Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hiding Not as active as they were!

Piggys4Eva

Cavy Slave
Good news!

My mum got my darling Rosalie and her sister Button a new guinea pig cage. Its perfect for indoors and its big enough, but...

I don't see them as much. They both spend time on they're pigloo and I only really hear them at night when they come out.

In they're old cage I would see them nearly all the time running around playing.

I don't know what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you please describe your cage to me? The location and toys they have?

They have a hay rack at the other side of the cage and a pigloo on the opposite side.

They have ( and this is my fave bit of the cage :D ) a built in food trough for guinea pigs... its kinda hard to explain but its split into two for pellets and veggies

They also have a chew stick dangling down which whenever I see Rosalie she likes eating it :D

They don't have much toys as i wanted to get all that for they're Crimbo

xxx

I have a similar setup. i have a 2X3 top section with all their pigloo's. Then i have a mid section which is 3X5 which is their "play room" and then a 1X3 section which is sepperate for hay food etc which is tiled.
Try adding "PC PIPES" aka "Storm water pipes" the big round plastic tubes. they love running around them and playing follow the leader. if u cut a small square from your mesh's they make good stairs with padding on the inside so they dont slip. Another good thing i've found is bird toys. like the plastic hoops with bells and mirrors. I personally found everytime i got them something expensive and cool looking, Such as a little chair or bed. they wouldn't use it. And when u think about it, its not natural too them. so why would they? I look out for toys that suit there nature more. so they like using other animals burrows. so pipes. they like noises, so bells, they love reflection, so mirrors. I even find music helps them to play.
Another thing i do is each time i clean the cage i put everything (except the kitchen and toilet) in different spots. they seem to enjoy running around working out where all the pipes lead too. I hope this helps and isn't confusing. Basicly what im saying is for a happy pig. make the cage fun for them. not nice for you too look at. :D

Thanks for the help :)

Its hard to get stuff at the moment because I'm in the pantomine at the Theater so sunday is my quality time with Rosalie but luckily i only have one more week left of the pantomine! YAY!!!

Oh get rid of the chew stick. They're not usually good for your pigs. If they need to chew try fruit woods (like apple, cherry) or paper towel rolls (slit down the middle).

Also try periodically rearranging the cage, that helps. What size is it?

I agree about the PVC pipes, my boys love them.

My boys took a lot of time to get used to the new cage. But I see them all the time now.

Take out the chew stick and get another hidey--pigs don't like to share. You can clip a washcloth in a corner to make a towel tent or use a cardboard box.

Just give them time, and they'll get used to you. It might take them a while. Try scattering their favorite veggies around the cage to get them to explore. Spend lots of time near the cage and cleaning the cage so they get used to your voice and scent.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.