Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Moving to College!

millsma

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hi all!
I'm moving in to my new apartment in about a month. :) Don't worry, my pigs are cleared to come with me, even with the roommate! We're pretty excited to make the move, but there's some small details yet to be worked out.

For one thing, they have SO much stuff!! I feel like 45% of what I bring with me to school will involve the pig stuff. (Hay, food, FLEECE, floor time stuff, carriers, door fence, hideys, and a HUGE cage) How do you guys store their things? Have you got it pared down to exactly the things you NEED to have, or do you have a billion extras, like me?

For another thing, what about when I come home on the weekends? It's not very easy to move a huge C&C cage back and forth! I have a Midwest Guinea pig Habitat, that I might set up to leave in my room at home for those weekends... but it just BARELY meets the minimum for 2... and I have two boars. Right now I have 15-16 square feet for the two, so I'd feel terrible on weekends when they only have 8 square feet. Should I see about making another C&C?

And one last thing. How do you guys do floor time with your pigs? I'll need to do it in my bedroom at school, so I've never had to deal with having to block off furniture, or keeping carpet safe. Any advice on blocking a guinea pig out from certain places?

Thanks for any advice you might have! And sorry it's so long. :)

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't fret about making another cage. A habitat like the one you are describing will be large enough if you give them ample floor time. But if you want something larger.......

Do you have a playpen? I have a playpen made out of grids and I ziptied them together, leaving the ends open, so it folds up neatly. If you have a playpen like that, you can set it up and use a shower curtain when you are at home for the weekends as Coroplast.

I haven't traveled with Piggies. But I would bring anything I could that I wanted to. And many people here have used a grid playpen like I described.

For floor time, I use the grid playpen. I cover any furniture with it (it is very large) and then let them run the perimeter of the room. So, instead of actual having them cooped up in a pen, I can use the pen to cover furniture if you get what I mean and let them have the room in it's (near) entirety.

A pad of something absorbent at high traffic floor time areas will keep your carpet safe.

Good luck!

Piggypogs

Cavy Slave
If your parents are fine with it i would set up another c and c cage for at home

You can also make storage under your big main cage to keep all of the stuff when your not at home

Kota12

Cavy Slave
You could get rid of anything unnecessary or leave it at home. Maybe even get storage bins and make the cage a stand by putting it on the storage bins. Congrats on going to college!!!

PiBee

Cavy Slave
I agree with @Kota12 - make some storage for your room at school! If you use grids to make shelves it's a little more lenient with what you store, and they're just like shelves!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.