Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mattress Pads

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
I've been doing some experimenting for the past couple weeks since I've switched to fleece, and I've decided that mattress pads work the best as an absorbent layer on bottom. A "full" size mattress is 54" and it fits a standard C & C cage perfectly when folded in half (27")- you just have to cut off the stretchy part that is meant to hold it to the mattress.

Before this I have tried using terrycloth and puppy pads. The terrycloth got too frayed and I needed at least two layers of it, so it took a lot of time to arrange it after each cleaning. The puppy pads work great, but it is too expensive to keep buying new ones. Mattress pads are wonderful because they fold into place easily and don't require a lot of finessing like the terrycloth did. A mattress pad folded over once provides a lot of absorbency, and it has some fluff to keep the floor of the cage soft and comfy.

I just thought I'd share this info in case it is useful to someone!

I was wondering what to put beneath the fleece. When its dirty you just throw it in the wash then? What do you suggest to protect your carpet? I plan on giving them a stand, but is this enough?

The mattress pads are what I put underneath the fleece. The fleece wicks the moisture through and the mattress pads absorb it. I have two sets so I can take one out, and put a new one in while the other one is washing. For floor time, I put a plastic tarp down to protect the carpet then I stack the mattress pads and fleece on top. Vinyl shower curtains also work well as a protective bottom layer.

Check out this thread if you haven't already: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html.
It's practically everything you need to know about fleece!

Where did you get your mattress pads from/what's average cost?

I bought mine at Walmart- they were about $12 apiece. It's worth it to spend the money, though, because you only have to buy them once. With standard bedding your have to pay every time you refill the cage. Since my cage is 55 square feet, it used to cost me $100 to fill it with Carefresh once! I much prefer the mattress pads and fleece.

No, I completely agree :) I'm using fleece now and am trying to compare them cost-wise to the towels I'm currently using!

I have been using mattress pads for a couple years and I am a huge fan of them. Tried towels and they didn't work out for me.

I get all mine from a thrift store here in town. I pay anywhere from 50 cents to $2 per mattress pad. Most are full size but some are twin and queen. I just cut them down to the size I need them.

Yeah, I'm sticking with mattress pads from here on out. I literally bought all the full-size mattress pads that Walmart had at the time (there were eight)! I'm gonna to have to go back when they restock- it takes a lot of those to fill my cage all the way! :melodrama

I recycled the mattress pads from my children's crib and it works fabulously.

I will have to give the matress pads a try. Right now I use 2 really big beach towels. The matress pads sounds like it would work better.

Do you guys use any special type of mattress pad like waterproof or just a regular cotton pillow top?

Sounds good to me. I've been doing towels and either newspaper or puppy pads. I like puppy pads but they are expensive, and newspaper gets pretty nasty. I'm going to check out the thrift stores. It's just too painful to buy something brand new just to cover it with piggie pee.

You don't use anything else under the fleece, just two layers of mattress pads?

I take queen size mattress pads, then fold them in half and cut off the extra so they fit in the cage perfectly and give two layers. Originally I was using "full" size mattress pads, but they don't quite fit when folded and can shrink a little in the wash as well. I don't use anything else under the fleece, and it works perfectly. I love the mattress pads! Definitely try them, they work so well- and they are so nice and fluffy! The piggies seem much happier on them, and they are quieter too because of all the padding. I've just recently started using four layers, and it is so soft!

Do you guys use any special type of mattress pad like waterproof or just a regular cotton pillow top?

I just use regular cotton mattress pads from Walmart. Waterproof ones will block the urine from being absorbed, which defeats the whole purpose. If you can find some that are only waterproof on one side you could try that, but then you wouldn't be able to have more than one layer. I don't recommend the waterproof for that reason.

Thanks so much for the information!! I can't wait to try them out!

I went thrift store-ing and k-marting today and got some mattress pads. But- I wasn't paying much attention to the fabric and one of them is polyester. This won't work will it?

Ooh and also, I got the cutest thing. At the thrift store for $2 I got one of those little fluffy things that go along the sides of baby cribs. I put it inside my cage and it is adorable. It ties on easily and I think the piggies will like laying up against it because it's so fluffy.

Polyester mattress pads should work fine as long as they aren't waterproof. The fluffy crib things sound very cute, you should post a picture!

Ooh and also, I got the cutest thing. At the thrift store for $2 I got one of those little fluffy things that go along the sides of baby cribs. I put it inside my cage and it is adorable. It ties on easily and I think the piggies will like laying up against it because it's so fluffy.

That sounds so cute! I think I am going to go to the thrift store this week and see if I can find some crib bumpers and cotton mattress pads. Right now I am using newspaper with a sheet on top of the paper and fleece on that. I have to change the whole thing every 3 days because it gets so stinky! I am hoping that the matress pads will keep some of the smell away!

Yay for mattress pads!!! lol They are the best!

Mattress Pads

Here is my new thrift store find. I tried to get a picture of the whole cage but it was a little tough. It is sooo cute in person because it's so fluffy. Please pardon the poop.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.