Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Names

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I answer the name question the the closed relgion thread yes my screen name if from the Garth Nix book Sabriel. It is also ironically an angels name. I think that's where he got alot of his book names. Funny for a book on necromancy and magic eh?

My full screenname is usually Sabriel MoonStar, the MoonStar being my own little invention. It came from my old screen name Sailor MoonStar. but I wanted a screen name sounded a bit more mature. I also didn't think many people would get the connection, but Nix is much more popular than when I started reading his books 7 years ago. Then again, it help that they published "adult" versions like they did with Harry Potter so adults would know it's OK to read them. :p I didn't care. I still bought the children's edition covers that I know and love.

I wish I was more like Sabriel. But I tend to be more of a recluse like Lirael. I hope he writes more books in the series. He did leave the last book a little open to another. I mean, who does Lirael fall in love with anyway?

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
That's awesome! Thanks so much for answering my question.
Funny for a book on necromancy and magic eh?
Yes! It is.

usually Sabriel MoonStar, the MoonStar being my own little invention. It came from my old screen name Sailor MoonStar
Sailor MoonStar as in Sailor Moon?

I wish I was more like Sabriel. But I tend to be more of a recluse like Lirael.
I know, I'm exactly the same way! It's funny, she is such a wonderful character, it makes you want to be like her! I haven't read Lirael yet, just checked it out of the Library though. Which do you prefer, Sabriel or Lirael? I can't wait till I finish Lirael, it sounds so exciting.
I have just started reading his books, and I LOVE them! He is such a great author, I love how Touchstone came back to life by Sabriel, it's humorous in its own way actually. Isn't Touchstone a "k" (don't want to spoil it for anyone), that's what one of my friends told me (he spoiled it.). I can't wait to read Lirael, is there more after Lirael? A continuation?

Thanks so much for replying, I saw the screen name and I was like "I just got done reading that book!". Awesome SN, love it BTW! :)

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
It was established that Touchstone was a "K" in Sabriel. There is one more book after Lirael called Abhorsen. I hope he writes more. The end leaves it a little open to a fourth book kinda like Sabriel left it open to to Lirael.

Your lucky. I hate to say when I was your age, but when I was your age I had to wait 3 years between reading Sabriel and the release (and library purchase) of Lirael. Luckily my best friend worked at the library and pulled some strings to get it ordered. Then I had to wait till last year for Abhorsen to be released as a paperback. And people think waiting 2 years for the Harry Potter books is tough. At least with Harry Potter you know when the books are going to be released and you know they will be released.

I'll stop ranting and feeling old now. Have fun reading Lirael. I didn't enjoy it as much as Sabriel only because it reminded me more of me. I liked thinking I was more like Sabriel :)

Oh, and yeah Sailor MoonStar as in Sailor Moon. I'm a *BIG* Sailor Moon fan. I have the first 4 seasons on DVD (I only watch the Subbed Japanese version of course. Purist I am) and I'm burning the 5th season on VCD since I can't buy it over here. But when the Japanese DVD's are released in a year or so I'm going to order them so I have legal pretty DVD copies (even though I need a quasi-illegal player to view them) That's going to be expesive though at 5000 yen or $50 US a pop plus shipping :( Ah such is the life of an Otaku ;)

Here's a fun website. It's the official Garth Nix/ Haper Collins web site. It has pretty Old Kingdon Series wallpaper.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
The did make a new one! Creature in the case continues after Abhorsen and is a short story and Across the Wall is comming out this summer!! :)

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
I remember now that there was an Abhorsen afterwards, I read it on one site... Forgot. But thanks for reminding me! I'll have to read that too. So Creature in the Case is right after Abhorsen? Yay! I can't wait till I read all the Sabriel continuations, I loved Sabriel so I hope that I'll love the continuations just as much.

Oh, and yeah Sailor MoonStar as in Sailor Moon. I'm a *BIG* Sailor Moon fan. I have the first 4 seasons on DVD (I only watch the Subbed Japanese version of course. Purist I am) and I'm burning the 5th season on VCD since I can't buy it over here. But when the Japanese DVD's are released in a year or so I'm going to order them so I have legal pretty DVD copies
Finally! A person who is a *BIG* Sailor Moon fan such as I!! The only people who are as much as absorbed and obsessed with Sailor Moon are my sisters.. But now there's one more! XD
OMG! I wish I had all of those as you have! We just have mixtures of the episodes, a few seasons, and all of the movies (Black Dream Hole, ect..). We used to burn the episodes all the time, and we still watch them *from years ago*. I need to buy all of the seasons! The only anime/manga that I am as obsessed with as SM is Demon Eyes Kyo and Kodocha. Have you heard of them? I knkow DEK is out in animation, but I don't know if Kodocha is in the US yet. Is it in Canada, do you know?
Have you read any of the SM manga? My sisters say that they are really good
(Haven't read them yet, shame on me, being a devoted fan since I was about 8-9), and so do friends.

