Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Not an ideal question but...

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
I am sorry, but if you were my daughter and you described a poor just adopted shelter dog, who has probably been through a lot, as dumb and stupid, I would never get you any animal. Sorry if it hurts.

Roo99

Cavy Slave
I agree with many in saying that if you call your dog 'dumb', your parents probably won't let you get any other animal. I mean, I lovingly call my dog dumb. I love her to death, and I have taught her many tricks, but she refuses to fetch. When I call her dumb, I'm just teasing her. She is a wonderful dog, and she is extremely sweet. If you are calling your dog dumb because you really think that it is dumb, then that's a problem.

Why not try playing with your dog? If it's an inside dog, you could watch a movie with it, give it a belly rub (if it'll sit still long enough), brush its fur, take it on a walk, or just sit down with it and hang out. Your parents certainly won't be impressed if you sulk about your dog. I mean, they got you a dog! Isn't it nice to at least have one pet? And if you can learn to enjoy your dog, then at least you'll have a good companion in your dog if you can't get piggies.

Another thing to try; ask your parents if there is anything that you can do around the house to earn a little extra money. If they don't catch on that you want money for pigs, then you could drop a hint. Or, just take the money. 'Cause hey, money!

If your parents still say no, (this might be hard) just wait. They might want you to mature a little bit before they entrust another pet to you. You have a dog to enjoy, so enjoy it! And if you still really, really want a guinea pig, then prove it to your parents by staying interested in the subject. Don't pester them, but let them know that you have accepted their decision for now, and you still would like the pigs. If you sulk (which it seems like you might be doing a bit now) then they won't think that you are really, really committed to adopting pigs.

Good luck to you, hope that you can prove to your parents that you can get pigs! Have a fantastic day.

-Roo

guineapigsrock1

Cavy Gazer
It's not that I don't like the dog (He's actually one of the sweetest dogs I've ever seen!), but he's just untrained, and annoying. When my dad saw the dog, we all fell in love, but my mom and I both didn't like that he was under a year old. We wanted a mature dog, but my dad is "man of the house" so we got this one.
I understand that no is no, but like I said, I want a gradual process that I don't have to spring the question up on them out of no-where.

Even I have to agree that my grades aren't the best, so that I have to fix. But, I don't have any activities going on after school, so I'd have enough time for the guinea pigs, and the dog. I have done a ton of research on guinea pigs, so I don't need the whole lecture on "do you know how much work goes into this?" I've been on this site several times before and i know how much work goes into them. I learned a lot from you people on here. You have also been giving me ideas on how to gain my parents trust of my responsibility! Thank you to those of you have actually given me advice, and not rant on me about me calling my puppy stupid!

guineapigsrock1

Cavy Gazer
I don't mean stupid as stupid, just as untrained and well, stupid! lol

Amethysta

Cavy Slave
Here's where I sit on this.

My kids are 18, 10, almost 8 and almost 4. My 10 year old helps with our pigs. Because we have so many, it's easier with him helping on cleaning days (for floor time). He is very good with them, and has one that he has that is "his", and that was because she chose him. Paprika loves to run around the cage when it's time to come out, but with him, she just lets him pick her up.

As far as getting any of them their own pets? It would be a no go. They have too many "Oooh shiny" moments, forgetting about normal every day stuff, and I know in the end it will be my responsibility to take care of them.

What it would come down to for me, show me you can take care of what we have. Feed without being asked, check water and hay feeders. That goes a lot further than being begged and whined at.

I want to bring this question to the table also, what happens if you get sick and are unable to take care of your guinea? Would your parents be willing to pick up the slack? I'm not trying to be mean, but that's something I know as a parent I would want to know before I signed aboard for another animal.

guineapigsrock1

Cavy Gazer
Here's where I sit on this.
I want to bring this question to the table also, what happens if you get sick and are unable to take care of your guinea? Would your parents be willing to pick up the slack? I'm not trying to be mean, but that's something I know as a parent I would want to know before I signed aboard for another animal.

I have a sister who would be more than happy to do the work when I'm sick, and help me when I'm not! She wanted guinea pigs too. We were going to get two. One for me and one for her. She almost never gets sick, so she wouldn't need any body to cover for her! Well, besides me...

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
pshhhh im 15 and sickness has never stopped me from caring for my animals. i even broke my ankle in two places and still did water changes on my fish tanks, it hurt and i had to take it slow but i still did it.

Amethysta

Cavy Slave
pshhhh im 15 and sickness has never stopped me from caring for my animals. i even broke my ankle in two places and still did water changes on my fish tanks, it hurt and i had to take it slow but i still did it.

