Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Nibbler's Medical Thread

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Blood and mucous is a sign of gut disturbance, maybe infection or a parasite or a bacterial imbalance. I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with blood.

Simethicone may help him, and shouldn't hurt.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Why are you delaying adding Simethicone to your treatment regimen? IMHO it should be an integral item in any cavy owner's first aid kit. In the event of any display of gut distress, especially if it includes gas, it is the first thing I reach for. I often will administer an entire dropper on the first dose and then reduce the amount for a second and third dose (1x/day). If there doesn't appear to be any benefit, then I discontinue it, but it shouldn't have any negative effect.

One suggestion regarding tummy massages, I think it is easier and more effective to use a massager vs. using your hands. Take any vibrating object that isn't too strong (suggest small vibrator, sex toy, or even vibrating toothbrush) and wrap it in a towel and put the boy on the object in your lap. You both can enjoy the experience and it should keep him calm.

Keep in mind that when you are examining the poop, it won't reflect what you just fed him even though their digestive system moves so fast you might imagine that. It is at least likely that it more accurately reflects the state of things several hours ago.

Keep us posted!

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
Thanks Bpatters & Spy9Doc. Appreciate the tips!

We decided to take Nibbler to the vet again today after greater weight loss (weighed 1004g pre-feeding), lethargy and total inappetence to hay/pellets over night. The camera showed inactivity from 1am-5am, so I knew for sure he wasn’t going to look good once we took out his house. I was surprised that he did take a Vit C treat and ate it fully. He felt bloated this morning, but I honestly don’t really know what to feel for. His sides toward his rear legs looked more ballooned, and his underside felt a little harder than usual. We don’t know how to do the tap, knock, or flick method to hear for sounds. Where exactly do we do this? How hard? After seeing him in this state, we decided to give him .15ml of Simethicone this morning as a test.

We were able to take Nibbler in for an emergency visit ($$$) at the same vet office, but was seen by a different doctor. The vet stated his physical exam appeared well, no teeth issues, breathing appears clear , and did not feel bloated, etc. Her concerns are his age (6yo) and doesn’t want to start him up on antibiotics again until we receive the X-ray results tomorrow, she also stated to hold off on the Simethicone as well - for now. He was given a Vit C boost, and SubFl., and weighed .97kg at the office.

As of 7PM Nibbler took in 23ml of CC total, .14 Metacam, & .6 BeneBac. After his last feeding, he actually ate a fair amount of hay and pellets on his own, but we’re going to give him a few more feedings tonight and throughout the morning to hit at least 40ml. He’s had a few fairly decent poops today, but most recently had a poop about 1.2cm with strings on both sides.

We’re going to continue with the massages, and like you said Spy9Doc - we will try an electric massager and see if he likes it. We have a handheld massaging face cleanser that should do the trick.

Just out of curiosity how much do your vet visits cost? I live in Brooklyn, NY, and one of the premier exotics up here cost me $550 today, $290 for x-rays. They’re great to our boys but geez.

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
X-ray results came back, Nibbler was diagnosed with a mild-moderate case of pneumonia, excessive gas, and degenerative joint disease. He is going to be on .14ml Metacam 1x day for 7 days (4 left), and .65ml Sulfatrim 2x day for 14 days. If the Sulfatrim does not appear to be working after 3 days then we may switch to liquid Baytril. The vet would like to x-ray him in 10 days for progress. I started the Sulfatrim at 12:30pm today.

He has been eating and drinking on his own today and does not appear puffy, however I think he ventures outside his house for hay only when the house is removed, otherwise he may just eat the hay around him and chew his box house. We’re working on loading him up with 5CC every 2-3 hours and will work to hit near 40CC. We try to keep the room temps between 73-77F during the day, early morning from 4-6am may go as low as 68F. The current humidity range now is between 35-40%.

I’ve posted the radiology report, but currently awaiting the images to be emailed:

Findings
Whole body DV and lateral radiographs dated January 23, 2022 are provided for review.
There is excessive gas within the stomach and cecum and subjectively reduced volume of soft-tissue opaque ingested within the G.I. tract consistent with a history of partial anorexia.
There is a mild to moderate bronchointerstitial pulmonary pattern. The definition of the cardiac silhouette margins is subjectively reduced secondary to the increased pulmonary opacity.
Incidental findings include dystrophic mineralization within the stifle joints.

Conclusion
Bronchointerstitial pulmonary changes are consistent with infectious or aspiration pneumonia or less likely pulmonary fibrosis from previous infection.
Increased gas within the G.I. tract be secondary to a functional ileus and/or aerophagia from dyspnea and/or struggling.
Reduced ingesta within the G.I. tract consistent with partial anorexia.
Incidental moderate chronic stifle degenerative joint disease.

Last edited:

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
We’ve received the x-ray images and uploaded it here for anyone interested in them for their own usage or has additional pointers. To me, it looks like the big bubble from the x-rays taken last month has reduced in size, maybe even reduced into smaller bubbles. Does anybody else see that, or am I seeing things? Does anyone see anything else concerning aside from the radiology report?

