high. It tends to activate the mites.

Whatever you do - don't wait. The poor pigs are in pain, and since treatment takes 3-5 weeks...you need to begin ASAP to start giving them some relief.

For topical (the easiest) treatment: Topical Ivermectin Treatment.

ohgracie

Cavy Slave
But they aren't in pain or showing any signs! I was asking if I should do it as a precaution even though I've had them for 2 months with NO signs. I still think I'm going to do it but it seems pointless.

Whatever you do - don't wait. The poor pigs are in pain, and since treatment takes 3-5 weeks...you need to begin ASAP to start giving them some relief.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Treating them with ivermectin won't hurt them if they don't have mites. If you can afford it and figure out the dose, treat them yourself and you'll feel better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.