Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Covers Need a lid; have questions

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! My family recently adopted a third dog, and while our first two pooches are relaxed and ignore the pigs, the new dog is very interested in my boys, to the point that my door is closed 24/7. I want to add a lid, in case I ever forget to close my door. The cage is 2x4 with a 1x2 loft.
I'd appreciate ideas as to what materials I should use, and how to make the lid. (I may end up buying one from the cages store, but with shipping the final total is much higher than what I'd spend if I DIY-ed the lid.)

Thank you!

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
(Sorry, I'm no longer able to edit my post, but...) How could one build a lid out of grids? My local Home Depot has closet shelving, but I don't want to cut through the metal.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Closet shelving works way better than grids for a lid.

What's wrong with cutting through the metal? In the aisle where they sell the shelving, they'll have metal cutters that you can use to cut it to the right length, and they'll also have little rubber caps you can glue on to the ends so there are no rough places.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
Closet shelving works way better than grids for a lid.

What's wrong with cutting through the metal? In the aisle where they sell the shelving, they'll have metal cutters that you can use to cut it to the right length, and they'll also have little rubber caps you can glue on to the ends so there are no rough places.
Alright, thank you for the info! I'll check in my garage and see if I already have a metal cutter. Is there a thread that shows how to assemble a closet shelving lid?

tzarius78

Cavy Slave
If you use a grid you will have to bend the wire. Just make sure you don't do it on the same sides as the seam. (where they bonded the wire)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's no assembly to it. You just put the shelving across the cage and attach it with key rings/carabiners/zip ties/whatever.

If the cage is wide enough to need two lengths of shelving, just attach one to the other.

Or do what I do, and just lay the shelving across the top of the cage. I don't have any animals/kids that need to be kept out of the cage, and no males trying to get to females.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
There's no assembly to it. You just put the shelving across the cage and attach it with key rings/carabiners/zip ties/whatever.

If the cage is wide enough to need two lengths of shelving, just attach one to the other.

Or do what I do, and just lay the shelving across the top of the cage. I don't have any animals/kids that need to be kept out of the cage, and no males trying to get to females.

If you use a grid you will have to bend the wire. Just make sure you don't do it on the same sides as the seam. (where they bonded the wire)
Thank you both for your input! I ended up buying a lid from the cages store.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.