Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie who has done everything wrong + advice needed on trimming nails

Secretariat

Cavy Slave
Hello my name is Malak and I did what I tell everyone not to do and bought an animal on impulse. I had every intention of going to the pet store and getting a hamster- researched for months talked on forms. But once I saw this cute little guinea pig I couldn't resist I fell in love. Pretty much bought a pet store cage took her out a few times before realizing I needed to do some research asap and now I'm here. I am planning on getting a new cage and a companion for her but I still feel pretty bad that she's going to be lonely. I do have a question though her nails are quite long and need to be trimmed but she's just getting comfortable enough to walk in her cage when I'm in the same room and I don't want to ruin the progress what should I do?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The only way she's going to get used to you, is by being held. The best way to accomplish that, is with bribery in the form of treats. If she needs her nails trimmed that badly, I would perhaps suggest, at least this first time, taking her to a vet. The vet techs can assist in teaching you the proper way to cut her nails. And again, you can soften this experience with yummy treats.

The other thing your girl will need, besides a larger cage, is a friend. Guinea pigs are social animals and do best in at least pairs.

Secretariat

Cavy Slave
The only way she's going to get used to you, is by being held. The best way to accomplish that, is with bribery in the form of treats. If she needs her nails trimmed that badly, I would perhaps suggest, at least this first time, taking her to a vet. The vet techs can assist in teaching you the proper way to cut her nails. And again, you can soften this experience with yummy treats.

The other thing your girl will need, besides a larger cage, is a friend. Guinea pigs are social animals and do best in at least pairs.

I just ordered a new cage which fits the measurements for two pigs, will be here Monday! I'm having a bit of trouble trying to find her a buddy as I do not want to go the pet store route and everyone I have have found so far wanting to rehome their pigs are doing it in pairs (which makes sense). How ever I hope to have another soon! Thanks so much for your advice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You're more than welcome. Everyone here is always here for other pig owners, so if you have any questions or concerns this is a great place to ask them.

Did you happen to order a C&C cage, by chance? I'm just asking because no pet store cage you can buy is ever big enough. Pigs need large, flat spaces to run in, not to mention the more space the better to avoid territorial spats and the like.

Secretariat

Cavy Slave
You're more than welcome. Everyone here is always here for other pig owners, so if you have any questions or concerns this is a great place to ask them.

Did you happen to order a C&C cage, by chance? I'm just asking because no pet store cage you can buy is ever big enough. Pigs need large, flat spaces to run in, not to mention the more space the better to avoid territorial spats and the like.

I really am glad about how eager everyone is to help and no I did not I did get a 47"X 24" cage by Midwest Homes and plan to attack it to the 30x18 that I had originally gotten from the pet shop. I'm not very good with calculating so I do hope it will be the right size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.