Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Kiwis: Where do you house your guinea pigs?

See, I do know of pets that have been lost due to weather and predators in Australia. Pigs dying of heat stroke every summer (ACS Brisbane probably gets a dozen calls a week during the hot summer months about dead of dying pigs in outdoor cages). Pigs being eaten by snakes (one particularly traumatic one where the snake got in, ate one pig, killed another and was unable to get out again so the third pig was left permanently traumatised because of that), Pigs being eaten by dogs (even the family dog breaking into 'dog proof' cages and killing them), taken by 'human predators'. For me, there are just too many unknown variables with keeping pigs outdoors.

Same with rabbits, we have both the Calici and Myxo in the wild rabbit populations and whilst there is a vaccine for Calici...there is none in Australia for Myxo. I (not being a rabbit owner, or part of a rabbit group, apart from a couple fb rescue groups) still hear about a dozen rabbits dying of Myxo a year (outdoor bunnies, you do get some indoor bunnies getting it but with the right precautions it's a lot harder).

Regarding store bought cages--manufacturers measure at the largest dimension of the cage, even though the pigs actually sit in a smaller area, at the bottom. So always measure the lowest part of the tray, where the pigs sit.

I use a cage that I bought off trademe. It's almost equivalent to a 3x2, with ramps and multi levels. They can deliver, but since I was in paihia that time, I just picked it up from kerikeri

**sorry low quality photo. I just took this with my phone Kiwis: Where do you house your guinea pigs?

That cage still looks much too small.....

I FOUND GRIDS IN AUCKLAND!!!!!!!!!!

This Japanese store on Dominion Road sells them. I forgot the name, but it's the one after Target. A bit pricey at $4 per grid, though.

Awesome! Thanks so much:)

I FOUND GRIDS IN AUCKLAND!!!!!!!!!!

This Japanese store on Dominion Road sells them. I forgot the name, but it's the one after Target. A bit pricey at $4 per grid, though.

HI
Are they the same size as the US grids? I only ask cos the Japanesse store in the city sells grids but they are much longer than the normal grids.
Kiwis: Where do you house your guinea pigs?

This is my old cage with the longer grids. If the store you found sells the normal size grids then that is really great!! :) I found a cube set that I have made my new cage with but am still looking for some more!!

Is this Japanese store by any chance called Japanese Lifestyle? They're on Dominion Rd and I asked them about it on their Facebook page and they said they didn't have any :confused: Maybe I'm looking at the wrong one? Does anyone have the address? How long ago did you get yours? :)

Is this Japanese store by any chance called Japanese Lifestyle? They're on Dominion Rd and I asked them about it on their Facebook page and they said they didn't have any :confused: Maybe I'm looking at the wrong one? Does anyone have the address? How long ago did you get yours? :)

Does anyone know if they do have them?

I couldn't get grids here in tassie (Aus), could get them online but very expensive, so used coroplast (corflute) and wire shelving held together with duct tape for base and cable ties for wire sides. It took well under an hour to build 2, 3x4 sized cages this way and they cost around $100 each cage. Good luck finding suitable material. here evey one seems to keep rabbits and guineapigs outside. even though we don't have as many predators, a friend of mine had her 3 year old son recently find a dog had broken into their yard, rpi the wire off the hutch and kill their rabbit, obviously it was a very traumatic experience for them

In 2009 I had some guinea pigs and had them in an outdoor hutch as that is what everyone seemed to do. I lost babies and I believe it was due to the cold , as I am in Tasmania.

This year I got back into it but did lots more research and joined a cavy club. I have found that plenty of gp lovers keep their gp's inside or in a garage or shed. Mine were inside in a second living area but my bedroom is on the other side of the wall and though I am pleased they were happy , they made lots of noise and kept waking me up. They now are in the garage but it is attached to the house. I put blankets over their enclosures at night. Eventually,, I would like to have a bedroom that is set up for them.
I am also still working out the best bedding and so on. I am really enjoying them and glad I have worked out it is better for them inside than out.
Plenty of people have said how they have lost guinea pigs and after chatting with them it is either due to our severe cold with them outside or due to poor nutrition (this is my opinion only)

Last edited:
@MichelleO, good to see someone else from Tassie on here. Hope you and your piggies are going well.

I house my piggy's inside and outside

I house mine inside at nite and on wet days but days like today where it is beautiful weather I have them outside enjoying the fresh air, grass, and sunlight....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.