We haven’t given him Simethicone since Sunday but may start it back up and use it recurringly. I’ve read that it may bind smaller bubbles into larger ones making it even harder to pass, is that true?

He weighed in at 1012g as of 4:30am and has been eating a good deal on his own. We’ve only given him 10CC through 5:30pm, but again will increase throughout the night. He’s a fighter this guy, looking very good at times. His poops have increased in size and shape as well - no blood, mucous, or stringy ends at this time.

I ordered Sherwood Prevention Tablets that should be coming in tomorrow and hope that might boost him through this ordeal.

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
Updated X-rays from 1/23/22:

Attachments

A4F8F630-7735-4D4A-AA87-57BC49B5AEB0.jpg 5673E045-D955-4D43-9862-E6B6DF46F906.jpg 655AB9CE-AE72-469E-AC9F-56EF719C48EA.jpg FD02B1D6-CF26-4277-833B-A1867170802D.jpg

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
To update all, Nibbler has been doing great! We’re happy to see this little dude continue to fight!

He’s finished his 14 day cycle of Sulfatrim this past Saturday, but has been prescribed a small dosage of long term Metacam for his arthritis (we give him roughly .1ml of the suggested .14ml daily amount). We took him for follow up x-rays and there has been positive improvements in all categories: lungs and gas. The lungs aren’t 100% clear but it’s been said that what we see on the X-rays may be due to lung scarring from previous URIs or infections, especially since he hasn’t shown any obvious symptoms during the 14 day cycle.

We’re working to give him hand and gentle vibrating massages daily to help break up his gas bubbles as we feel that the bloating was a major cause for his discomfort. The huge gas bubble as seen in his first X-ray on 12/24/21 is no more and we’re thankful to see it has broken down into smaller bubbles which could be more easily passable. The radiology report says that his stomach shows “somewhat more gas than typical”; which is way better than previously, He sometimes feels a little hard on the tummy area but after a good massage he seems to soften up. We actually think we caught him farting on camera recently! Lol!

We would like to try to find a vegetable for him that is easy on the stomach to introduce to his diet but he may no longer get bell peppers and romaine lettuce. Anybody have any suggestions on veggies that might reduce gas, or less likely to cause or exacerbate stomach gasses?

Anyways, I’ve posted updated X-rays and details for anybody interested. ✌️

Attachments

E1DA63DD-3804-45A1-87FE-C2237ADFD30B.jpg 5E4ABF60-5453-424D-B9DA-40B521586CC6.jpg F3FB0E4D-C890-451F-939C-E292B4331F77.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Glad to hear he is doing better! Those definitely look like he's feeling better and is more comfortable.

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone!
We’re back with another health situation with Old Man Nibbler (6.5yrs). We’re not sure what it is, but he wasn’t/acting himself during the latter half of today so we’re going to be monitoring him.

From afternoon to now, it’s the same story - uninterested in hay and pretty mopey. He is however, jumping to the gate for his digestive treat though and isn’t puffy - which I suppose is a good sign; but we don’t think he’s eating much on his own.

At 7PM he weighed at 957g, and at 11PM 946g. He has been feeling lighter as of late, but I would say he ranges between 1025-1070g. His poops, even as of a few minutes ago were pretty standard size. I hadn’t seen him eat hay since roughly 4PM so we just decided to give him 5cc of CC – just in case. He also is taking his daily dose of Metacam nightly as well.

Now our cause for speculation:
• We think there appears to be more lice on him, and he seems itchier than usual. Could this be a cause for a decrease in appetite and activity? He did have floor time on Tuesday and was very active, playful, and curious.
• He has been prone to getting URIs in the past, so we’re considering this possibility as well. The temps range from 74-79, with humidity between 40-60%. We also have an air purifier on high in their room.
• He is also prone to having excessive gas, but he doesn’t feel bloated. He’s been pretty good on the gas side since his last medical visit.

We’ll be calling the vet tomorrow morning to schedule him for a check-up and to take some tests, but there’s a possibility he won’t be seen tomorrow. We’re in NYC and the vet reduced their hours recently. In the event that he digresses overnight and the vet isn’t open yet, can we give him the Sulfatrim previously prescribed from January 2022? We had it stored away in our kitchen cabinet since.

I plan on waking at 5am to check-in, and offer syringe feeding.

Thanks again for listening!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Lice can definitely cause problems of many kinds. I'd get some ivermectin and treat him.

It's also useless to weigh four hours apart unless you've got a very sick pig who's rapidly losing weight. You're weighing some unknown quantity of food, poop and pee, and forty grams can easily be accounted for with those things. Weigh once a day, in the morning before breakfast, and you'll get the most consistent guinea pig non-food weight.

It's also completely normal for senior pigs to lose weight, plateau for a while, lose more weight, plateau again, rinse and repeat. As long as he's eating/drinking/peeing/pooping and not showing any specific signs of illness, I wouldn't worry too much about him.

