Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites New Pig Is Here!

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
and she brought lots of lovely wriggling friends too! Gotta love lice!
Will Ivermection adequately rid her of the lice? I'm not sure if I've ever heard it mentioned here in regards to lice.
If so..can anyone give me any tips on how to use it? I've never had to use it before! I'm sure GuineaLynx has plenty of info..but real life tips are great!
*She is of course in her quarantine cage, as far away from the resident girls as possible. There will be plenty of hand washing also!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Topical ivermectin should kill lice, yes.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
I used the search function for you:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/medical-veterinary/42163-applying-dilluted-ivermectin.html

https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html "Applied topically, ivermectin may be an effective control of the biting lice, gliricola porcelli (the slender guinea pig louse) and the less common gyropus ovalis (the oval guinea pig louse)."

https://www.guinealynx.info/lice.html "Treatment:Advantage (imidacloprid) is apparently a very safe and effective treatment for cavy lice. Treat by weight and apply topically at 10 mg/pound of body weight (the concentration is 91 mgs/ml, or about 0.1cc/pound [0.24cc/kg])."

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...974-where-get-scale-ivermectin-questions.html

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2488

Africa

Cavy Slave
Hey paula,
When I took my boys to the vet here (to check if lice or fungus) they said the topical Ivermectin doesnt work so well if the infestation is high. (the exotics vet at K-State said this)
They seem to believe that Revolution is a better option for topical treatments

Africa

Cavy Slave
Oh, sorry! ha ha, I called you Paula, I was reading paula's post and meant to say Hi Laura!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Topical Ivermectin or Advantage will get rid of lice.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Revolution is probably a better treatment, simply because you only have to do it once a month instead of once a week for 3-4 (or more) applications. But topical ivermectin will work. I've used it to successfully get rid of lice several times. In all cases, though, they were not severe infestations.

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
Oh, sorry! ha ha, I called you Paula, I was reading paula's post and meant to say Hi Laura!
I don't mind at all! I love the name Paula! My son's name is Paul(minus the A) :D
I'm not really sure what would be considered a severe infestation. I do know that this poor girl has never seen a vet or meds in her life (approx. a year and a half) so she has likely had lice since the day she was born. I would guess she's probably pretty badly infested.
I'm thinking I will probably use Revolution for the new girl. Also, just to be as safe as possible I will treat the other girls with Ivermectin(including the two I'm expecting Sunday. I think I've bitten off pretty big mouthful adopting three at once) They don't have lice, but I would rather be safe than sorry in the long run. Would that be OK?
How many treatments with the Revolution will she need to be clean? Is this something I can do for her at home, or will her vet need to do it?

gooberific

Cavy Slave
Revolution is usually once per month for 3-4 months. I used it for 3 months to treat all 3 of my pigs for mites at the beginning of the year. It requires a Vet prescription, but you can do it at home.

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
Deborah had her check up today! I was concerned that she was too thin, but she weighed 2 pounds even! Surprisingly healthy all over! She also got a dose of Revolution while we were there. The vet said she wasn't as badly infested as I had thought.
Will the Revolution kill the lice in time for her 3 week quarantine to be over? Or do you think I will have to extend it longer? Should I get her a second dose in a few weeks just to be sure? (I completely forgot to ask these questions at the vet..and now they're closed til Monday!)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.