Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newton and Jupiter [Recent Updates]

Newpiter

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! On the 29th of August, it'll be a year since I adopted Newton and Jupiter from a great guinea pig adoption business, "Critter Corral." You might remember me as RockieGuineaPig or something along those lines, but ever since I forgot my password ages ago, I haven't been keeping up to date on here. "Guineapigcages" is an amazing site, and I plan to come here whenever I need help! So I'd like to keep in touch with the guinea pig loving community.

Newton ad Jupiter are still alive and healthy, which is a blessing! Still, I plan to visit a vet soon for a check up, just in case! They're very sweet boys, and, no matter how many times Newton teases little Jupiter, they still get along very well in their, not-so-big, cage. :)

So, without further ado, here are a couple of pictures I've taken them in their recently cleaned cage! Pictures are a bad quality because I only had my Dsi available. :eek: (Newton is the white one and Jupiter is the black one)

HNI_0060.jpg HNI_0033.jpg

They don't seem to mind the pink. :D

Newpiter

Cavy Slave
Woops! A few aren't showing! Here they are. :eek:

HNI_0059.jpgHNI_0038.jpgHNI_0032.jpg

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Hi @Newpiter ! You must be in the Chicago area too since you went to Critter Corral! I had plans to visit them, but ended up adopting my pigs from a dog rescue that also now takes in small animals.

Just an FYI, I recently found a good exotics vet in Lisle called Ness Exotics. Took my Snickers in for a UTI and was pleased with the doc and the place (although not so crazy about the price). Dr. Ness actually has a pet guinea pig, which was a great sign to me!

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
It looks like more people are in the Chicago area than I thought! But Newton and Jupiter are CUTIES! And @CavyChrissy where did you get your piggies from? I can't find a lot of rescues besides critter coral.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I got them from Illinois Doberman Rescue Plus @Beatrice187 . They are based in Barrington, but the lady that fosters guinea pigs is in Schaumburg. It seems they only have about 4-8 guinea pigs at a time. They do list them on Petfinder (which is how I found them) and on their website.

Nilda

Cavy Slave
I'm also from the Chicago area, and I foster for Critter Corral. There are so many pigs looking for homes! They are having a meet and greet this Saturday 11-3 at Pet Supplies Plus in Bolingbrook.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Hi @Newpiter ! You must be in the Chicago area too since you went to Critter Corral! I had plans to visit them, but ended up adopting my pigs from a dog rescue that also now takes in small animals.

Just an FYI, I recently found a good exotics vet in Lisle called Ness Exotics. Took my Snickers in for a UTI and was pleased with the doc and the place (although not so crazy about the price). Dr. Ness actually has a pet guinea pig, which was a great sign to me!

They have a very good reputation but are very expensive. A friend said she got a charge of about $600 for a routine appointment. I use both Animal Medical Clinic and Danada Veterinary Hospital which are both in Wheaton, north of Butterfield Rd. They are pretty close to one another but on opposite sides of Naperville Rd. I also volunteer with Critter Corral by following up with emails. I've been involved with the rescue since 2002, although I don't foster anymore. I do adoptions if someone wants to adopt one of the guinea pigs in my area.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
@pinky my charge was not nearly that - $210 for a check up on both pigs and then a urinalysis and meds for Snickers. Didn't seem outrageous, but just not a fun way to part with two hundred bucks! Thanks for the other recommendations, I may call those next time I'm in need of an appointment.

pinky

Cavy Slave
@pinky my charge was not nearly that - $210 for a check up on both pigs and then a urinalysis and meds for Snickers. Didn't seem outrageous, but just not a fun way to part with two hundred bucks! Thanks for the other recommendations, I may call those next time I'm in need of an appointment.

Don't switch just because of my comment about their charges. Everyone I know who uses them are pleased with them. My vets are close to my house and were recommended by others I know so that's how I started using them. Having confidence in who you see is the most important thing.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
I know a good vet in Lake Zurich her name is Cheryl Roge. She works at the All Creatures animal Hospital, ( I think that's the name!) and she was very sweet. And she would call Domino a piglet which was so sweet! And she knew all about the right diet and everything so I would recommend her :)

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
No worries @pinky, I hear you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.