Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie - Going to treat my piggies right this time!

This morning I woke up and Leeroy was dead. :( He was laying on the cage floor, and there were a couple crusties on his eyes. Other than that, there didn't seem to be anything wrong with him.

What do I do? I figure I need to wait before getting Chicken a new buddy, just to make sure he's not incubating anything. How long? Is there anything else I can do? He doesn't have any eye crusties or anything else odd, and he isn't as "chill" as Leeroy was. He eats plenty - more than I saw Leeroy eat. Is he probably sick too?

I'm really upset right now.

I am so sorry Ratte -- I can't imagine going through that. If I were you, I would go through the quarantine process with Chicken and wait three weeks or so. Whether he is sick would depend on why Leeroy passed away. I'd imagine there could be internal physical issues that are not contagious that could have affected him, but wouldn't affect Chicken.

But I would quarantine nonetheless.

Cute! I love them! I remember when I got my two girls Aphrodite and Athena. I like the whitish pink one. He looks kinda pink. like light pink hair as if you dyed it. But i know you didn't, I'm just saying. it looks cool

I am so sorry Ratte -- I can't imagine going through that. If I were you, I would go through the quarantine process with Chicken and wait three weeks or so. Whether he is sick would depend on why Leeroy passed away. I'd imagine there could be internal physical issues that are not contagious that could have affected him, but wouldn't affect Chicken.

But I would quarantine nonetheless.

Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure to quarantine.

Cute! I love them! I remember when I got my two girls Aphrodite and Athena. I like the whitish pink one. He looks kinda pink. like light pink hair as if you dyed it. But i know you didn't, I'm just saying. it looks cool

I don't think Chicken looks very pink. I guess it's just the light. He's more of a cream and tan blonde-ish color. It makes me think of one of my friends when she doesn't straighten her hair. lol

Also, if you are able, I would bring Chicken in for a baseline checkup. If he has something like a hidden URI, the vet may be able to pick up on it early. If he's 100% okay, then you'll have a good idea of his weight and behavior and will be better able to tell if something is going wrong down the road.

We detected an illness with our pig Picckalo based on weight loss. He hadn't been showing other symptoms right off.

A vet is a great idea. I am so sorry for your loss.

Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure to quarantine.

I don't think Chicken looks very pink. I guess it's just the light. He's more of a cream and tan blonde-ish color. It makes me think of one of my friends when she doesn't straighten her hair. lol

oh haha!

I'm so sorry - poor Leeroy :(

I don't know what the situation is like in the USA, but I'd definitely go to the next vet who is pig experienced and let Chicken undergo a check-up. Let's do hope that Chicken's allright.

Before you aren't 100% sure you shouldn't get another partner for Chicken!

Have you already talked to the family from whom you got the piggies? Are their remaining piggies allright?

Awh Leeroy :'(
Being the condition the other guinea pigs were in at your friend's house he may have been suffering from severe neglect with them.

*goes back and checks photos* Hold da phone! I think I see shavings in there. What bedding was used? There is a bedding that is very dangerous to rodents.

They both are adorable! For some reason the one without a name seems like a Stuart to me! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.