Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Need Help With Coroplast Size!

Cativision

Cavy Slave
Once I clean my room, I will be adopting a few cage mates for my lone sow Saige, so they will all need a bigger cage if they need to get away from each other and have enough room to scamper around. A pack of grids on Amazon has 23 grids in it,which is enough to build a 3x6 C&C. It's big enough to accumulate all pigs,as well as it's big enough to fit against a wall in my room. However,coroplast sheets on Amazon are only 24x36 inches,which obviously means I need a ton of sheets.

Since I am terrible at it,can someone do the math to find how many sheets I need? Here are the details:

-Coroplast sign boards, 24x36 inches
-6 cube storage grid organizer, 23 pack. Grid dimensions: 14x14x.175 inches

Can anyone calculate how many sheets of coroplast I need? Or a larger alternative to coroplast sheets?

Thanks in advance!

mci1986

Cavy Slave
If you can find a local sign shop they will probably sell you a 4 foot x 8 foot sheet of coroplast for cheap - they use it as raw materials. Just be sure that you tell them that you are using it for a guinea pig cage. Otherwise they may think you are a competitor.

As for the size you will need to add 6 inches to each side for the wall, or a total of 12 inches to the width and length of the coroplast sheet(s). At 3x6 grids (very very large cage, 24 sq ft!) you will have floor dimensions of 42"x84". Adding in the walls you will have total coroplast dimensions of 54"x96", or 4.5 ft x 8 ft. This will require two sheets from a sign shop, on an absurd amount of the amazon sheets. If you make the cage a 2.5 grid X 6 grid the required coroplast dimensions are 47" x 96", or roughly 4 ft x 8 ft. The 2.5x6 grid cage is still a 20 sq.ft floor area cage which will still be huge.

If you post what city/state that you are in/near I'm sure that someone on the forum will know of a nearby sign shop that will sell coroplast.

Cativision

Cavy Slave
Thank you,I searched it up and found a sign shop close by. I may down size it, to fit in my room comfortably. At first when I read this,I was just like ??? But now I understand. I'm not at all good at math,so I really appreciate you taking the time to figure everything out. And wow, 24 square feet?? I did not expect it to be that large! I'm trying to utilize all the grids,I may change it to a 2.5x6 and use the remaining grids as a loft for my other pig's cage.

mci1986

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I have a 2x6 cage myself. It is large enough for *me* to lay down in it. Granted I'm a pretty small guy but still.

CoppersMom

Cavy Slave
@Cativision I used these sheets from Home Depot: goo.gl/1RQMaF They come in 46 in. x 96 in. coroplast sheets. I ended up using about one and half of these to build my 3x6 C&C. When you build yours can I see? :) This was my first time building a C&C to save on cost and it turned out better than I thought lol. Good luck!!

Cativision

Cavy Slave
@CoppersMom That's perfect! I am a mess when going to stores I never been to,this solves my problem a lot. By the way,since you have a 3x6,what do you use to line it as bedding? Since it is a lot of space,it is really hard to find fleece flippers and pieces of fleece that size. I was thinking about filling it with aspen bedding for a more natural look,but I don't want to spend a lot of money on buying another bag of bedding,so fleece is a cheaper alternative.

lissie

Cavy Slave
@CoppersMom That's perfect! I am a mess when going to stores I never been to,this solves my problem a lot. By the way,since you have a 3x6,what do you use to line it as bedding? Since it is a lot of space,it is really hard to find fleece flippers and pieces of fleece that size. I was thinking about filling it with aspen bedding for a more natural look,but I don't want to spend a lot of money on buying another bag of bedding,so fleece is a cheaper alternative.
You can buy fleece by the yard. Most come in 60" width. 2 and a half yards will be large enough for a 3x6 cage. Watch JoAnn for Black Friday sales.

CoppersMom

Cavy Slave
@Cativision I actually use wood pellets and fleece! It is the most cost effective for my C&C. I will tag you in the Forum I stated a few days ago when I changed out my fleece! The wood pellets come in bags of 40lbs each so I bought two 40lb bags for $9 total! I also did what @lissie suggested and bought a big piece of fleece from joanns fabric store during their sale and it came out to be around $19 for that large piece which I ended up having enough to cover the sides of the cage and make a cute lap blanket for the piggies!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.