Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury loss of back leg use. :(

guineawheeking

Cavy Slave
You guys! I was having trouble sleeping, and decided to go see my little piggies and watch tv with them.
When got to the cage, Lola was making her little noises and eating some hay as usual. Dutchess was sitting in a corner with this miserable vibe going on. I russled the hay like I usually do to get her all excited and to popcorn around. She lofted her front half up with her front legs... But not her back. I was so afraid when I saw her back legs drag across the cage! I immediately picked her up and examined her legs.
I called the vet and left a message asking them to call me as soon as they opened in the morning. They get peppers daily, romane lettuce, and spinach. Along with some extra treats at times.

I'm really worried she wont make through the night.
I'm not entirely sure about her age as she was bought from a petsore (I know. I didn't know better when I got her, but I absolutely love her to bits)

Has anyone had a piggy lose use of their back legs and been ok? Really looking for some hope as we sit and cuddle through the night. :(

Will update once we see the vet. (note: Vet is almost an hour away. Thinking of just showing up at the vets and being there when they unlock the doors.)

Thanks in advance guys.

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
I'm not entirely sure, but I believe this is a common sign of scurvy (lack of vitamin C). You need to make sure she's eating, since she's not able to wal, put a big pile of hay near her and a water bottle as well. I would also feed her some bell pepper to get some vit C in her.

guineawheeking

Cavy Slave
I had made sure to write that they get bell peppers everyday. Mostly green, but I do give them a red pepper once a week.
I just don't understand how she could have a lack of vitamin C. :( I even have those vitamins c tablets for them. :(
I made her a smaller space all to herself so she could get everything without really have to move. About the size of a 2x1 c and c. If it is just a lack of vitamins c, I hope this means she will be ok soon.
What if she never walks again? Will she have to spend the rest of her days on a small a$$ prison? :(

She has eaten a few pieces of bell pepper and drank some water while we are watching tv. She seems to lay down like she is resting, but then jolts up like she does when she gets startles or hears something she didn't like. I wish I could do more while we wait for the bets to open. My poor baby girl.

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry, I really don't know what to tell you. If the issue is vit c deficiency, she will regain use of her legs. It sounds like it may be something else though, like a back injury or something. The best bet is to take her to the vet and get her checked out because that's the only way to know what's wrong for sure. (I'm sure you know, but make sure the vet is an exotic vet)

pinky

Cavy Slave
Do you have a loft? Is it possible she fell off or was dropped?

guineawheeking

Cavy Slave
Well you guys. We made the long drive this morning to the vet. According to him, (an exotic vet) my little girl seems to have suffered a stroke and has lost use of one leg. The other has great reflexes and can be used, she just is chosing not to for some reason.

We have discovered she has a UTI, and is on antibiotics for it. She hasn't fallen to my knowledge and I handle her with great care.

She was peeing excessively, still is. And when we pick her up, she does a pee everytime. I can't pick her up without a towel. The vet gave us a syringe to make sure she stays hydrating since she is peeing so much. He told us that she might have trouble controlling her bladder for a while because of her stroke. When we pick her up, we "help" the urine escape.
He wasn't 100% sure she would fully recover. If she Is still peeing like this in three days I have to take her back and discuss options with him. :(

I would like to say, while typing and having her on my lap in her cuddle cup, she is moving her back right leg. She lifts herself up with it (lopsided of course) but only that one.
Keep my baby girl in your prayers and send her good vibes!

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
I'm sure she will be ok after a while,  she may be able to recover her other foot or else she will learn to hobble on three.  She is a little bit old, but I think she will be fine, good luck to you and her 

guineawheeking

Cavy Slave
Well everyone! Just thought I would post an update!
My little Dutchess seems to be doing fine! She is eating, drinking and moving around again :)
I don't need to syringe feed her water :)
She also seems to have regained a use of her back legs! Both of them! (called the vet. He thinks something else must have happened if she is able to move it a little)
I have hopes that she will be able to use her leg again! :)
I give her like soaks in a tiny tub to clean out her bum because of her UTI. no shampoo though! I don't think it wouldn't be good for her skin.

I think she is trying to popcorn too! :) I'm so glad and relieved. We have a vet appointment in a few days to check up.

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
I'm glad she's doing better!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.