That's good for you, however, I was trying to make a point.

Not every illness will allow you to get up to do bedding changes or even do simple care for pets.. I suffer from seizures, and there are points where I have to ask my husband or son to do simple things that people take for granted being able to do, just because I am unable to get up and move on my own after the fact.

@guineapigsrock1 : It sounds like you have your back covered :) Good luck.

Last edited:

Roo99

Cavy Slave
Thank you to those of you have actually given me advice, and not rant on me about me calling my puppy stupid!

If you thought I was ranting, that wasn't what I meant. Didn't mean to offend if I did!

Here are some more ideas:

If I were you, I would start out by thinking about any chores that you have around the house. Say that you're responsible for taking out the trash and cleaning the kitchen counters every night after dinner. Then, you take out the trash as soon as you finish eating, and go the extra mile on those counter tops. And if you have any chores that you aren't required to do, but are asked to do occasionally, try taking those up as all the time chores.

Do you get an allowance? If you do, how much of it would you be willing to spend on guinea pigs? If I were you and I had to, it would certainly help if you told your parents that you would pay for the pellets or fresh veggies. If you have already committed to this, then fantastic! If I were your parent, I would more than appreciate that!

Also, be very proactive in this process. Say that you're on GPC and you see some information about nutrition. (I'm sure that you already know this), but you go, "Mom! Did you know that guinea pigs can't have iceberg lettuce?" Your mom might not know that, and she'll be impressed by the fact that you have been researching.

And just telling your parents, "I've been doing research," might not cut it in your case. While I don't know your parents or you, I'm sure that if you give them a bit of a presentation about what cage, bedding, pellet brand, and other kinds of things that you plan on using for your pigs it would help. Presenting them with your pig budget (if you would be paying for food) never hurts, especially if you know which shops to go to for all of your guinea pig items.

Here are some tips for your 'presentation' to your parents, if you plan on it:

*Start with where you plan on getting pigs. Ex. "The {insert city name here} Guinea Pig rescue has two boars available for adoption!" List any perks. Do the pigs come with their own cage? This is always a plus, though not a necessity.
*Talk about what bedding you plan on using and why it's good for pigs. Ex. "Fleece is good for guinea pigs because it just needs to be swept up every day, replaced every few days, and washed. It is inexpensive, and eco-friendly." or "CareFresh is safe for pigs, and we can go and get it at Example Store that is close to our house!"
*Talk about where you plan on putting the pigs. Building a C&C? Explain the concept to them if they don't understand, and show them some pictures. It can be hard to explain a C&C sometimes, so be patient if they don't grasp it immediately.
*Tell them about routine vet visits. Let them know what would be involved, about a local cavy savvy vet, and anything else that you can compile.
*Tell them about grooming. If you want to get a skinny pig, let them know about the special procedures involved in their care. If you plan on getting a furrier friend, tell them about that. I wouldn't suggest getting a Peruvian as a first guinea pig, just because convincing your parents that you are capable of grooming one might be a bit tough. If you have your heart set on a longer-haired variety, then put a lot of emphasis on grooming.
*Tell them what you will be doing to prove that you are responsible enough to own two (or three) more pets. Taking out the trash early? Tell 'em. Keeping your room clean every single day? Tell 'em. Picking up the pup's poo? Tell 'em. Walking the pup every day? Tell 'em.

You can never go into too much detail about anything above. The more information that you have, the better. If you can draw a picture of a cage layout, then do that. Graph paper helps if you aren't the best artist. (If I ever draw a straight line, I think I'll die of shock!)

Hope it helps. Keep us updated, and post any pigtures! If you need any further explanation on something I wrote, let me know.

guineapigsrock1

Cavy Gazer
*Tell them about grooming. If you want to get a skinny pig, let them know about the special procedures involved in their care. If you plan on getting a furrier friend, tell them about that. I wouldn't suggest getting a Peruvian as a first guinea pig, just because convincing your parents that you are capable of grooming one might be a bit tough. If you have your heart set on a longer-haired variety, then put a lot of emphasis on grooming.
When we where looking for dogs, I was always asking (because I was defeted, I had no choice but to learn more about dogs :) ) for a yorkie or maltese because of their long hair and I wanted to style it. If I tell them, hmm, I couldn't get a long haired dog, so can I get a long haired guinea pig?

Thank you for your suggestions. Although a lot of it I have already told them before we got the dog. I can remind them again if I need to though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.