Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog My 4-5 Month old Guinea Pig had a baby! Very Unexpected...Need Help!

Blog entry from old forum

kwright

Cavy Slave
This past weekend, my guinea pig, named Sandy had her first baby. i got her a little over two months ago and she just had a baby boy. I was very suprised, and i did not know she was even pregnant. I now have no idea what to do. I have all female guinea pigs. I dont have any space for the baby male. He is very cute, and i would love to keep him, but i cant. The pet store has a no return policy, and i dont want to return, but should i ask them about how this came about and see what they will do?

ALSO, Sandy is housed with one other female guinea pig, her name is Hazel. Should i seperate Hazel from the momma and the abby? She doesnt seem to be harming the little one except for an occational nibble. i have cought the little baby cuddling with both Sandy and Hazel. I know he must be seperated at 3-4 weeks. But in the mean time, any suggestions? I have never had to deal with a new born guinea pig. Help please!

GuineaPigs2013

Cavy Slave
Make sure you don't feed it big food cut up veggies because my 4 day old guinea pig was choking and died and this has happend to a lot of people's guinea pigs

kwright

Cavy Slave
GuineaPigs2013;bt6553 said:
Make sure you don't feed it big food cut up veggies because my 4 day old guinea pig was choking and died and this has happend to a lot of people's guinea pigs

Okay! Thank you for letting me know! i will:D definitely do that!

Shelbz

Cavy Slave
Firstly, I would post this on the main forum as you'll attract far more attention there and get a range of well-informed and knowledgeable advice. I don't know anything substantial about raising pups so I would DEFINITELY post this on one of the subforums here if you want better advice: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/index.php

Pet shop pigs are often pregnant and/or riddled with a range of problems- that's why this site is pro-adoption and pro-rescue. At least you know now that a rescue will be the best option for a healthy, non-pregnant, correctly sexed pig in the future.

gatorgirl

Cavy Slave
If you fall in love with him, you could get him neutered. I've read that a neutered male is actually a nice addition to a female herd. (I know neutering pigs *can* be problematic, but it's done.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.