Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast My fear of cutting Coroplast...

mama_

Cavy Slave
So I plan on purchasing a 4' x 8' sheet of Coroplast this weekend and beginning the nightmare (or maybe not) of cutting it to fit. My biggest fear is that I will mismeasure somehow and Coroplast isn't exactly the easiest thing to re-do. I'm afraid it will turn into a big, messy, taped together thing rather than a smooth, 1 attempt masterpiece. Any suggestions?

My cage is a 2x4 with a 2x1 loft; I plan on having 6 inch sides. If someone has the same size you'd be an angel if you could measure the Coroplast for me so I know the exact size to cut. I don't want it to be too big but I also need enough space to put a fleece liner that would wrap over the edges. Help?

mama_

Cavy Slave
Thanks! This helps a lot. I never thought of a hot glue gun - genius! My cage is put together with connectors as well...sounds like we have very similar cages. When people tape, they leave extra to fold over - do you do the same and glue the pieces on top of each other or do you cut it so the corners meet up exactly and glue gun between the two edges? I don't HAVE TO build it this weekend I'm just planning on purchasing the Coroplast this weekend. I have no rush because I've promised not to adopt until my cage is absolutely ready...the only rush is my impatience and excitedness about getting some piggies.

I have a box cutter with a retractable razor blade. Would this be equivalent to the coro claw or should I really splurge and get that tool?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Just my 2 cents, I think the overlapped pieces on the outside will make the cage cleaning much easier, since all the insides will be smooth.

Edit to add:
The How to Make a C&C Cage page also shows the flaps outside.

cage5.jpg

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
Spy9Doc, I really love your cage. Just had to mention it, because the color and themes look amazing! :)

mama_

Cavy Slave
Your cage looks amazing. Did you build the ramp yourself or purchase it?

mama_

Cavy Slave
I'd like to make a ramp but I feel like, no matter what, it won't be a sturdy as the one on the guineapigcagesstore website. I'll probably wind up buying.

mama_

Cavy Slave
I'd just like everyone to know that I successfully cut my Coroplast. I started with the loft section and unfortunately didn't account for the extra space taken up by the edges of the connectors. It fits, but not very nicely....VERY snug fit and that's without my fleece liners in it yet. So I decided to detach the loft and use it as a carrier when I need to take them in another room or place them in it quickly to clean the cage. I'm hoping to reattach it but I may just buy more grids and Coroplast and attempt it again in the future. However, I took note of my mistake and the piece of Coroplast for my 2x4 base came out PERFECTLY. Very proud of myself. It was a little difficult, especially when you're cutting in the same direction as the flutes of the Coroplast go because it's so much easier to slip up and/or go too fast. But it all worked out. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.