Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Midwest Midwest cage - easy to keep the bottom clean and lasting long?

Frode789

Cavy Slave
So I've looked a bit on cages, and found the midwest cage to be interesting. So far:

Midwest cage can be folded flat, which is nice. And that really shows in terms of shipping costs, as it is a lot cheaper to ship (~55 dollars) then C&C cage. However, as for cons: Canvas bottom? Hard to keep clean? This is what I am most skeptical about. I'd love some opinions on people who have this cage.

(As for C&C cage, best cage type probably, but is heavy and can't be folded, which makes it very expensive to ship (~150 dollars), and finding the materials here has proven to be difficult.)

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
The canvas is much more difficult to clean than a coroplast bottom. It also stinks after a while and the cage isn't sturdy.
Why not make a C&C alternative? You could easily gather the materials from a hardware store. You could replace grids with a dog playpen and coroplast with a waterproof shower curtain. All up it would be cheaper than a midwest.
@Varcoda lives in Norway, maybe she can help out.

Frode789

Cavy Slave
The canvas is much more difficult to clean than a coroplast bottom. It also stinks after a while and the cage isn't sturdy.
Why not make a C&C alternative? You could easily gather the materials from a hardware store. You could replace grids with a dog playpen and coroplast with a waterproof shower curtain. All up it would be cheaper than a midwest.
@Varcoda lives in Norway, maybe she can help out.

Thanks. Yeah I am also looking at alternatives. I just recently saw the midwest one and thought I'd ask to see the opinions on it. :) So far doesn't seem to be worth it then, I sure don't want something that is going to be hard to keep clean.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Check out the alternative cages pictures. Tons of ideas in there! Instead of grids I've seen people use wire shelving.

mamattorney

Cavy Slave
I don't know how long "after a while" is with regards to smell, but I've had a Midwest cage for about 6 months with no issues - smell or otherwise. I don't even do a lot to clean it. Every once in awhile, when the guinea pigs are having extended floor time, I will spray the tarp with vinegar/water, wipe it down and let it air dry. I suppose you could machine wash it, I haven't tried.

I use fleece, I imagine keeping the bottom clean with bedding would be more difficult. If I used bedding, I would probably line the bottom with something impervious to moisture- maybe little kid plastic placemats, something inexpensive, that's for sure.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
I bought it, and instantly shipped it back. The canvas blows.
If you can find the grids (kmart or bed bath and beyond?) you'd be much better off!

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
HELLO! :D ( hi MochaAndMoo too!)

the grids needed for a C&C used to be sold at Europris in 2009-2010, now it's just about impossible to find. so instead i bought 'luftgårder' which ranges from 180-260nkr at petstores or slightly cheaper here (broken link removed)

coroplast is harder to find for sale, but a friend in norway managed to get some through a friend working in a sign business. i had my coroplast mailed to me from abroad and it's not too bad if you're having it on a flat hard surface and securely taped together ! :D
20130322_193503.jpg this is the initial result of my cage, eventually i built the second floor better and moved the kitchen up there
20130320_114309.jpg this is slightly above the 2X4 requirement but i have NO idea on the price. Found in Tam Lade in Trondheim.

good luck on your cage :)

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
oh and of course another option is to go to Ikea, buy a bookshelf and build a cage with the parts. i find most norwegians are very handy at building things if they want to, so perhaps there's someone you could ask to help build you one :D

Frode789

Cavy Slave
Hi Varoda :)

The grids are nowhere to be found. I tried NO Staples, as US Staples has them. But of course, no luck.. I can get the coroplast from a sign shop nearby though. And I don't want to use 400 NOK on shipping them from UK.. :p As for the large cage, my local pet shop has a 120 cm x 60 cm cage for 1100 NOK. Don't have space for the ikea shelf cages :p (most I've seen) I will probably try with the luftegård items :)

Also @ mod: Why is this in Netherlands cat.? I'm not from there...

Frode789

Cavy Slave
Will I need to use anything other then standard bedding on the correx base? (I don't use fleece) To keep it clean and lasting long.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Don't know who moved it to Netherlands category. I've moved it to About Cages.

Golden2404

Cavy Slave
I don't know how long "after a while" is with regards to smell, but I've had a Midwest cage for about 6 months with no issues - smell or otherwise. I don't even do a lot to clean it. Every once in awhile, when the guinea pigs are having extended floor time, I will spray the tarp with vinegar/water, wipe it down and let it air dry. I suppose you could machine wash it, I haven't tried.

I use fleece, I imagine keeping the bottom clean with bedding would be more difficult. If I used bedding, I would probably line the bottom with something impervious to moisture- maybe little kid plastic placemats, something inexpensive, that's for sure.

I totally agree. If you take proper care of the cage it shouldnt smell whatsoever. I use bedding so its a bit more difficult to clean but it not to hard. All i do is spot clean a little every day and once every 1 to 2 weeks i completly clean the cage. I put gloves on and scoop most the bedding out then i unstrap it from the cage, empty it out the rest of the way and wipe it down with some vinegar/water just like above. Its a little more difficult to clean it if you use bedding but that would be the same with a c&c cage. And if you want to make it sturdier use some zip ties at the corners and put some coroplast over the canas. It really helps. Just place it on a hard surface and it should be fine.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Because I get a lot of emails and phone calls from people with cage questions and issues, that one-on-one feedback never sees the light of day. So, because this post is current AND because I just got this email from a customer, I thought I would pass it along:

"I have 2 guinea pigs that we adopted/rescued this week and the Midwest cage that they came in smells! I have washed everything, but it just wreaks.
Thank you."

This person just wanted to know when the orders she just placed would be shipped. I get a fair number of these kinds of comments over time.

Who knows how well or poorly the previous person took care of their pigs. We can assume poorly. But feedback nonetheless.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.