Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Not yet wicking: can I use it yet?

Wolfess221

Cavy Slave
So I've washed my 100% polyester polar fleece about 5 times in hot water, no softeners or bounce sheets, and still no wicking (even when placed on top of a towel). I really want to get my piggies; is it alright to get them even if their bedding doesn't wick away pee?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Not if you're going to put them on fleece. Their feet and undersides will be wet.

Are you washing it with hot water, detergent and bleach?

Cosmic

Cavy Slave
Polar fleece can be harder to get to wick. Also some detergents (especially liquid) have extra scent boosters and other stuff that work as a sort of fabric softener.

miniver

Cavy Slave
I recently got impatient and used fleece that didn't wick. It was a mess. My poor babies had stinky, wet feet.

Finally, what worked for me, was soaking in vinegar. I poured 3 cups of vinegar the washing machine on the large load/hot setting. Just vinegar and water, no soap or bleach. I paused the machine once it was full and let the fleece soak for five or ten minutes before the wash cycle. It's now my standard routine for all new fleece and I'm getting good results after three washes.

Wolfess221

Cavy Slave
Yes, I wash them in hot water with bleach. Miniver, how many times did you have to do that routine before it worked?

miniver

Cavy Slave
It usually works after three soaks. Also, I find the cheaper the fleece the faster this works. I guess the water-proofing doesn't hold up as well on the cheap stuff. Fine by me.
I spot test new fleece three times and if it doesn't wick on all three tests I keep soaking. I've only ever needed a fourth soak once.
Man, it only took once for it not to wick before a learned my lesson. It it doesn't wick, don't use it! What a stinky, wet mess!

Wolfess221

Cavy Slave
Okay, thanks! I'm going to try your method; fingers crossed it works for me!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.