You could add a multi-vitamin to his diet, but don't give it as often as the manufacturer recommends. There are fat-soluble vitamins in multi-vitamin preparations, and you don't want to overdo those. I used to give my senior pigs, one half the recommended dose every third day.

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the suggestions bpatters.
We took him to the vet yesterday but as always, he puts up a front and looks good there! Sneaky pig.

We got the X-rays back and radiology reports. Reading shows he may have early signs or dealing with mild/recurrent pneumonia, mild gas, osteoarthritis, and a skin mass at his left elbow (this is a new one for us).

We started him on Sulfatrim at .57ml 2x a day. He’s continuing his .14ml of Metacam nightly as well.

We also were given Revolution (Selemectin) 15mg for small puppies and kittens to treat the lice. We haven’t started this yet but we might act on it soon. We’re in the process of getting new sheets and mats for them but afraid we may overwhelm him with medications.

Should we wait or treat him for the lice as well now?

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
X-ray and radiology reports:

Attachments

7749E5C6-EBCA-4E3B-8F6C-41A95A11C4B3.jpeg F156FB25-63D5-48FC-83C4-CC10C9827BB9.jpeg D53B61F2-8E78-4B9D-BBC6-B20C3136C4FE.png

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd treat him for the lice now.

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
We’re prepping to purchase and wash some new bedding before we start the treatment, and looking to start between today/tomorrow.

He looks to be a steady 870g the last couple of days, getting a combo of syringe feed and his own efforts. We stopped giving the SPS hay, and switched back to Oxbow Hay Blend 2 days ago but he seems to be a lot more receptive to it.

I attached a photo of his poops as of a few minutes ago. They are a little thinner than normal and not completely pill like in shape - but I suppose a big improvement in length. He’s had on/off poops with some crumbly top layers, I guess could be partial diarrhea if that makes sense? I attached a photo of that one as well.

Can anyone please tell me what these poops mean?

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
Attached.

Attachments

EB8E242C-4C9D-4E02-9CB3-5873C4D7281B.jpeg F1D4858E-8421-49A3-9371-22758E994451.jpeg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nothing much. Poop is largely a function of what they're eating and drinking. Dry, crumbly poop means dehydration. But loose and runny stools are signs of digestive upsets. Those are pretty well formed, and I wouldn't worry about them myself.

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
To update all, his weight is slipping a bit, and is now down to 860g as of this morning. We’re going to up the CC intake, and start the lice treatment today.

This is a tough one to crack. I’m really looking over the side images of the x-ray and I’m seeing the blur in the lungs a little more clearly. Also, we are noticing the cyst/lump at his front left elbow more clearly now that it was brought to our attention

The vet said if there is no improvement, we may switch antibiotics to something a little stronger. Tomorrow will be a full week on Sulfatrim (he’s taken Sulfatrim the past 3 illnesses) - perhaps it is time to switch that up too.

Does anyone here have any experience reading X-rays, or have other opinions?
I’m going to be reaching out to the vet now.

UPDATE: Spoke to the vet, he’s going to prescribe liquid Baytril (antibiotics) and Reglan (for GI Stasis/gut motility). I’m not sure the dosages but will pick them up tonight.

Last edited:

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
Just picked up the liquid syrup-like Baytril (40mg) at .2ml 2x a day, along with Reglan/Metoclopramide (1mg) at .55ml 2x a day.

Baytril is the thing that scares me and I’m nervous to start it tonight as I won’t know how he’ll react to it overnight. I’ve read some Guinea pigs cannot tolerate it. The concentration of 40mg seems high to me; but the .2ml seems on par for his weight now. Am I misunderstanding the dosage?

I guess the plan is to give the Reglan first, then maybe 15-30 mins later Baytril. Should I give it back to back? Or vice-versa?

Thanks again.,

Your fellow overly nervous piggy parent

Last edited:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If I'm correct, it's 40mg/ml. He's getting .2ml, so roughly 8mg. Personally I would give the meds about an hour or two apart, but that's just me. Someone more knowledgeable than I can probably tell you if that's correct, and what order it should be given in. And I would definitely give him something to eat before the Baytril, so it can go through his gut with food and lessen the impact. Do you have a probiotic to give him? A probiotic should be given 1-2 hours after any antibiotic to help replace as much good gut bacteria as you can.

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
Hey GuineaPigPapa, I think you’re right. On the label it says 40mg/ml, so at .2ml it’s 8mg. That’s within the range I read about. Phew! Thanks!

We just administered Reglan and gave him 2ml of CC. I swear, he is so much more receptive to my wife’s syringe feeding than me. I’m terrible!

We’ll look to give the Baytril in an hour, along with a few more mls of CC, followed by the BeneBac Pet Gel probiotic. What I’ve done in the past is give .5ml of probiotics about 60-90mins after each antibiotics dose.

I haven’t done much research on Reglan yet, but I assume it doesn’t actually replace or replenish good bacteria like a probiotic so it works differently, am I right?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.