Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My chronic illness and surrendering

MicaylaRuby

Cavy Slave
So I've been on the forum many times. And over the past year I've been blessed with my four amazing fur babies. But still over the past year my health has been declining quickly. Even faster the past few months. It has gotten so bad I now require a service dog to help me get through attacks during the day.
Over the past few months I slowley lost my ability to care for my guinea pigs. And I have so much guilt and sadness to say I've made the decision to rehome them. I have friends over at a guinea pig specific rescue who find amazing homes for their animals.
It hurts so much knowing there is nothing you can do to help. I know I've made the right decision, they can get so much better care somewhere else. But it hurts like hell either way. Part of my illness makes it so this hurts me even more than someone else as my brain chemistry makes so little dopamine and serotonin.
I'm just not sure how to cope. When I was very young my mom had to rehome a dog and we both cried so much. I just can't remember how I felt with it. I was looking on the internet to see if anyone else was in the same position as me. But I found nothing. And that makes it even harder.
I just don't know. Im so lost and upset.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so very sorry to hear about your predicament. Pain of loss is never easy to get over, whether its due to death or any other circumstances. The why, at least in my opinion, is irrelevant. It hurts just as much just because they're gone. Take some solace in knowing that you did exactly what was best for those furbabies and that they will go on to have wonderful, fulfilling lives because of your kindness and generosity and willingness to let them go. It hurts terribly to lose them, I know. Try to think of them in happier times and try to think how good its going to be for them in the future because of your sacrifice. I know nothing I say can ease the pain, but know that you did what THEY needed, not what you WANTED.

MicaylaRuby

Cavy Slave
I'm so very sorry to hear about your predicament. Pain of loss is never easy to get over, whether its due to death or any other circumstances. The why, at least in my opinion, is irrelevant. It hurts just as much just because they're gone. Take some solace in knowing that you did exactly what was best for those furbabies and that they will go on to have wonderful, fulfilling lives because of your kindness and generosity and willingness to let them go. It hurts terribly to lose them, I know. Try to think of them in happier times and try to think how good its going to be for them in the future because of your sacrifice. I know nothing I say can ease the pain, but know that you did what THEY needed, not what you WANTED.
Thank you so much. It helps knowing. I'm proud of myself for recognizing the problem. Its just, oh my god I dunno. I don't know how to deal with it. I've never truly experienced this. I've gone through grief after family has passed but for me, PTSD makes me almost forget parts of memories entirely, making it hard for me to remember what I did after the traumatic event.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
When I lost my best friend Pooper a couple months ago, I was lost. To this day, it brings me to tears daily. More than once. The pain of losing him is real and physical and I also haven't found a way yet to cope with it. Remembering the way he was, special memories and videos, cherished photos and other memories help but can't, and don't erase the pain.

I just want you to know that your special furbabies are going to have great lives. And they're going to because of you. One of the hardest things to do in life is let go of someone or something that you love with all of your heart. They're going to go on and be happy and someone who will love them just as much as you do will have the opportunity to do that because of your courage and understanding and your need to do what was best for them no matter how much it hurt you.

I truly hope everything works out for you and you can overcome these obstacles in your life. It seems to me that you still possess the strength, courage and compassion to do just that. Perhaps one day, you will again find yourself able to care for and love another pair of little furry children.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry to hear your illness has worsened, that by itself is hard enough even without having to rehome your pets :(

That said, you absolutely should be proud of yourself. Most people don't rehome their pets even when they really should, because it's easier for most people to let the animal suffer than it is to admit they can't take care of their pets. Your prioritizing your pigs' needs shows a lot of emotional maturity and caring.

I'm glad you have a rescue that you could trust with your precious piggies, and I absolutely wish you the best going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MicaylaRuby

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry to hear your illness has worsened, that by itself is hard enough even without having to rehome your pets :(

That said, you absolutely should be proud of yourself. Most people don't rehome their pets even when they really should, because it's easier for most people to let the animal suffer than it is to admit they can't take care of their pets. Your prioritizing your pigs' needs shows a lot of emotional maturity and caring.

I'm glad you have a rescue that you could trust with your precious piggies, and I absolutely wish you the best going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That means a lot ''emotional maturity'' is some thing almost no one says to me if they find out about my panic attacks or my.battles with depression and PTSD. As most seem to think one can't be mature in the face of mental illness. Thank you so much 💗

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I think it's very mature to recognize that yes, you have an illness, but you are taking steps toward the best solution for yourself and your pets. I find it shameful that people don't regard mental illnesses the same way they do physical ones.

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
I am truly sorry that you have physically deteriorated as much as you have. I feel some of your pain!!! I don't have permanent PTSD, but did experience it to a degree after 9/11. I used to work in Tower One many years ago while attending college. I also started experiencing panic attacks at the same time. It was one of the worst times in my life. I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through on a daily basis. My depression on the other hand, led me to want to commit suicide on a few different occasions. I am medicated right now, so it's not as bad as it was. You need to take care of you!!! It does break my heart for you that you have to rehome your babies, but you are doing the best thing for them; you are also showing how much you love them by doing this. Don't be so hard on yourself!!! I just wish that other people out there would be as mature as you!!! Too many people out there abuse their animals by not taking care of them properly and that kills me. I will pray that you that you can find peace in your decision and that you also don't get any worse. :love:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.