I'm planning on reading a lot more of Garth Nix's books, because after reading Sabriel I've kind of become stuck. How many other books does he have besidse the Sabriel continuations (series?)?

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
He has alot of books from baby books to others like Sabriel. I heard the Keys to the Kingdom series is good.

Right now I'm watching alot of Ranma since my husband is a big Ranma 1/2 fan and I've been too ill to watch subtitles properly. After that I want to watch Card Captor Sakura since that's where my piggies' names come from.

I would get all the Sailor Moon you can ASAP. It's going out of print. Seasons 1&2 are already out of print and 3&4 & the movie are going out this year. Season 5 was nerver released. Neither was the live action TV series (I have my bootlegs though ;) They all fit in the the box I got for the Special I ordered from Japan :) Though if I order the other special I have a big empty box:( Not like I preordered anyway so I doubt I would get the box )

I have half of the manga in Japanese and a couple in English (other people bought them for me) I'm studying Japanese right now. I just graduated from the first level. I can read some of the street signs in the background in anime. Woot.

If you get the SM manga in Japanese get the reprint edition. They are only a dollar extra and they are bigger so instead of 18 volumes it becoame 12. I hope TokyoPop redoes the manga properly. NO flipping of the pages and proper names, translation and such.

I forgot in my list to mention I have the whole SM live action series (except the special that just came out. Have to DL that.) on DVD/VCD and the movie box set.

I haven't heard much about Deamon Eyes Kyo or Kodocha. I've been sticking to SM. R1/2, Air, CCS, Inu Yasha and Peach Girl. They just came out with a Peach Girl anime. :)

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
I love Ranma 1/2, Card Captor Sakura, and InuYasha! Peach Girl is halarious, I'm just getting into it. Don't you love the plot to Ranma 1/2? LOL. I just got into InuYasha a couple months ago.. My sister has a whole wall full of just Inu, and has a couple Peach Girl manga. My sister has almost the entire manga series of Sailor Moon, so I can always get them from her. :) Wow, CCS, haven't watched / read it in a while, but I still love it. I have to start watching the anime again... almost done with the manga series, I know that much.
My sister somehow is going to get Sailor Stars from Japan, but I don't really know how. Do you know if people can get it off of the internet?
Is the Peach Girl anime funny? The manga's crack me up, I really like them. My sister wants to get the anime, maybe I'll finally convince her..

What's Air? Haven't heard of that manga. What's it about?

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Peach girl is availible by fansub online as it was just released in Japan. Air is an anime/dating sim game. I've only watched one episode but it's cute.

You sure your sister isn't just getting fansubbed copies online? The Stars dvds aren't out yet and unless you track down a region 2 player you can't watch them. It's very pricey to watch anime from Japan. I couldn't afford that in high school. I had to wait till after college to have anough money to contemplate starting to collect anime DVDs from Japan. Manga on the other hand is very easy to collect in it's original form. Just remember that 100 yen = 1 USD and that some anime DVD's in Japan come with only 1 or 2 episodes (like AIR). It looks like Sailor Moon will have an average of 5 eps per disc and the latest release date I can get is SuperS 4 on 2005/06/21. That would make SuperS about 8 or 9 volumes so Stars isn't available for awile unless you have a laser disc player and really good contacts in Japan (but if you do share the wealth :) )

Another thing to note is that anime DVD's from Japan don't have subtitles so you either A) have to learn Japanese (best done with a teacher. I tried on my own for years) B) Have a transcript to read from (also works with manga) or C) Just don't have a clue what they are saying :) another option is to have a fansub copy and the original. That's what I did with the PGSM special act. I watch the fansub if I want to understand what is going on and I watch the original to help me with my Japanese.

A good place for Sailor Stars fansubs are VKLL. They have them on dvd. Do a google search on "VKLL" and it should bring up the website.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.