Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick My guinea pig (Jeb) is loosing weight but still eating normal

guineapigfinn

Cavy Gazer
what is the best hay for them?

wombats

Cavy Slave
Any GRASS based hay is good--orchard grass, blue grass, timothy hay, etc. Grass hay is typically green in color, and very fragrant. Timothy is one of the most common and can be found in pet stores, and if you leave in/near rural/country areas you can often find farms that sell hay by the bale. They are typically meant for livestock and horses, so you're almost certain to find some grass hay. I know that horses and donkeys need grass hay like guinea pigs do, so if you know of one near you, that's an option. Only trouble is that a bale is A LOT of hay...it's a lot cheaper than getting it from a pet store, but it's difficult if you don't have the space and I fear it might be difficult convincing parents/guardian to allow a huge bale for two guinea pigs.

Also, alfalfa is a legume and not suitable for adults (too much calcium), so make sure you don't get that. It's suitable for guinea pigs under 6 months, but it can cause stones in adults. And I may be wrong but isn't yellow hay dried wheat or grain? And if it's straw, that's very different from hay--good hay is soft and plaible while straw is coarse and tough.

(And I understand. You are trying your best, but you really need to talk to your parents about this, for your pig's sake. Hay is ridiculously important to their health--not only diet-wise, but it keeps their teeth ground down and helps with digestion. Also for daily vegetables spinach every day is not the best for them, but every few days is fine. A baby carrot per pig per day is fine, but not more than that as they have too much sugar in large amounts and they can't digest sugar very well. Lettuce (red/green/butter/romaine, but not iceberg) is another great vegetable, as is green/yellow bell pepper.)

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
You can have your parents order timothy hay from this sight, it's 40 for 10 pounds of hay and high quality pellets, they can even have it automatically delivered, this would save your parents the most money in the long run:

(broken link removed)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, @Bacon4EverEver, that's one of the more expensive ways to get hay. The more you buy online, the cheaper per pound it is. I get 45 pounds of hay from KMS, Small Pet Select, or American Pet Diner for about $45-$55, and it lasts my two pigs for six months or more. Ten pounds doesn't go very far here.

wombats

Cavy Slave
Ditto. The more you buy the more you save, but if you're still worried about the cost, here's a suggestion. On smallpetselect, there's a coupon that still works for $10 off all hay and pellets (just type "freshhay" into the checkout). And any hay/pellets you order (should you choose to do so) is $10 off with the "freshhay".

Now, smallpetselect sells three kinds of hay--alfalfa (not good for adult pigs), timothy (fantastic grass hay), and orchard grass (another good hay). The orchard grass is a bit cheaper than the timothy ($30 for 10 lbs), at $25 for 10 lbs (only $15 with that coupon!) and probably just as nice. I feed mine orchard grass from a local distributor, and if it's quality, its a great hay. I hear good things about smallpetselect, so I imagine it's just as good. And you mentioned the pet store hay was $12? I find that a little hard to believe, but I do know some bags can come close to $10 while only giving you like 5 lbs max. So, considering 10 lbs would last them about a month (maybe, depends on your pigs) and is only $10 or so more....why NOT get it?*

(Of course, if you can, get more than that, or get the timothy. I only suggest this because depending on your parents attitude, they may disagree that they need hay, but if it's only $15 they might just agree. Also, if you are looking for pellets, get a 5 lb bag of oxbow [from pet stores]...it lasts a lot longer than you may think, aa they only need 1/8 a cup per pig per day, and it goes a long way in keeping them healthy.)

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Actually, @Bacon4EverEver, that's one of the more expensive ways to get hay. The more you buy online, the cheaper per pound it is. I get 45 pounds of hay from KMS, Small Pet Select, or American Pet Diner for about $45-$55, and it lasts my two pigs for six months or more. Ten pounds doesn't go very far here.

With 7 pigs now, I will need to pay that every 2 or 3 months LOL!

I feel like its still cheaper than pet store hay. And it's 15% off.

Do you think i would be good with 10 pounds of Hay and 5 pounds of pellets per month for 7 pigs?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, I don't. I think that's too many pellets and not enough hay. My two pigs go through 6-8 pounds of hay a month.

guineapigfinn

Cavy Gazer
With 7 pigs now, I will need to pay that every 2 or 3 months LOL!

I feel like its still cheaper than pet store hay. And it's 15% off.

Do you think i would be good with 10 pounds of Hay and 5 pounds of pellets per month for 7 pigs?

Thanks!!!!!!!

guineapigfinn

Cavy Gazer
Thank you everyone! I will take anymore suggestions, and try to convene my parents to to all of you suggestions so far,Thanks again!!!

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
No, I don't. I think that's too many pellets and not enough hay. My two pigs go through 6-8 pounds of hay a month.

How do you suggest I order?

I have been getting my hay from a mom and pop pet store its 20 dollars for a large bag (not sure how many pounds, it may be 10) they go through the bag in a little over a month.

Right now they are just babies (born today) I am keeping them I just want to make sure I have enough food for them :)

pigger123

Cavy Slave
One adult guinea pig eats about 3-4 pounds of hay and 1 pound of pellets per month (if you give them each 1/8 cup per day). With 7 adults, you should expect to go through at least 25 pounds of hay and 7 pounds of pellets per month. Young pigs will eat more pellets. @Bacon4EverEver

lissie

Cavy Slave

lissie

Cavy Slave
It depends on wht kind of Hay it is, if it's orchard hay, or any type of hay that has high calcium, it's not goood for your guinea pigs.

Orchard hay is fine to feed. It doesn't have high calcium.
It's alfalfa that shouldn't be fed to adult pigs.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
One adult guinea pig eats about 3-4 pounds of hay and 1 pound of pellets per month (if you give them each 1/8 cup per day). With 7 adults, you should expect to go through at least 25 pounds of hay and 7 pounds of pellets per month. Young pigs will eat more pellets. @Bacon4EverEver

Do you have suggestions for which site i should get it from or should I stick to small pet select?

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Do you have suggestions for which site i should get it from or should I stick to small pet select?

I just do whatever's cheapest for the hay, but I always get KMS pellets because my pigs are prone to bladder sludge. Don't order more pellets than the amount they'll eat in 6 months since the nutrients can start to deteriorate after that point.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I just do whatever's cheapest for the hay, but I always get KMS pellets because my pigs are prone to bladder sludge. Don't order more pellets than the amount they'll eat in 6 months since the nutrients can start to deteriorate after that point.

Awesome! Thank you so Much!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.